The Cheese Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

The Cheese Thread

Post by Big Boy »

A couple of years ago, a lot of (Farang Food) places started selling half decent cheese at acceptable prices. They started at 199฿/Kg. The price gradually crept up to 299฿/Kg. Today I found myself paying 360฿/Kg (almost £10/Kg). This is all imported food so the price should be going down, not up.

When a friend was here recently, he was buying English Mature Cheddar at Villa Market cheaper than the cheap guys.

I mainly buy cheese as a persuasion to one of my dogs to take her tablets. Put the tablets inside something else, and she chews it, and spits the tablets out. This is becoming an expensive con.

Does anybody know where cheese is still being sold relatively cheaply, or am I going to have to resort to the English Mature Cheddar at VM for my dog?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: Cheese

Post by centermid7 »

If it's not working then why continue with the "con" even though it might be somewhat less expensive?

To that end however I've found the cheese at Nany's Café Soi 88 to be OK for pricing as well as the import place up the canal road. Sorry the name escapes me as I write this.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, the cheese con is the only one that works, which is why I need cheese.

Nanys has been OTT for a few weeks, and the one along Canal Road (APP) has charged me 400฿/Kg a couple of times now. What was cheap, is no longer.

Points 48; Position 20
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Try Soi 88 Deli. They have a good collection for a good price as well as lots of other English food (pies, etc.).
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

That’s still a lot cheaper than at Makro where their price for portions of Scottish Mature Cheddar was 934 Baht a kilo - the only saving grace was it was “buy one get one free” but still 467 Baht a kilo equivalent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

You need to go to Siamburi's in Pattaya. I got some crumbly, very tasty Italian Romano cheese there a few weeks ago for 100 baht/kilo. 100 g rounds of Camembert and Brie were on special offer at 28 baht each..... They also have English & Australian cheddars there - though I can't remember the exact price. I'll be there again in a couple of days to stock up....
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not too keen on their other food, but cheese is cheese, and it's primarily not for me. I'll give it a try. Thank You.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

barrys wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:37 pm You need to go to Siamburi's in Pattaya. I got some crumbly, very tasty Italian Romano cheese there a few weeks ago for 100 baht/kilo. 100 g rounds of Camembert and Brie were on special offer at 28 baht each..... They also have English & Australian cheddars there - though I can't remember the exact price. I'll be there again in a couple of days to stock up....
Are you sure??
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

AP foods still has very good value cheese.
Good cheddar is the cheapest in HH.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just looked at Siamburi's facebook page. They do have great prices for cheese. Almost worthwhile planning a trip!!
125g of Brie or Camembert is 99 baht and there is other hard cheeses for around 200 - 300 baht a kilo.

Anyone going to Patts, I'd be happy to place an order plus commission!!!
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

wenshidi wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:06 pm AP foods still has very good value cheese.
I second that and an excellent Danish blue very reasonable price
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

wenshidi wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:06 pm AP foods still has very good value cheese.
It hasn't been the last couple of times I've been. If Deli88 (closest) is no good tomorrow, I will nip down to have a look. Thank you.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'd never heard of Siamburis, but you're right, they have some interesting stuff. A shame they don't have an easy to view stock list (thinking way beyond cheese for my dogs now), or do they?

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Where is Deli88?
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:42 pm I'd never heard of Siamburis, but you're right, they have some interesting stuff. A shame they don't have an easy to view stock list (thinking way beyond cheese for my dogs now), or do they?
They don't have a website - only a Facebook page. Having said that, I did inquire about something specific via Messenger a couple of weeks ago and their responses were almost immediate.

I'll be there again this week and will try to find out what web/printed info they have available. I'll also try to take pics of various items/prices and make them available if there's interest. About 5 min drive from Siamburi's there's also a new pie/pasty producer with pies starting at 60 baht each fresh or frozen. Went there a couple of weeks back and they had fresh sausage rolls - they were huge (I'd say a good 25 cm long) and delicious - and were selling at 3 for 120 baht.