Upgrading Windows Operating System

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Upgrading Windows Operating System

Post by dtaai-maai »

HarryVardon wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:02 pm The only problem with a laptop is the screen size. If you want a bigger screen you will be forced to buy an all-in-one or other desktop.
I have a 32" TV and a 22" monitor attached to my laptop, which has done me nicely for the last few years.
This is the way
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Some very good advice and information however as a mariner using the cloud for data is a bad idea. It relies on having an internet connection which on a ship is very slow at the best of times. Not a problem if you are at home and have a good internet connection either by cable or mobile internet but how reliable is that connection. Back up to the cloud by all means but having an external hard drive means your data is going to be available. In the case of a power outage your battery powered laptop will still work but if your wireless is down and you don't have a mobile data package you can only use the data on the machines hard drive.
Obviously only applicable to a minority but worth considering by some. Perhaps a bit archaic but it works for me.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I see your problem of course but normal users do have good internet always available and very, very few people tend to make regular back-ups. When a computer does go wrong the most vulnerable component is the hard disk! When this does happen the data can hardly ever be recovered.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

People who do not keep their data both on the computer, at least on one external device AND in the cloud, are really not concerned about loosing their data! That is my humble opinion.
YNWA
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

huahin4ever wrote:People who do not keep their data both on the computer, at least on one external device AND in the cloud, are really not concerned about loosing their data! That is my humble opinion.
Couldn't agree more! No single place is good enough if you have something you consider valuable, and I guess that most people have a few things they don't want to loose.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

OK tech gurus. Does this spec sound reasonable?

PC computer specifications :
CPU : Intel Core i3 -9100 3.6GHz
M/B : Gigabyte HD3 socket 1151 v.2
Ram : Kingston DDR4 4GB/2666
SSD : Apacer 480GB SATA
ODD : DVD-RW Lite-On
Case : ATX Tsunami Pro (NP)
PSU : Dtech 800w Full

Price 13,800 THB (incl services install OS and Program).

I asked for Windows 10.

I don't mind paying a bit more for say 8GB Ram or a better CPU if it won't be extortionate and will make a big difference to performance. And should I be asking about how many ports does it have? I'm really pretty clueless.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You need to wait for a better guru than me, but I haven't seen an i3 chip advertised in anything for a long time. Standard seems to be i5, or i7 if you want to blaze away.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Very basic spec which will be slow in a couple of years. If budget permits go for an i5 and 8GB of memory.

No mention of GPU either so I'm guessing its onboard which will limit things like video editing, gaming, and multiple screens. If you don't need that stuff don't worry about a graphics card.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks. I've sent an email already asking for a revised quote for i5 and 8GB. Doubt I'll need to video edit etc so can probably forget that bit.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Enjoy. It'll be like driving a Ferarri after ten years in a Fiesta!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

So, for an extra 3K THB I can get the Ferrari??

PC computer specifications :
CPU : Intel Core i5 -9400 2.9GHz
M/B : Gigabyte HD3 socket 1151 v.2
Ram : Kingston DDR4 8GB/2666
SSD : Apacer 480GB SATA
ODD : DVD-RW Lite-On
Case : ATX Tsunami Pro (NP)
PSU : Dtech 800w Full
**Port USB 3.1 Gen 1 (4 ports on the back panel, 2 ports avalable through the internal USB headers)
**Port USB 2.0/1.1 ( 2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports avalable through the internal USB headers)

Price : 16,870 bath. (include sevices install OS+Program)

That looks like good news. It's amazing. I get into golf clubs which cost a fair bit of money and occasionally I fork out but it's the first time I've ever tried to research a computer and its components - CPU, RAM etc etc.

I still know nothing but the components start to make sense.

Thanks for all the advice. I now just have to hope that my data can be transferred as one of my hard drives is definitely dodgy. I'm trying to back up as much as I can before the computer man does it. But that's not tomorrow.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I transferred all my calibre data recently (I'm guessing that's one of the things you want to transfer). All you have to do is right click on the library icon and follow the 'export data' instructions, saving it onto a new folder that you then save on a USB stick. Then download calibre on your new laptop and go through the same process, folllowing import instructions.
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

Its a very good idea to keep all files and data off the system disk and on an external HDD.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:17 am Its a very good idea to keep all files and data off the system disk and on an external HDD.
Which then begs the question; which is the better type of external HD, SSD or a standard spinning type?

Like everything else with computers there is an endless choice! And some of them have eye watering prices!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Depends on what you're storing. SSDs are better for speed, which is why they're used for the OS, and standard drives are better for space.