Unusual Angling Method

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Unusual Angling Method

Post by Big Boy »

It is no secret that my daily exercise is taken wandering around the lake at Khao Tao; nor is it a secret that I've dangled my rod a few times over the years. Usually on my walk around the lake, I am entertained watching the local anglers landing usually small fish.

I was on my walk around the lake today, and I saw a guy ahead of me cast his line with what I can only describe as a 2' piece of tubular netting 2" diameter at the bottom of his trace. I actually assumed he had snagged it as he cast his line - I thought no more of it. However, when I got to the opposite bank, there were 3 fisherman with identical rigs. Just tubular netting - I thought some local lure, and they were hoping to hook the monster of Khao Tao Lake. I walked past secretly sniggering to myself, thinking that'll never catch a fish.

I completed my circuit, and was taking on water in my car before returning home. Sure enough, the first guy had a fish on his line. He pulled it out of the water with this mysterious netting wrapped around it. The fish was about 18" and resembled a small Pollack (I know it couldn't have been). It was a species I am unfamiliar with.

I must have walked around the lake 30 or 40 times recently, but have never seen this method used before. I've also been fishing myself for well over 50 years and have never seen anything like it. The fact the guy caught a pan sized fish using the method proves it must work.

Can anybody please explain the method to me?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: Unusual Angling Method

Post by huahin4ever »

You should stop and have a look. I'm sure the fisherman would be very happy showing it to you, maybe even being excited a farang is taking interest in their local fishing methods.

YNWA

YNWA
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The first one, as I said, I thought was rubbish as he cast his line. The next 3 were not wearing masks, so I thought best not.

When I saw the method work, I was ready to drive home. Also, I think the fact it had caught a fish took me completely by surprise.

Next time, I will if I see it again.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I'm no expert on fishing but I've given it a go in Thailand and watched the locals. Is it a bait bag, a small mesh bag that you put soft bait in near the hook? I've seen those in Thai fishing shops.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks Steve, I did think of that, but these things were 2' long. You could have put a loaf of bread or a kilo of sausages into each bag. If those were bait bags, they definitely were going to need a bigger boat lake.

Points 48; Position 20
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I have seen this set up and thought it was for freshwater prawns! But you saw him catch a decent fish so I must have been wrong.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Prawns sounds very feasible. Maybe the fish was attracted by the prawns and became entangled in the net somehow. Thai fishermen can be sadistic sometimes and use more than their fair share of hooks to snag whatever they can.

Thank You.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

They may be using it to catch bottom dwelling fish, such as catfish, which like to poke their nose into things rather than take a floating bait.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The fish he caught was definitely not a catfish (I'd definitely have recognised it if it was), but if the length of netting had enough hooks, yes it might snag something sniffing about. Interestingly, a foul-hooked fish always gives a better fight.

Points 48; Position 20
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

The bait bags are used for carp fishing in the UK, They are filled with tasty smelly items.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

nor is it a secret that I've dangled my rod a few times over the years.
Now you're just showing off!! :laugh: :laugh:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

lindosfan1 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:35 pm The bait bags are used for carp fishing in the UK, They are filled with tasty smelly items.
I've never tried serious fishing, just dabbled for a bit of fun but hopefully BB will get a picture for us next time, I'll try anything that works for the locals short of lobbing in sticks of dynamite!
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

A uk carp bait bag.
images (1).jpg
images (1).jpg (7.33 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that looks a similar material, but what I saw yesterday was at least 10 x longer, with very little, if anything at all inside.

Yes, if I see it again, I will take a photo.

Points 48; Position 20
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

But the bait bag seen above dissolves very quickly in water releasing the ground bait near your hook bait. It couldn’t snag a fish!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!