CP - Tesco deal approved

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: CP - Tesco deal approved

Post by migrant »

In the US there are large chain grocery stores on almost every corner, often more than one so shopping for best prices is easy. There are also mailers sent weekly advertising their specials. It's easy to buy steaks from one and chicken from the other. We try to buy at local markets also but when we need something that they don't have I'm not going to run to tesco and bic C to save a few baht so I don't even notice if the prices are higher at one, or the other.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Too bad you don't have a larger Big C there. Down south where I live, there are a few Big C super stores around the Tesco Lotus stores. I prefer Big-C because of the convenient outdoor parking rather than the congested underground parking at the Tesco Lotus stores. With the current merger I would prefer not to shop at the monopoly Tesco Lotus any more. I've seen what Walmart and Amazon have done in the US and it is not good for the customer.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Tesco deal bodes ill for business
The controversial acquisition of Tesco by CP Group could leave lasting damage on the economy, several trade commissioners have warned.

The government's competition watchdog approved the Group's US$10.6-billion acquisition of the British supermarket's Thai operations last week. The deal would see CP acquire 86.9% of Tesco's Thai operations and 100% of the UK retailer's Malaysian business, prospects that many say give the company an unfair hold on all segments of retail in Thailand.

Santichai Santawanpas, commissioner of the Office of Trade Competition Commission (OTCC) and the office's spokesman, one of the three members who voted against the CP-Tesco deal, said the merger could affect the economy by allowing for monopolies and economic domination.

The other members who voted against the deal were Sakon Varunyuwatana, chairperson of the Trade Competition, and Aramsri Rupan, commissioner. The remaining members of the TCC are Krisada Piampongsant, Somchart Sroythong, Visanu Vongsinsirikul and Somkiat Tankrittiwat.

According to Mr Santichai, companies like CP that are already manufacturers of raw and processed food have the potential to dominate a market once they venture into both wholesale and retail businesses by allowing them to control a range of distribution channels.

In doing this, there could result greater social and economic disparity, he said.

Mr Santichai said the deal is likely to dissuade new local and foreign players from entering the market due to the perception of unfair competition.

To be competitive, companies will need to come up with a business and marketing strategy that aims to boost efficiency and drive down costs. If they can't do this and adjust, small- and medium-sized companies in particular are in danger of going bust.

Suppliers too, however, will be affected by this and similar deals as they have the potential to disrupt supply chains and the bargaining power of suppliers, Mr Santichai said.

Such deals allow for unfair trade agreements and put suppliers at a disadvantage as they may be pressured into accepting and following tough conditions set by the asking party. This could include being told where they can or can't sell or display their products.

For consumers, with fewer competitors in the market, there might not be much difference in the prices and products available to them in the short term, but further down the line, there choices might become limited.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/20 ... r-business
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

CP-Tesco ruling riles rivals
A recent ruling by the Office of the Trade Competition Commission (OTCC) raised eyebrows when it granted conditional approval to the acquisition of the local retail business of Tesco by Charoen Pokphand (CP) Group, causing some to question if the Thai conglomerate has a monopoly.

Among the conditions of the US$10.6-billion acquisition deal is a ban on CP entering any other modern trade retail mergers for three years, excluding e-commerce.

The conglomerate will be required to buy more products from local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), and to honour existing contracts with suppliers for at least two years.

The transaction will result in "increased market power, but not a monopoly", said the OTCC in a statement.

"The deal may significantly lower competition, but won't create major damage to the economy or consumers' benefits."

CP already operates nearly 12,000 branches of 7-Eleven, as well as 134 branches of the Siam Makro wholesale chain.

Under the agreement, first announced almost eight months ago, CP Group will gain control of a network of about 2,000 Tesco Lotus hypermarkets and smaller stores across the country. CP also acquired a smaller number of stores in Malaysia as part of the transaction with the British retailer.

The OTCC approval marks the end of Tesco's 22-year presence in Thailand under the Tesco Lotus brand and cements CP Group's position as the country's dominant retailer.

CP is controlled by the Chearavanont family, the wealthiest in Thailand with a net worth of $27.3 billion, according to Forbes magazine.

Bloomberg estimates the family is the 13th richest in the world.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/20 ... les-rivals
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

CP Group drops Tesco in rebrand move

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/20 ... brand-move. (Photo at link)

Charoen Pokphand Group, the country's biggest agribusiness conglomerate, has dropped the Tesco brand in Thailand after the completion of a US$10.6 billion-baht purchase deal.

The change in brand marks the end of a 23-year presence of the British hypermarket chain in Thailand where it became a household brand with over 2,000 locations across the country. Of the total store locations, 400 are hypermarkets and Talad Lotus while the remaining 1,600 are mini-supermarkets.

On Monday, the CP Group presented a completely new store brand and uniform new brand name to "Lotus's'' which had been used as part of the old brand, Tesco Lotus, for its hypermarket in Ek-Mai Ramintra. The logo comes in a new pastel tone of green and yellow.

According to the spokesman for corporate communication of Ek-Chai Distribution Co, the operator of Lotus Hypermarket in Thailand, the company also unveiled new brand Tesco Lotus Express, a mini supermarket on Ekkachai 99 in Bangbon district to ''Lotus's go fresh''. With changes, more fresh products will be available at both concept stores.

The new brand showcases the smart shopping experience for the customer of today and tomorrow, while the innovations at both pilot stores have been designed to fit the new lifestyle of customers and fit their shopping experiences.

The new branding reflects a livelier and more vibrant shopping experience that will offer customers "a little delight every day''. The drop pin that appears in the new logo signifies that Lotus's is a one-store destination for customers while the S at the end stands for "Smart'' in all aspects, driven by four differentiators: total smart supply chain and innovative products; seamless omnichannel experience; integrated technology and data innovation and committed sustainability living, according to the spokesman.

"CP name change to Lotus's is because Tesco store has been largely called "Lotus'' for a long time. With the store's new pastel tone, it is likely to help attract new young modern lifestyle consumers,'' Chalit Limpanavech, an advisor to the Marketing Association of Thailand, said.

In March last year, CP Group won the competitive auction for the acquisition of Tesco's Asian operations in Thailand and Malaysia for $10.6 billion, resulting in one of Thailand's largest acquisitions.

CP Group beat beer tycoon Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi's TCC Group Co and the Chirathivat family's Central Group, Thailand's biggest retailer by market cap.

In November last year, the deal won the ruling of the Trade Competition Commission (TCC), but the fair trade body imposed certain conditions, including a three-year ban on an acquisition in the same sector, in a bid to cushion any impact that the transaction may cause.

The approval came after months of scrutiny by the TCC whose role is to curb monopolies and ensure fair trade competition.

Under the Trade Competition Act, proposed mergers that could lead to market dominance or a monopoly must be reviewed by the fair trade body.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Can't imagine Lotus's being pronounced correctly by Thais.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

"attract new young modern life style consumers."
Really?
What, exactly, is a new young modern life style consumer?
I can't tell by reading the sentence. Due to the lack of commas I can't make head or tail of it. The interpretations are quite wide.
Is this a new young person who consumes modern life styles? Or?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Call it what you like. The Thais I've spoken to this morning have said that they'll still call it Tesco's.

But gone are the Tesco 'own brand' and the blue and white value products.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:47 pm Call it what you like. The Thais I've spoken to this morning have said that they'll still call it Tesco's.

But gone are the Tesco 'own brand' and the blue and white value products.
Many have been gone for quite a while. It was the only place I could buy reasonably priced maple syrup.
Pinoydave
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pinoydave »

Just seems a silly name...... why not “Lotus Smart” if that’s what the “s” is supposed to be
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

Hi there Y’All

It’s me The understudy After a long hiatus I’m gonna pop up here post every once in a while.

After the CP Tesco deal to buy the Thai and Malaysian operations Today it was a report in the Bangkok Post that CP after the Purchase is completed has announced a big rebranding campaign dropping the Tesco Brand and returning the Lotus Brand which would change in all of its small midsize and hyper stores across Thailand.

This would mean that the Tesco/Lotus branch inside Hua Hin Market Village branch which is in need of some kind renovations anyways need to drop the Tesco Name aswell.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/20 ... brand-move.

Yours The understudy
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

This would mean that the Tesco/Lotus branch inside Hua Hin Market Village branch which is in need of some kind renovations
It wasn't that long ago that the store was completely re-organised/refurbished. I couldn't find stuff for weeks!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:22 am
This would mean that the Tesco/Lotus branch inside Hua Hin Market Village branch which is in need of some kind renovations
It wasn't that long ago that the store was completely re-organised/refurbished. I couldn't find stuff for weeks!!
Because there is no logic in Thailand, I still have trouble finding things in Lotus Land. That and after buying a product several times, it disappears, never to be seen again. Same thing at Villain market. :banghead:
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Pinoydave wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:34 pm Just seems a silly name...... why not “Lotus Smart” if that’s what the “s” is supposed to be
Apparently the "s" is supposed to stand for Super. I don't know how they figured apostrophe s = super.

I think they should have consulted with English speaking marketing professionals before deciding upon this 🤔
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

hhinner wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:53 am Can't imagine Lotus's being pronounced correctly by Thais.
I've never actually heard a Thai say Tesco Lotus, I've only ever heard "low tus"