Flying to/from Thailand (Covid Era)

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Blot
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Flying into Thailand, latest updates

Post by Blot »

Quite correct DTHH, my apologies. The flights start on 15 May. Having said that, would you know what the quarantine rules will be. My preference would of course be to quarantine at home in HH.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

I am also keen to know the answer to this. I should be ready to fly back to Thailand around mid-May and really don't fancy any more quarantine having just completed 14-days in Borneo in a real shitty 1-star hotel (official Quarantine centre).
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

We'll keep an eye on the news daily and post up what we find concerning re-opening requirements. The closure extension was only advised this morning and there's no guarantee May 15 will remain a firm date. Stay tuned.... :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

As far as I know, quarantine for returnees is compulsory state quarantine. I guess that came into being because people couldn't be trusted.
Not sure if this vid has already been posted:

Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

At least that guy had a table and chair... I didn't even have that :cuss:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Flying into Thailand, latest updates

Post by Dannie Boy »

If/when they open up the airports to international travellers then I doubt that they will have the capacity to provide state quarantine facilities so maybe quarantine at home with some kind of tracking app on your phone - just make sure you don’t accidentally leave it at home when you go to the bar!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Looks like the no fly is extended until May 31

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -to-may-31
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Looks like more Mexican food for me, may have to buy new clothes
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by HHTel »

I've just been speaking with my daughter who is stranded in the US. Her scheduled flight with Qatar at the end of the month is unlikely to fly. The Thai government as of late have waited until the very last day of restrictions before announcing measures in place for the following month.
She inquired of the Thai Embassy with regard to these 'repatriation flights'. I assumed that they were paid for or at least subsidised by the government. Apparently not. She told me that the prices are 'crazy' and way out of what her US family can afford plus they have to have 500 bookings before a flight can be arranged..
So it looks like she'll be stuck there until 'normal services are resumed!'
In the meantime, we've got her kids while she lives on her husband's farm, miles from anywhere and her days are spent horse riding around the countryside!. She definitely has the best part of the deal!!!

:banghead: :banghead:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

They could fly everybody to Thailand and quarantine them on a island for 14 days. Worked in the US in the early 1900's. My grandparents spent a week on an island in New York harbor when they came from Russia in 1907.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by migrant »

HHTel wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:53 pm I've just been speaking with my daughter who is stranded in the US. Her scheduled flight with Qatar at the end of the month is unlikely to fly. The Thai government as of late have waited until the very last day of restrictions before announcing measures in place for the following month.
She inquired of the Thai Embassy with regard to these 'repatriation flights'. I assumed that they were paid for or at least subsidised by the government. Apparently not. She told me that the prices are 'crazy' and way out of what her US family can afford plus they have to have 500 bookings before a flight can be arranged..
So it looks like she'll be stuck there until 'normal services are resumed!'
In the meantime, we've got her kids while she lives on her husband's farm, miles from anywhere and her days are spent horse riding around the countryside!. She definitely has the best part of the deal!!!

:banghead: :banghead:
I booked for June 5 (wishful thinking) and used miles, but prices in June, roundtrip from Los Angeles, are running 800-900 which is slightly higher than normal but not outrageously higher
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

50,000 baht for government sponsored Thai Airlines flight. One way from Texas. Paid up front.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

HHTel wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:34 pm 50,000 baht for government sponsored Thai Airlines flight. One way from Texas. Paid up front.
Ouch!

They are showing flights out on Travelocity. The price I wrote was round trip so one way would be cheaper. Do they have to fly the Government sponsored?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Surely, with every other seat having to fly empty, we have to expect the price to double. I'm just expecting vastly increased air fares to be the new norm.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I read an article from an aviation “expert” who was saying that (most) airplanes recirculate the air every few minutes so social distancing is almost irrelevant. Any empty seats will be just a token to make people feel safer without adding anything but of course, seriously reducing the income or need to increase fares.