Immigration scraps TM28 reporting requirements

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
buksida

Immigration scraps TM28 reporting requirements

Post by buksida »

Thai immigration have scrapped the TM28 form’s change-of-address reporting requirements for all but a few foreigners. The changes came into effect, with little fanfare, on January 28.

The TM28 is still listed on the Immigration website but there’s now a long list of exceptions added which means that almost no one will be required to submit the forms. In 2019 a crackdown on the TM28 and TM30 forms caused an uproar in sections of the expat community who cried foul about their lives being made more difficult, and the inconveniences and impracticalities of the forms.

TM28, listed under section 37 of the Thai Immigration Act, has been an official requirement since 1979 but was rarely enforced by immigration officials. But last year officials started enforcing the law more literally, causing widespread outrage. Many foreigners, including long term expats living in Thailand, said they didn’t even know the requirement existed.

At the time Immigration officials were saying the crackdown was necessary to maintain better national security and keep track of all foreigners working and living in Thailand.

The list of exceptions, now added to the form, includes just about every foreigner – diplomats and those performing official duties, students, retirees, foreigners working in Thailand, foreigners married to a Thai or are the parent of a Thai child.

The previous requirements, which caused so much discussion last year, stated that foreigners who had stayed in another province for more than 24 hours were have to inform their local immigration office with a filled out TM28 form when they returned to their usual residential address.

Foreigners will still need to inform immigration if they change address permanently.

Last year’s crackdown on the TM28 also coincided with a stricter enforcement of the TM30. That form required hotels, guesthouses and property owners to report foreigners staying overnight at their address.

The crackdowns on both TM28 and TM30 resulted in Thai immigration being heavily criticised by segments of the Thai expat community and foreign businesses in Thailand, who claimed that both forms were counter-productive to help attract businesses and foreigners to the country and were “outdated” and “draconian”.

Official forums were held, inviting senior officers from Immigration, and petitions were launched, and countless articles written, all to bring the plight of foreigners to the attention of officials.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/ ... quirements
Official forms: https://www.immigration.go.th/read?cont ... 02b11f9cb9
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Immigration scraps TM28 reporting requirements

Post by Nereus »

So, ambiguous as usual, but it appears that 90 day reporting may also be scrapped:
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...…………………..
Regulation of Royal Thai Police on notification of changing residence, moving, travelling to any province and staying there longer than twenty-four hours and notification of staying in the Kingdom longer than ninety days of an alien who has been granted a permission to temporarily stay in the Kingdom
Section 6.18
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

I thought TM30 was (and still is?) the issue.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They were both an issue. Farangs were being penalised at Immigration for no TM28. Hotels and house masters were penalised for no TM30.

TM30 remains.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

From what I read it was foreigners being fined for not having a TM30 on raids by immigration and at their offices. If the house owner refused to submit it or pay the fine then the foreigner has to pay. I don’t see anything has changed here. If you go away for a weekend, stay in a hotel who do a TM30 you are still expected to have another one when you return.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that is what the law states. However, I queued 2 hours a couple of weeks ago to do my TM28 and Mrs BB her TM30. When we got to the front of the queue we were abruptly told, "Not needed any more." 2 weeks previous, I was at Bluport to do my 90 day, and they were checking every Farang for TM28. Because of the checks, there was a backlog of customers, and quite a few were caught.

As has been said many times on here, it has nothing to do with the law, it is all about who serves you on the day.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Well, I guess we need an English language page. :roll:
Foreigners will still need to inform immigration if they change address permanently.
The rest of it is now not required!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The OP and I think you are talking about the TM28, and I agree.

I think you need to read nil's post, who is querying the actual use of the TM30, and what has changed. I was simply pointing out the difference between the TM28 and TM30. I then talked of incidents 8 and 5 weeks ago that was relevant i.e. at that time we were told TM30 had also been scrapped, which looking at the OP it most certainly hasn't.

It still comes down to the clerk that deals with you on the day.

Points 48; Position 20
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

buksida wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:56 am Thai immigration have scrapped the TM28 form’s change-of-address reporting requirements for all but a few foreigners. The changes came into effect, with little fanfare, on January 28.

The TM28 is still listed on the Immigration website but there’s now a long list of exceptions added which means that almost no one will be required to submit the forms. In 2019 a crackdown on the TM28 and TM30 forms caused an uproar in sections of the expat community who cried foul about their lives being made more difficult, and the inconveniences and impracticalities of the forms.

TM28, listed under section 37 of the Thai Immigration Act, has been an official requirement since 1979 but was rarely enforced by immigration officials. But last year officials started enforcing the law more literally, causing widespread outrage. Many foreigners, including long term expats living in Thailand, said they didn’t even know the requirement existed.

At the time Immigration officials were saying the crackdown was necessary to maintain better national security and keep track of all foreigners working and living in Thailand.

The list of exceptions, now added to the form, includes just about every foreigner – diplomats and those performing official duties, students, retirees, foreigners working in Thailand, foreigners married to a Thai or are the parent of a Thai child.

The previous requirements, which caused so much discussion last year, stated that foreigners who had stayed in another province for more than 24 hours were have to inform their local immigration office with a filled out TM28 form when they returned to their usual residential address.

Last year’s crackdown on the TM28 also coincided with a stricter enforcement of the TM30. That form required hotels, guesthouses and property owners to report foreigners staying overnight at their address.

The crackdowns on both TM28 and TM30 resulted in Thai immigration being heavily criticised by segments of the Thai expat community and foreign businesses in Thailand, who claimed that both forms were counter-productive to help attract businesses and foreigners to the country and were “outdated” and “draconian”.

Official forums were held, inviting senior officers from Immigration, and petitions were launched, and countless articles written, all to bring the plight of foreigners to the attention of officials.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/ ... quirements
Official forms: https://www.immigration.go.th/read?cont ... 02b11f9cb9
Do you have the actual Thai Police order in Thai or a link regarding this subject?
Thank
you, hahuahin
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:30 pm The OP and I think you are talking about the TM28, and I agree.

I think you need to read nil's post, who is querying the actual use of the TM30, and what has changed. I was simply pointing out the difference between the TM28 and TM30. I then talked of incidents 8 and 5 weeks ago that was relevant i.e. at that time we were told TM30 had also been scrapped, which looking at the OP it most certainly hasn't.

It still comes down to the clerk that deals with you on the day.
So is it correct that now you, a hotel, or any "possessor" of a "property" that allows some alien to stay there still has to file a TM 30? But me as an alien does not have to file a TM 28? (unless I make a permanent change of address)

If that is the case then do I, or you, as an alien still have to file a TM 30 when I return to my declared address? If so, how then does Immigration keep track of just where I am staying, more so if only a hotel bothers to file a TM 30?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:46 pm
Big Boy wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:30 pm It still comes down to the clerk that deals with you on the day.
So is it correct that now you, a hotel, or any "possessor" of a "property" that allows some alien to stay there still has to file a TM 30? But me as an alien does not have to file a TM 28? (unless I make a permanent change of address)

If that is the case then do I, or you, as an alien still have to file a TM 30 when I return to my declared address? If so, how then does Immigration keep track of just where I am staying, more so if only a hotel bothers to file a TM 30?
I believe it is correct, and this announcement does not say it has scrapped the requirement for TM30. However, when Mrs BB dutifully presented her TM30 to Immigration on 10 Jan 20 (something she had done several times since the farce began without question), she was told it was no longer required for travel in Thailand. So your guess is as good as mine.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Hahuahin wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:36 pm Do you have the actual Thai Police order in Thai or a link regarding this subject?
No, but as mentioned above any 'order' is not going to be worth the piece of paper its written on as immigration offices/officers do what they want and there is zero consistency between them or the days of the week.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What is this from the post above? https://www.immigration.go.th/read?cont ... 02b11f9cb9

Looks like the official order to me.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think immigration hated the TM28 as much as anyone else, it was a never ending paper trail exercise that was yesterdays news. I think there was also massive non-compliance which clearly negated any claimed effectiveness. So in short, it was unfit for purpose which was probably why it had long been forgotten about until the present set of numpties resurrected it.

I wonder how long it will be until the TM30 is also amended to ignore permanent residencies.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

It was basically a cash cow - a way to get extra revenue from fines when the tourism industry is collapsing - the 90 day report that Thaksin brought in was another example.

Both are exercises in futility but they keep bureaucrats in jobs and tip jars full.