Keto diet and low carb eating

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
m_right
Guru
Guru

Keto diet and low carb eating

Post by m_right »

I am on vacation out of the country and have been on a keto diet. Lost lots of weight and feel good. Will be coming back shortly and I'm assuming it will be very hard to stay on a keto diet. Rice and noodles are not on the diet. No sugar etc.
All the stuff I love to eat in Thailand. No mangoes OMG :cry:
Has anyone been able to maintain a keto diet while here? Any tips.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
PeteC

Re: Keto Diet

Post by PeteC »

Here is an explanation as to what a keto diet is: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ke ... what-it-is
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've been close to a keto diet for the last 3 months due to high blood sugar. So far it's working as my last check confirmed.
As I'm sure you know, there is lots that you can eat. Many Thai dishes are very low in carbs.
But even with all the steak, pork chops, fish and dairy, I really miss making a sandwich or having something with a plate of chips.

You miss the simple things only when you can't have them!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Interesting. I'm in the UK at the moment and as usual have put on a few kilos with the heavy food there.

May look into this when I return to Thailand but it will seem weird eating a load of meat and fat to drop weight!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There are numerous articles about this diet if you Google it, not all of them are positive about the long term benefits - particularly the extra fat and cutting out fibre intake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I'm not giving up anything. Though do try to stick with what every diet recommends:
eat less
burn more
exercise

All in moderation of course
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Losing weight, increasing muscle, building stamina - none of it takes a fancy diet. Just eat what you want each day, within reason, in an 8 hour window (eg. 9am till 3pm). The 16 hours food rest allows your body to start getting its energy from unwanted fat deposits.

Exercise. 5 days cardio a week, even if it's a slow 15 min run to begin with, is essential. You'll be surprised how quick your stamina builds. Marathons dont take long to prepare for. A gym is not required as plenty of strength training/muscle building routines with no equipment (google is your friend). HIIT routines 3 times a week as part of your workout is a must.

Drink lots of water/coffee during the 16 non eating hours. Anything under 50 calories in these hours, your body will stay in its state of 'fasting'.

3 months you'll see massive improvement. 1 year of it you'll be strutting along the beach like the Adonis you deserve to be.

Thank me later for the extra 15 years of your life with a smoking hottie by your side. X
Last edited by Lost on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^
Forgot to add and this is a big one...

Give up the fizzy drinks (yes that includes beer :D ). Have a glass of wine instead or you ain't ever gonna see that six pack.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

A good daily diet example of what I eat in an 8 hour window.

First hour:

Large bowl of some sort of cereal. Then another (I have a big appetite - my weight? 72kg). 2 boiled eggs, 2 oranges and 3 bananas and some spinach.

2nd to 6th hour:

Not fussed... I eat whatever I want (the beauty of this 8 hour eating window)

7th hour:

Lots of meat. LOTS. I mean... I can eat a whole chicken.

Edit: My background - Was a teacher before. Tried loads of these 'get fit quick' diets. Moved back 2 UK and am a personal trainer now - after lots of trial and error. I know what works and I don't want any money to offer advice.
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

I love Thai food but they put sugar and msg in everything.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

The other day I want to a coffee shop that serves the best Americano I've ever had. I noticed in the pastry cabinet, which I usually avoid, something called a "คีโตบราวนี่". I had no idea what that might mean, so I ordered one. It was absolutely delicious. I later asked what คีโต meant and the barista replied: ไม่มีน้ำตาล (no sugar).

keto.jpg
keto.jpg (129.95 KiB) Viewed 99091 times
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

I'm sorry, what she actually said was: ไม่มีแป้งหรือน้ำตาล (No flour or sugar.)
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I lost ten kilos in three months during my last leave period in Thailand on a keto(ish) diet. Basically lots of meat, no potatoes, rice or flour. It is possible but if you eat out a lot as I do then the menu is a bit restrictive as a lot of a Thai food is loaded with sugar. Grilled meat covered in a sweet sauce etc is the norm. Even the roast chicken gets basted in a sauce. Only eating meat is not healthy so I also had Guava on occasion and leafy vegetables with meals. Beer was not an issue as my preference is low carb single malts.
Add in the occasional meal where straying from the path was required to be polite or the only way to eat and I was happy to lose the weight. The best option is to cook for yourself but it is possible to keep some kind of keto diet in Thailand.
Now I am back at work and struggling to maintain my weight as the Chinese cook is worse than Thais for adding sugar plus the only alcohol permissible is beer, Theakstons, Fullers and other proper stuff unfortunately as it is something I am partial to.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

10K or 22lbs in 13 weeks--thats about right. I am sceptical of any claim for a faster loss rate
The Keto diet is the latest of a series of low carb diets. Atkins was similar and was very trendy for years.
MaxHead
Novice
Novice

Post by MaxHead »

Ratsima wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:30 am I'm sorry, what she actually said was: ไม่มีแป้งหรือน้ำตาล (No flour or sugar.)
Where is this coffee shop?