Thai Chana app

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Big Boy

Re: Thai Chana app

Post by Big Boy »

It happened on both mine and my wife's phone (I used to scan for both of us).

Anyway, back to what the Hua Hin Mayor has been reported as saying. I've now seen something in Expat News, credited to Siam Rath that might put it into context. It is talking about Hua Hin receiving quarantined foreigners next month. In that context, it now makes sense to me.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

He would still be a first separate from the main system. Dozens of hotels in Chonburi province have been quarantine hotels since the beginning and they have no separate system, and of course neither does Bangkok.

My purpose is not to poo-poo an idea, just to poo-poo these fiefdoms who launch off on their own with no coordination with the people who are running the big show.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know what you're saying, and I agree. The CCSA should be running the show, but how many times have we already seen Provincial Governors doing their own thing?

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

After the positive feedback, I thought I'd try to use Thai Chana again at Makro yesterday, It started to produce loads of pages regarding what the information gathered would be used for, not letting me continue if I didn't agree. I didn't have my reading glasses with me, so I didn't bother.

I wonder why nobody else gets this problem :?

Points 51; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Perhaps the below link has been posted/discussed already? Anyway, It addresses Privacy, and the T&C link referenced is in Thai and you'll have to translate them. The article does explain them though and what they say is disturbing I think is the right word. :shock: It really all depends if things like that bother you personally.

https://thisrupt.co/lifestyle/thai-chan ... r-privacy/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It probably wouldn't bother me as I have nothing to hide, and I made my phone automatically translate, so that isn't a problem either.

What I object to is I used the app very regularly over many weeks, with my record being 15 scans during 1 shopping mall visit. The download, which I didn't see yesterday, but maybe I aborted before getting to that point, and this long list of things to agree to were not there before. They created a very basic program, which was unfit for purpose (have I mentioned tat before :D), and they are lumping bits onto it as they go with no explanation.

I worked in Government IT for many years, and any new release had to be well documented and accepted by the user community. These clowns tell us Jack Shit, and hope nobody notices.

Points 51; Position 21
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Why use the Chana app? You can do the same just by scanning the code with any scanner on a smart phone ( Samsung has the scanner when you drop down the quick menu from the top of the screen).

After scanning click the link and check-in. Same when leaving. No fuss whatsoever!

YNWA

YNWA
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That is all I do - I haven't downloaded anything to my phone.

As I've said, originally I stopped using Thai Chana because it was trying to force a download. Latterly, it was asking me to agree to a load of crap that I couldn't read without glasses. Reading Pete's link above, I was probably right in not agreeing.

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

huahin4ever wrote:Why use the Chana app? You can do the same just by scanning the code with any scanner on a smart phone ( Samsung has the scanner when you drop down the quick menu from the top of the screen).

After scanning click the link and check-in. Same when leaving. No fuss whatsoever!

YNWA
I find the app easier to use.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

huahin4ever wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:34 am Why use the Chana app? You can do the same just by scanning the code with any scanner on a smart phone ( Samsung has the scanner when you drop down the quick menu from the top of the screen).

YNWA
Maybe your Samsung phone does but my A10s most certainly does not!
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Singapore turned the tables and have gone back on their word. To be expected from all of them, but very disappointing. If you use it, expect your information to be everywhere, forever.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55541001
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

PeteC wrote:Singapore turned the tables and have gone back on their word. To be expected from all of them, but very disappointing. If you use it, expect your information to be everywhere, forever.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55541001
But Thai Chana isn't as sophisticated and doesn't do tracking. It only registers locations you scan.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I do not see a problem in tracking criminals, if you have nothing to hide why worry.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

lindosfan1 wrote:I do not see a problem in tracking criminals, if you have nothing to hide why worry.
Depends who you class as a criminal.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I have absolutely nothing to hide, but it's the covert way they are trying to gain the information. If they were up front, and asked first, I'd still be using Thai Chana. The fact they aren't up front in asking, sounds warning bells to me, so I won't play. I'd like to know why they can't just ask for access - if they want to see me go for a walk around Khao Tao Lake every day, they are most welcome. They will get fed up before I do. I'm sure they have better things to do.

Points 51; Position 21