Kbank stupidity and the art of admitting their mistake

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
caller
Hero
Hero

Kbank stupidity and the art of admitting their mistake

Post by caller »

I thought I would relay this bemusing and annoying little incident that happened last week. All my banking is with Kbank.

It all began back in March, when I opened a Kbank account in Bkk (I already had a HH acct). I spend a fair bit of time there and thought I might as well save on the pennies when using an ATM. I opened the account at Emquartier using the other half's Bkk address. She was present.

But I still had open my first ever Kbank account from Korat, a city I used to live in but now rarely visit (I live mainly in Hua Hin) and when I do, it's just for one or two nights at most. So in June, when my Korat debit card was due to expire, rather than pay for a new one, I decided to close the account. I did this at Kbank in Bluport. I signed what I was asked to sign and all was duly completed with no problems.

Now although I visit Bkk regularly, sometimes they are for short stays and I end up transferring money online to my Bkk account that I never use. But on my recent trip I wanted to buy some plants (cash needed) so I needed to top up my account, which I duly did, just the day before I needed the cash.

But the following day when I tried to use the ATM, it said my card had insufficient data. Tried a 2nd time and got the same message, used another banks ATM and got the same message again. Mildly annoyed and assuming a technical glitch with the card, I found a local Kbank where I guessed the lack of English would be a problem. But the outcome was they told me that I had cancelled the account in June. Nope said I, I transferred money into the account yesterday. That confused them, I ended up having a chat with someone on the phone who claimed the same thing and no, despite having a copy of the photo page of my passport and driving license, I couldn't have any money either.

Defeated, the next day, I went to Emquartier to sort it out. This time I took my passport. Here I was told that whilst my bank account was indeed open, I had cancelled my card in June - no, no and thrice no, said I. I did no such thing, why would I, it makes no sense - then the penny dropped - Bluport!

Anyone ever been there? It's like musical chairs, the staff all seem to chinwag with each other whilst with customers, getting up to check and tap on colleagues screens, sometimes replacing them at the desk and so on. So that's what had happened - they had cancelled the wrong card!

Made no difference to Emquartier, I had to pay for a new card. I refused, they said they had no idea why my card had been cancelled but as far as they were concerned, I had done so. So out came the phone again, and the lady at the other end said the same thing, the phone went between me, the lady dealing with me and the person to be obeyed at the other end of the phone. And on and on it went. They were sticking to their guns and so was I until I said enough, I want to speak to someone more senior than I had up till then, That really threw them and the person at the other end of the phone told me to wait.

And wait I did. When she finally got back to me, it was the same lady saying they had decided to undertake a full investigation to find out what had happened. Fine with me. I was told I would probably be contacted later in the day and at about 6pm I was. A very polite lady who spoke excellent English called my mobile and told me that they had been in contact with Bluport and they had checked their documents and admitted that whilst cancelling my Korat account, they had somehow managed to cancel my Bkk debit card instead of the Korat card! Amazing to think they could do that (yap, yap, rabbit, rabbit, talk talk).

I was asked to return to Emquartier the next day and be so good as to pay for my new card and they would then reimburse me. Trusting her completely, I agreed to do so. My other half came with me (it was Saturday) she was sceptical about them reimbursing me. Have faith, said I. She didn't. She was right. We had to go through much of the whole charade again, minus the investigation and the phone did the rounds again, this time to a 4th person as well - my other half. Anyway much to my others half's disgust, I paid for a new card and awaited the call I was promised on Monday, plus the money. Monday came and went - nothing. Then on the Tuesday, the very pleasant lady did indeed call, apologised for the delay, explained the reason for that and confirmed I had just then had the 250 baht for the new card, reimbursed to my account, the auto text message confirmed the same.

Phew! She also cancelled my Korat card and transferred the few remaining sheckles left to My Bkk acct. Something else Bluport didn't do.

So that was that - all that hassle for 250 baht. It was never about the money, it was the principle. I knew that I had not cancelled my Bkk card which meant it had to be them and that it had to be their error. But the computer said no! And the next time I am in Bangkok, I will open an account with Bkk Bank as well!
Talk is cheap
buksida

Re: Kbank stupidity and the art of admitting their mistake

Post by buksida »

These incidents just highlight how utterly futile and counterproductive the concept of 'face' is here. And explains why most Thais will never challenge anything, even if they are right.

Fairplay to you, but Its probably no wonder they don't really like these pesky farangs who stand their ground.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

And most of these incidents would have been avoided if all branches was treated as the same bank no matter where hin Thailand you are. One account in Kasikorn is the same account all over Thailand. This is what I am used to from my home country. Never any issues with cards from different branches. 1 card from the same bank works all over the country.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

YNWA
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I went to Bangkok bank in Bluport to ask about opening an acct. and have my Social Security payments sent here. The woman my wife and I talked to was so rude I got up and walked out. My wife wasn't happy with that and I said I won't put up with someone being rude to me when I want to give them money. If the clerk lost face, that's her problem.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Bluport and MV Bangkok Bank are both part of their 'Hua Hin Branch'. Just go to one of the others. I've always found the staff in the MV office to be friendly and helpful, and you can do everything that you would do in their main office on Petchkasem.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

So, today I wanted to buy something online using my Kasikorn web shopping card. Something I've done many times before. But today things have changed.

Kasikorn online is no longer Kcyber Online Banking, it's now Kbiz. A brand new website with a brand new look, and still lacks some Kcyber functionality.

Web shopping card is now online debit card (just a change of name). I usually keep the spending limit at 0 baht and change it when using the "card". New web site new methodology. To change details and use the card you have to confirm changes and transactions via the KPlus app. Something I never set up. Previously OTP via SMS was the verification method. Not now! Though OTP seems to be still acceptable for find transfer.

So I downloaded the app and tried to register. First thing required is an ATM card or real debit card to use at an ATM to register KPlus. Mine expired 4 years ago, so can't do that. The only other way for me to register is to go to an actual branch. Couldn't do it by phone.

The help desk said it was an upgrade. To which I replied, "Call it what you like, but I disagree".
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't do anything too clever with online banking, but seeing your post, I've just tried it out. All of the easy stuff is still easy, although I got several offers to sign up for KPlus. I simply ignored the offers, and all was well.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:21 pm I don't do anything too clever with online banking, but seeing your post, I've just tried it out. All of the easy stuff is still easy, although I got several offers to sign up for KPlus. I simply ignored the offers, and all was well.
Same with me
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:I don't do anything too clever with online banking, but seeing your post, I've just tried it out. All of the easy stuff is still easy, although I got several offers to sign up for KPlus. I simply ignored the offers, and all was well.
Unfortunately refusing the offer of KPlus means I can't change the web shopping spending limit; I just end up with the spinning wheel of time. Fund transfer is OK.

I'll just have to adjust I suppose. Old age brings out the inner Luddite. Change is often inconvenient.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Nearly every IT "improvement" adds to the complexity & difficulty of use.