Vitamin supplements

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
PeteC

Re: Vitamin supplements

Post by PeteC »

Here are the IHerb Thailand shipping T&C's: https://th.iherb.com/shipping
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:50 am Dunno, it was free, but I think the 'Plus' option which uses DHL.

So you're saying I was lucky to escape customs!? :duck:
When I've ordered and used DHL, it was DHL only until it reached Thailand then, the package switched to the Thai post office. After "losing" 3 orders in one year, I stopped ordering from iherb. Not there fault: the parcels disappeared between being unloaded from the plane and being taken to Customs. The PO had a record of the parcels arriving (supplied by DHL) but no record of receiving them.

No I didn't say you were lucky to escape customs, I told you what my experience has been. :tsk:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Reading that, it seems I was even more lucky to actually receive the package. :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:41 am Reading that, it seems I was even more lucky to actually receive the package. :duck:
Yup.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

FYI Buks re my mention of an IHerb shipment on the other thread.....This is the third shipment which has gone from California east through Germany rather than the Pacific route. This may be the new standard in these Covid times. Yes, it is with DHL on "Post Plus" but before Covid DHL used to go west through Korea, Shenzen and/or Hong Kong enroute to Bangkok.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Was very impressed with iHerb prices and delivery a few months ago - but I fear things could be changing on the customs front as the junta needs to fill its coffers.

So ... I started searching locally for vitamins and found these on Shopee for 750 baht (Laz had the same but 20% dearer). The equivalent Centrum vitamins (Silver 50+) are over 4 times the price. :shock:

kirkland.jpg
kirkland.jpg (29.61 KiB) Viewed 1037 times

Edit: added link - https://shopee.co.th/Kirkland-Mature-Mu ... 3445633997

Edit 2: I'm not actually 50 yet - but want to feel better when I get there. :laugh:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you very much for that - I will definitely go that way next time.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

buksida wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:21 pm Was very impressed with iHerb prices and delivery a few months ago - but I fear things could be changing on the customs front as the junta needs to fill its coffers.

So ... I started searching locally for vitamins and found these on Shopee for 750 baht (Laz had the same but 20% dearer). The equivalent Centrum vitamins (Silver 50+) are over 4 times the price. :shock:

kirkland.jpg

Edit: added link - https://shopee.co.th/Kirkland-Mature-Mu ... 3445633997

Edit 2: I'm not actually 50 yet - but want to feel better when I get there. :laugh:
Interesting, Kirkland is the basic house brand for Costco (Think Makro on steroids). They sell everything from these to Kirkland alcohol, and everything in between. I've bought the Kirkland brand for years, in fact brought some back this trip, and have never been disappointed.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

it's always good to have some anti-freeze in your vitamins: keeps you from over-heating and freezing -up. I could go on and break down nearly all the problems with this vitamin but no one really cares. If you do a urine test you'l find most of it's in your urine and not where you need it to be. It's called pissing your money away. There's a reason it's cheap.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Got any science to back that statement up? Would be genuinely interested to hear why the Centrums, for example, are four times the price and claim to have the same stuff in them.

It may well be the placebo effect (I haven't tested my piss lately) ... but I definitely feel better taking multivits, especially magnesium and milk thistle, than when I'm not.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A quick google will produce many 'medical' sites that agree with handrummer. There are also many sites that do not.
In general, most doctors/dietitians agree that ideally all your vitamin requirement should be from your diet.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Well I know that, it's pretty obvious and why vitamins are called 'supplements'. Your body will only absorb what it needs and expel the rest.

However, the brand has been specifically fingered here because it's cheap ... and most of what you find on Google these days has been paid for, or keyword-stuffed, to get at the top of the search listings so they improve their ad revenue. I'm looking for science.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I am medically required to take multi-vitamins daily since an operation in 2012. At that time, the doctors told ne any brand because they all do much of a muchness. In fact they recommended a Tesco (UK) own brand at the time for 3 reasons:

- They were chewy
- They tasted good
- They were cheap

I was told the expensive brands would not bring me (personally) any real additional benefits. I've tried a few over the years, and none of them make me feel any better or any worse, so I guess the docs were right.

What will make me feel better though is 400 tabs for just 750฿.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Look up sources of magnesium oxide. You'll find that you absorb only 4% of what you're taking. The same is true of all oxides. The only way you can know how much of any nutrient you need (if any), is to have a blood test for vitamins. So far I haven't found a lab in Hua Hin that does one. They can do minerals & vit. C.

Having worked in the retail end of the vitamin/supplement business, I hate to see people ripped off by taking useless products. I know that we don't have good choices here but, unless there's a medical reason to take vitamins, as HHTell said, you're better off getting what you need from food. If you feel better, i.e., have more energy from taking a multi vitamin, chances are it's the "B's" that are doing it.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

https://www.mdlinx.com/article/dangerou ... CZjX1sjB2K

Not sure about the veracity of the site but it claims to be scientific.

A decent read.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.