Wanted American found hiding in Hua Hin

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Wanted American found hiding in Hua Hin

Post by buksida »

The Immigration Police are responsible for foreigners residing in Thailand, especially those hiding from illegal charges in their countries, and even worse those using Thailand as a base to their illegal activities. The Immigration Police reported on 23 September 2019 of an American man hiding in Thailand. Officials were contacted from the Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) under emergency circumstances of an International Criminal named Derick.

Derick had committed serious crimes in Virginia and North Carolina. Some of his charges include owning explosives, robbery, breaking and entering, contempt of court, obstruction of justice, bomb threats, DUI charges, dealing marijuana, possession of weapons, pickpocketing, and multiple cases of theft.

The Virginia Court has issued an arrest warrant in his name under charges of marijuana sales and the possession of deadly weapons. In September 2019, the US heard the news that Derick has traveled into Thailand since September of 2014. He had a Visa allowing him to remain in the Kingdom until 19 October 2014, but there is no information of an extension of stay or information of Derick leaving the country.

Officials sent the information to HSI in the U.S. Embassy in Thailand, revealing that Derick is a wanted man with many criminal charges against him. He is an extremely dangerous individual to society and the Kingdom. The Immigration Police has been working with HSI, investigation results lead to information that Derick is hiding in Hua Hin District, Prachuap Khiri Khan Province.

http://thairesidents.com/local/american ... -security/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
nil
Professional
Professional

Re: Wanted American found hiding in Hua Hin

Post by nil »

You missed this important bit:

The Prachuap Khiri Khan Immigration Police were notified of the news leading to the successful arrest of Derick. The Biometrics system helped greatly in tracking Derick down. Now in Thailand, International criminals like Derick will have a much harder time if they decide to come into Thailand specifically to hide from their crimes believing that they can start over and become a nobody even after hurting so many people.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Seems to me that US authorities instituted the arrest. The article states "In September 2019, the US heard the news that Derick has traveled into Thailand since September of 2014".

How did biometrics help? He wasn't doing extensions or TM30s and 90 day reports.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

As soon as the Kingdom is filled with cctv cameras everywhere, more criminals will be caught, also, some non-criminals will be caught. Thailand is learning from China.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:57 pm As soon as the Kingdom is filled with cctv cameras everywhere, more criminals will be caught, also, some non-criminals will be caught. Thailand is learning from China.
I hope one day you will be a victim, then you will be happy to know that your aggressor has been identified thank's cctv cameras.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

europtimiste wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:33 pm
handdrummer wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:57 pm As soon as the Kingdom is filled with cctv cameras everywhere, more criminals will be caught, also, some non-criminals will be caught. Thailand is learning from China.
I hope one day you will be a victim, then you will be happy to know that your aggressor has been identified thank's cctv cameras.
Aw, you're so sweet, I'm really sorry the thorn in your tushy couldn't be removed.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I assume the TM 30 form played a vital part in his arrest,or maybe not.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Or maybe the UK? CCTV everywhere and with the publics approval.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

dundrillin wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:36 pm I assume the TM 30 form played a vital part in his arrest,or maybe not.
I doubt that he was reporting to anyone. Interesting that he could live here that many yrs. and not be found out.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

caller wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:51 pm
Or maybe the UK? CCTV everywhere and with the publics approval.
Who was it that said something about giving up freedom for safety? I don't know if freedom is being given up and the safety would be after the act. I knock you on the head, in public, the camera identifies me, I'm caught and your head still hurts. I suppose there's some satisfaction that the perpetrator got caught. The question remains; will the perp repeat his actions?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:10 pmWho was it that said something about giving up freedom for safety? I don't know if freedom is being given up and the safety would be after the act.
I think the attitude in the UK is, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I think the attitude in the UK is, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.

I guess no one ever gets wrongly arrested & imprisoned for a crime they didn't commit. It's a different situation in the US, where that happens frequently not to mention China, North Korea and other Communist countries. I'm not against cctv, just wary about it's application and a lifelong mistrust of governments.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

caller wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:23 pm
handdrummer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:10 pmWho was it that said something about giving up freedom for safety? I don't know if freedom is being given up and the safety would be after the act.
handdrummer wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:08 pm I guess no one ever gets wrongly arrested & imprisoned for a crime they didn't commit.
If you're caught on CCTV mugging an old lady in the town centre, it's a bit difficult to argue you didn't do it.
I take your point about being wrongly arrested and convicted, but that's a different kind of crime altogether. And hopefully a different era, in the UK at least. (Coincidentally, a pre-CCTV era...)
This is the way
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I take your point about being wrongly arrested and convicted, but that's a different kind of crime altogether. And hopefully a different era, in the UK at least. (Coincidentally, a pre-CCTV era...)

That's good to know. I remember when the Thames was cleaned up and an American asked why the English could do that and the Americans couldn't and the person being interviewed said, "It's because the English are more law abiding than the Americans." That's probably still true and a sad commentary on Americans.

On a side note; low crime is one of the things I like about living in Hua Hin.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

100 stabbed to death in london this year and you say more law abiding.