Boundary/Neighbour Dispute

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Boundary/Neighbour Dispute

Post by Khundon1975 »

When we had a beachfront property on Neabkehardt Road, a section of the compound next to us was sold to a Thai woman with an American husband.
They decided to construct a property along the boundary dividing our house and business and their new building. However, they did keep a 1 meter gap as we had windows along our wall that faced the new buildings.
No real problem for us, as we still had views from our windows.
However, they then decided to build a high (7ft) boundary wall all the way down our garden boundary to the top of the sea wall and it looked awful, plus it cut off the sea breeze that we used to have which crossed our garden and it cut off our views of the beach going North towards the palace.
FIL was a high ranking cop back then and he spoke to someone at the palace (our house and compound at one time belonged to the palace) and a couple of officers with all the gold braid turned up and they ordered that the wall height had to be reduced to max 5ft in height for the last 50ft down to the sea wall. This meant we kept our sea breeze and our beach and sea views.
I suspect that there was some sort of royal restriction placed on the beach front properties and the new owners were just trying it on. Either way, the wall height was reduced within hours.

I’m sorry about your predicament, but the chances of doing much about it are very slim. Maybe get a bit of legal advice on the legality of what’s been built, then go from there. 👌
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Boundary/Neighbour Dispute

Post by HHTel »

Before you build a fence or wall around your property you must first have permission from the local Tambon Administration Organization (OrBorTor) or from the local municipality (tessabaan) to ensure that it will not contravene the Building Control Act. A fence or wall that runs along the boundary with public land must not be over three meters tall, and before you build a fence or a wall along any other boundary, if it will encroach on any part of the adjacent lot, you must first have written permission from the owner of that lot. If the land next door is private, there is no limit to the height of the wall or fence you may apply for, though the local authority has the power to restrict the height to which you may build. If a wall is built in violation of any regulations, the OrBorTor or municipality office will tell you by letter to dismantle it. If you do not do so, they will dismantle it and charge the cost to you. If the wall or fence you propose to build doesn’t contradict any regulations, the officers must grant your application. If your application is denied because the officer processing it claims that the wall or fence will contravene regulations, you have 30 days to appeal the decision by filing a complaint with the OrBorTor or the local municipality where you applied. They will have to hand over the complaint to the provincial government’s Complaints Consideration
I believe that a building without windows on the wall adjacent to the boundary has to be 1 metre from that boundary. With windows that increases to 2 metres.