Mail delivery, or rather lack of it

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Governor
Professional
Professional

Mail delivery, or rather lack of it

Post by Governor »

I've read the old story about a Thai Post employee being found with a hoard of undelivered mail in his home, but there seems to still be a problem with mail deliveries here, at least in my experience.

We moved to an estate parrallel to Soi 112 late last year and whilst mail deliveries were eratic, we'd probably get a bunch of mail once a week, of late deliveries seem to have dried up all together, we've received nothing, apart from EMS, for about two months.

I try to go paperless where I can, but as some people require things like a statement to prove your address, I haven't gone paperless for tax, credit card and bank statements from Europe and Thailand, but nothing now arrives, it was problimatical when a letter from Bangkok Bank in London was sent in early July, but still hasn't arrived, and I need statements from out Thai bank for accounting purposes.

I don't know where the mail goes, it can't just disappear into the ether, but I really don't know where to start, I can't be the only person who is experiencing this, anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Scout
Professional
Professional

Re: Mail delivery, or rather lack of it

Post by Scout »

You might consider sending yourself a letter as a test to see if it makes it. Use your real TO address but a fictitious FROM address, then send another letter using your real TO address as both the TO and FROM address. Drive to Pranburi and mail both letters on the same day, it would be interesting to see what happens.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

You should also talk with your neighbors to see if they are having the same problem and what address they use, just to confirm if the address you are using is correct.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If you haven’t been already, go to the main Post Office with a proof of address and ask them if they have any post for your address - often in Thailand they have a dedicated postman for a given area and if he’s away for any reason, they don’t provide a substitute - our normal postman one time did his service becoming a Monk and there was no post for weeks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Post from Europe is a major problem. The fastest I have ever had is about 4 weeks, its generally close to 8. The longest is 4½ years. I( don't know how many I have never received.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It obviously depends where you live - I get my mail from the Cha Am post office and I’ve had post from the UK within 8 days on occasions, but normally within 2 weeks
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Ordinary mail from the UK is normally here in a week. EMS (tracking from the UK) has been here in as little as 3 working days. Seems each area is different and a lot depends on the post-guy responsible.
We used to have problems some time ago but for the last couple of years it's been very good.

Of course I can't know about mail that didn't arrive.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Although it might not be convenient for the OP, but there are PO boxes at both the main office in town and the one near the airport.

I've had a box for some 20 years now and am not aware of anything not arriving. Generally, post from the UK gets here in 1-2 weeks although there has been the occasional hiccup.

Obviously, you've got to check the thing yourself but at 500 THB for a year, I've found the facility very good. At least there's much less chance of post going astray as there may be to your house if the postman can't read English.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Mrs BB also pointed out PO Boxes at the Southern end of town to me yesterday (not far from the Soi 116 traffic lights).
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance: