Keto diet and low carb eating

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
m_right
Guru
Guru

Re: Keto diet and low carb eating

Post by m_right »

Most opinions are that keto testing kits are not useful. On kind are strips that you use with urine. Once you are further along your body uses all the ketones instead of pissing out the surplus. The strips will show less and less ketones as you get more adapted. If you are eating less then 20g of carbs you can assume you are in ketosis.
If you use reddit there are some good sbreddits that are useful.
https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I found that once in ketosis your mouth becomes very dry and the need to drink lots of water.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:09 pm I found that once in ketosis your mouth becomes very dry and the need to drink lots of water.
Anytime you're on any kind of diet you need to drink lots, at least 2 liters, of water every day.
When you lose weight the first 5k. is water and if you don't drink a lot of water you can damage your kidneys. Drink a cup (250ml) every waking hour and you'll be covered. If you go out, take a bottle of water with you. Yes, it's annoying to have pee all the time but that's preferable to damaged kidneys.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've been on other diets, usually low calorie, and never experienced such thirst. It is listed in 'signs when in ketosis' and puts it down to the lack of carbs:

This is because when your body burns fat instead of carbs, it produces ketones, which must be passed via frequent and increased urination.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, defo thirstier so drinking more water and peeing more so it must be working. Won't bother with the tests then.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Six weeks into Keto now and I've hit my target weight of 75kgs. :dance:

Eating out over the weekend away was a big challenge, every single Thai dish has sugar in it and you have to tell them specifically not to add it, to which you get very strange looks. To avoid the rice, we'd order the dish plus an omelet but couldn't avoid the cheap dirty palm oil they cook everything in. I'd hate to be diabetic in this country, it is very unhealthy eating out.

Will carry on Keto into March by which time none of my shorts will fit!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well done that man!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:51 am Six weeks into Keto now and I've hit my target weight of 75kgs. :dance:

Eating out over the weekend away was a big challenge, every single Thai dish has sugar in it and you have to tell them specifically not to add it, to which you get very strange looks. To avoid the rice, we'd order the dish plus an omelet but couldn't avoid the cheap dirty palm oil they cook everything in. I'd hate to be diabetic in this country, it is very unhealthy eating out.

Until such time as you buy new ones, I hope you’re a belt or braces man (or both) :wink:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I found the same - shorts were falling down and my shirts became extra baggy.

The upside is that clothes/shirts/T-shirts that I bought years ago now fit!!
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

buksida wrote:Six weeks into Keto now and I've hit my target weight of 75kgs. :dance:

Great effort and amazing how much weigh Keto folks lose without appearing to make much sacrifice, in the sense that most of the food is yummy and you never seems to go hungry.

It seems that after a couple of months being strictly Keto, the body becomes metabolically efficient. This basically mean that whilst it’s taken you 6 weeks of dedication to drastically reduce your carb intake, you can occasionally tuck into a carb heavy meal without effecting your keto compliance.

Providing you follow up a carb load meal with a fat intensive meal (eg. carb dinner, fat breakfast) the body will quickly click back into ketosis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

One sandwich can knock you out of Ketosis and it will take 3 - 4 days to get back into it.
Read it on google but since proved it to be true.
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

There are many benefits to the keto diet besides weight loss. I have been on Keto for three years. Not always in ketosis but lost a lot of weight and feel much more energy, sleep better and cognizant. My blood tests are much better. No longer pre-diabetic.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

HHTel wrote:One sandwich can knock you out of Ketosis and it will take 3 - 4 days to get back into it.
Read it on google but since proved it to be true.
Clearly agreed on the increase carb intake knocking you out of ketosis. There are numerous studies on the subject of metabolic flexibility and the body’s ability to quickly return back to ketosis after an intensive carb kick. It seems that the more tuned the body is to ketosis the quicker it can return to that state. It makes sense I guess especially if the body is restricted from carbs and energy sources immediately replaced with fats.

It seems that by simply fasting for a period of 36 hours (water intake only), the body begins to generate ketones and utilizes fat deposits as the primary energy source. Again it makes sense, restricting carbs completely will force the body to utilize stored fat as energy.

I wonder if your sandwich experiment could be retried after another sustained period of ketone generation, perhaps the 3-4 days you experienced first time would be reduced next time. It’s certainly what is being suggested in the literature I’ve read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

Going to do another month before venturing back into the world of carbs! Avoiding the sugar has been harder since it is in absolutely EVERYTHING here.

Once the body acclimates, it gets easier getting back into Keto again after getting knocked out of it.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The 'sandwich experiment' was not from experience. Just something I read on one of the Keto sites.