Travelling in China in the 80's

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Bamboo Grove

Travelling in China in the 80's

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I know some folks here have lived and/or visited China already for a long time. Did any of you travel there in the 80's? My first trip was in 1986 when I took the trans-Siberian train on my own from Moscow to Beijing and spent about four weeks in China. A bit longer than I had planned as I missed my train back and had to buy a new ticket in Beijing.

This was followed by longer trips in 1987 and 1988 and the final trip on trans-Siberian was in 1989 when I arrived in the middle of Tian An Men incident and had to leave China quickly, only to end up in Bangkok and Thailand.

I just saw this article and it brought back a lot of memories of how things were then. The photo of Shanghai's Nanjing road is from about the era I first visited Shanghai and if you've been there recently, you can understand my surprise when I wnt there for my second time in 2017.

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-mag ... B1C4Tq-FXo
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re: Travelling in China in the 80's

Post by Ratsima »

I went in 1982 on a tour my mother had arranged: Beijing, Shanghai, Datong, Taiyuan and Xian. For me the highlight was the steam locomotive factory in Datong.

I went again in 1992 on another tour arranged by Mom. The plan was to cruise the Three Gorges before the dam was built. Unfortunately, my stepfather had a heart attack in Shanghai, spent a month in the hospital there and then died. I had many strange and wondrous adventures during that sojourn in Shanghai.

I haven't been back.

After my Mother died I found this photo amongst her stuff. I believe it is of an old bridge over the Puhuitang River in Shanghai. I have no recollection of being there. It must have been taken in 1982.
1982_shanghai.jpg
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I had a look at Putuitang -river as the name was strange to me. It's in Qipao -area, a bit outside the centre area of Shanghai. I went there in 2017 and took photos of these two bridges there. Must be the same area. It is now a big tourist area as a model of ancient water villages of the area.
Qipao 1.jpg
Qipao 1.jpg (161.19 KiB) Viewed 141 times
Qipao 2.jpg
Qipao 2.jpg (118.41 KiB) Viewed 141 times
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

This must be the bridge in your photo.
qipao bridge.jpg
qipao bridge.jpg (136.82 KiB) Viewed 135 times
https://fineartamerica.com/featured/puh ... -till.html