Keto diet and low carb eating

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Re: Keto diet and low carb eating

Post by Henry 14th »

m_right wrote:Anyone know where I can get allulose?
Keto Hua Hin has closed the shop.
https://healthfoodthailand.com/en/

This place is pretty good for the hard to find ingredients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's available on Shopee.
However, why not try Erythritol. I've been using it since before covid. Zero calories and looks like and tastes like sugar.
I initially lost 26kg on a Keto diet which included Erythritol. I still use it today.
Erythritol, a type of carbohydrate called sugar alcohol, is one of the most common artificial sweeteners available. It's popular in foods marketed for weight loss and diabetes. It's produced naturally.
Calories in erythritol.
Sugar has 4 calories per gram but erythritol has zero. That's because your small intestine absorbs it quickly and gets it out of your body through urine within 24 hours. This means erythritol doesn't have a chance to "metabolize"—turn into energy in your body.

Taste. Erythritol tastes sweet. It's similar to table sugar.

Appearance. It's in the form of white crystal granules
Available from Lazada.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Stevia is another good option for a sugar replacement, can get it in Lotuss HH.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not a Keto person, and doubt I ever will be, but I've just seen this article, and thought it may be of interest to many who are.

Keto diets can cause premature ageing of the organs

The ketogenic diet, commonly known as the keto diet, has gained immense popularity due to its efficacy in rapid weight loss. Originally developed as a treatment for epilepsy, the diet involves a high intake of fats and a significant reduction in carbohydrates. While many people achieve their desired weight loss outcomes through this diet, recent research suggests that the long-term effects may not be as beneficial as previously thought. In particular, a study by researchers from the University of Texas Health San Antonio-USA has shed light on the potential for the keto diet to accelerate the ageing of vital organs such as the heart and kidneys.

The keto diet primarily focuses on a macronutrient distribution that heavily favours fats, with a typical intake comprising 55 to 60% of calories from fats, 30 to 35% from protein, and a mere 5 to 10% from carbohydrates. This starkly contrasts with the FDA’s recommendations, which advise limiting saturated fats and maintaining a higher carbohydrate intake. The dramatic shift in macronutrient consumption forces the body into a state of ketosis, where it burns fat for energy instead of carbohydrates. While this metabolic state can lead to significant weight loss, it also prompts several physiological changes that may not be entirely benign.

In ketosis, the liver converts fat into ketones, which become the primary energy source for the body. This process mimics starvation, which can be beneficial for short-term weight loss. However, long-term adherence to the keto diet raises concerns about its impact on overall health. The diet’s high-fat content, particularly saturated fats from sources like butter, beef, and pork, can increase the risk of heart disease if not carefully managed. Moreover, the reduced carbohydrate intake can lead to nutrient deficiencies, particularly in fibre, vitamins, and minerals essential for health.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/guides/best-of/h ... the-organs
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:43 pm I'm not a Keto person, and doubt I ever will be, but I've just seen this article, and thought it may be of interest to many who are.

Keto diets can cause premature ageing of the organs

The ketogenic diet, commonly known as the keto diet, has gained immense popularity due to its efficacy in rapid weight loss. Originally developed as a treatment for epilepsy, the diet involves a high intake of fats and a significant reduction in carbohydrates. While many people achieve their desired weight loss outcomes through this diet, recent research suggests that the long-term effects may not be as beneficial as previously thought. In particular, a study by researchers from the University of Texas Health San Antonio-USA has shed light on the potential for the keto diet to accelerate the ageing of vital organs such as the heart and kidneys.

The keto diet primarily focuses on a macronutrient distribution that heavily favours fats, with a typical intake comprising 55 to 60% of calories from fats, 30 to 35% from protein, and a mere 5 to 10% from carbohydrates. This starkly contrasts with the FDA’s recommendations, which advise limiting saturated fats and maintaining a higher carbohydrate intake. The dramatic shift in macronutrient consumption forces the body into a state of ketosis, where it burns fat for energy instead of carbohydrates. While this metabolic state can lead to significant weight loss, it also prompts several physiological changes that may not be entirely benign.

In ketosis, the liver converts fat into ketones, which become the primary energy source for the body. This process mimics starvation, which can be beneficial for short-term weight loss. However, long-term adherence to the keto diet raises concerns about its impact on overall health. The diet’s high-fat content, particularly saturated fats from sources like butter, beef, and pork, can increase the risk of heart disease if not carefully managed. Moreover, the reduced carbohydrate intake can lead to nutrient deficiencies, particularly in fibre, vitamins, and minerals essential for health.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/guides/best-of/h ... the-organs
From the link ... they're joking right ?

"Research findings: Accelerated cellular ageing
The study conducted on mice provided critical insights into how the keto diet impacts cellular ageing. The researchers divided the mice into two groups: a control group with a standard diet and a test group fed a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet similar to the keto diet. The test group’s diet mainly consisted of Crisco, a fat source with 84% unsaturated fat and 14% saturated fat. The results were alarming. Mice on the keto diet exhibited higher rates of cellular ageing in their major organs, particularly the heart and kidneys. This was evidenced by an accumulation of senescent cells, which are damaged cells that no longer divide but do not die off, leading to inflammation and potential organ damage."

Alarming ... no sh!t, who would have guessed ... :lach:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Like any diet, there are always downsides. Keto is supposed to be a very short-term change in eating habits to lose weight or reduce blood sugar levels fast, you're not supposed to do it for years on end.

I've managed to drop 4-5 kilos over the past two months doing a "partial Keto" diet which is not as strict ... a lot of running also helped!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I actually read the article, and it sounds as if you are doing it the right way.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance: