The Cheese Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
pharvey

Re: The Cheese Thread

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:34 am It's 2.30 a.m. Pietro, did you eat too much cheese last night?
The joys of lockdown...... Body clock all over the shop.
HHTel wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:36 am Especially when a sadistic welshman rubs salt in the wounds!!!!!
:oops:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You're forgiven. Have to work on something to get our own back!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:52 pm When was the last time you tried them? In the last couple of months I've found the cheapest stuff on a par with Makro.
Cheese is still ridiculously priced here in general and the prices in AP are up a little, but definitely not double and still slightly cheaper than Macro (I compared like for like with a couple of them). Loaded up with a good selection anyway.

Unthinkable elsewhere to spend that much money on cheese but ... TIT.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Out of interest, what was the price per Kg please? For the cheap and nasty (dog grade) stuff I was paying 199/Kg. Last time we checked it was 349/Kg. Similar standard at Makro is around 750/2Kg. So yes, still slightly cheaper.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'd call that Aro cheese that is like plastic "dog grade". In AP it was 275 per kilo, in Macro the identical block was 305. Not much of a saving but still something.

I buy the red leicester and stronger cheddars which are a bit more, and Macro simply doesn't sell that or it is hideously expensive if it does.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank, that is quite a saving on what we've been paying in both shops. I'll get my son to check it out.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I buy the Mainland Vintage Cheddar and at AP it was 189 Baht whereas at Makro it was 245. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Less than £10 per kilo for 'Vintage Cheddar'. That's incredibly cheap for Thailand. That's cheaper than the UK price for vintage. That exact same cheese in the UK comes at £18 per kilo and was voted No.1 in the 'Choice taste test'!

Am I missing something here, or is 'Mainland Vintage' almost half the UK price here in Thailand.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... eeses.html
buksida

Post by buksida »

Not sure about that particular brand, but what I just paid for Red Leicester was probably about quadruple what it would cost in the UK. :shock:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

"Mainland" cheese is from New Zealand, and I believe Thailand has a special free trade or preferential trade deal with NZ.

https://www.mainland.co.nz/products/che ... block.html
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Even on Woolworths, Australia, online shopping site Mainland Vintage is $22.50 /kg - just over 500 baht.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

In NZ it's around $30 per kg, though currently half price in Countdown. So usually around 700 baht / kg.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Just to confirm, that when I bought it, there was 2 months left before the BBE date
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's not a problem, just a bit more matured :D

It wouldn't last 2 weeks, let alone 2 months in my house.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You look on their page below they have a matured 36 months named, "Epicure". I've never seen that here, but it's good.

TOPS has (usually) some good Waitrose cheese that's very aged and crumbly. They go by number and I'm not sure if 1 or 6 is the most mature age as we haven't bought any for a while. I think 6 is the most mature?

https://www.mainland.co.nz/products.html
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source