Dengue Fever & Malaria Thread

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Dengue fever 2020

Post by HHTel »

Well as long as we keep the borders closed, these infected mosquitos won't be allowed in will they?

Yes, just in case anyone thinks I'm a Trump relative, I am joking!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's not as weird as it sounds. My understanding about both diseases is that they are passed on by a female mosquito who has picked up the disease from the blood of an already infected person (or animal, I'm not sure).

So, if there are a lot of infected humans walking around Cambodia and they cannot at present get over the border, the odds are less that other mosquitos will pick it up here and spread it further. It's a "feel good" theory. :D
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:28 pm It's not as weird as it sounds. My understanding about both diseases is that they are passed on by a female mosquito who has picked up the disease from the blood of an already infected person (or animal, I'm not sure).
With regards to Dengue, certainly passed on by the female mosquito - not sure with regards to the latter!

The friend of mine who caught Dengue in HK said he took all precautions, but just didn't have time to check genitalia. I assume this could have further reaching problems in HH/Thailand.. :wink: :D

Seriously, not trying to belittle the subject....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The cycle of both Dengue and Chikungunya. https://www.cdc.gov/dengue/transmission/index.html

Through Mosquito Bites

Dengue viruses are spread to people through the bites of infected Aedes species mosquitoes (Ae. aegypti or Ae. albopictus). These are the same types of mosquitoes that spread Zika and Chikungunya viruses.

These mosquitoes typically lay eggs near standing water in containers that hold water, like buckets, bowls, animal dishes, flower pots, and vases.

These mosquitoes prefer to bite people, and live both indoors and outdoors near people.

Mosquitoes that spread dengue, chikungunya, and Zika bite during the day and night.

Mosquitoes become infected when they bite a person infected with the virus. Infected mosquitoes can then spread the virus to other people through bites.

The above describes what they say is an "Urban" cycle. There is also a "Jungle" cycle where primates are bitten and then can spread to other primates and to humans through the same cycle described above.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

pharvey wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:07 am With regards to Dengue, certainly passed on by the female mosquito - not sure with regards to the latter!

The friend of mine who caught Dengue in HK said he took all precautions, but just didn't have time to check genitalia. I assume this could have further reaching problems in HH/Thailand.. :wink: :D

Seriously, not trying to belittle the subject....
Only female mosquitoes bite mammals - they require blood as part of their reproductive cycle. Male mosquitoes feed on nectar, aphid honeydew, and plant juices. So any disease that is passed on by mosquitoes, is passed on exclusively by the female of the species.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This mosquito sterilization research should be well beyond the testing stage by now, and in practice in severely stricken areas, like here! With Covid-19 however, I'm sure it's not really at the top of anyone's list. :(

https://www.who.int/tdr/news/2019/mosqu ... seases/en/
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Only female mosquitoes bite. Male mosquitoes feed on nectar, aphid honeydew, and plant juices. So any disease that is passed on by mosquitoes, is passed on exclusively by the female of the species.
Pretty much the same as humans then!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Seems to be very positive news. :thumb:

Taken From: - https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... l-bacteria

Dengue Breakthrough After Mosquitoes Laced With Natural Bacteria

"Infecting mosquitoes with a naturally occurring bacteria dramatically reduces their ability to transmit dengue, according to a breakthrough study that could pave the way to eliminating the disease.

Research conducted in Indonesia, where dengue is endemic, found that releasing mosquitoes infected with the bacteria Wolbachia into parts of Yogyakarta city reduced the number of dengue infections by 77% compared with untreated areas.

“We are really hopeful this will lead to local elimination [of dengue] in Yogyakarta city, and the next stage is to scale up beyond Yogyakarta to other parts of Indonesia,” said Dr Katie Anders, director of impact assessment at the World Mosquito Program, and one of the study’s lead researchers.

The same method is also being applied in other countries where dengue is prevalent, with the aim of eliminating the disease as a public health concern."

:cheers: :cheers:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm curious in how they infect these mosquitoes. Surely, if they have the ability to infect them then they have the ability to kill them.
Am I being over simplistic?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:agree: I thought exactly the same when I heard it on the radio news earlier. Ckearly MLM.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:29 pm I'm curious in how they infect these mosquitoes. Surely, if they have the ability to infect them then they have the ability to kill them.
Am I being over simplistic?
Big Boy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:37 pm :agree: I thought exactly the same when I heard it on the radio news earlier. Ckearly MLM.
Surely this is a more effective (and I would assume) more cost effective way of spreading the disease to existing mosquito populations - especially in rural/hard to reach areas?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When I heard it on the radio, they were quite excited about it. However, they were talking about injecting the mossies with the bacteria - for me, hearing (or did I mis-hear?) the word inject was a real WTF moment, and I had to check the date for 1 April. Are they saying inject a few, and they will then infect the many?

I'd actually dismissed it in my own mind as Fake News, until I saw it here later.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well if it works like myxomatosis did with rabbits, then I understand. 'Covid for mosquitoes'.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Having had a quick look on the Web, also found the following. However this sounds like one of those "Don't **** With Mother Nature" moments..... Whereas the above is using a natural bacteria.

Taken From: - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53856776

Florida Mosquitoes: 750 Million Genetically Modified Insects To Be Released

"Local officials in Florida have approved the release of 750 million mosquitoes that have been genetically modified to reduce local populations.

The aim is to reduce the number of mosquitoes that carry diseases like dengue or the Zika virus.

The green-lighting of a pilot project after years of debate drew a swift outcry from environmental groups, who warned of unintended consequences.

One group condemned the plan as a public "Jurassic Park experiment".

Activists warn of possible damage to ecosystems, and the potential creation of hybrid, insecticide-resistant mosquitoes.

But the company involved says there will be no adverse risk to humans or the environment, and points to a slate of government-backed studies.

The plan to release the mosquitoes in 2021 in the Florida Keys, a string of islands, comes months after the modified mosquitoes were approved by federal regulators.

In May, the US Environmental Agency granted permission to the British-based, US-operated company Oxitec to produce the genetically engineered, male Aedes aegypti mosquitoes, which are known as OX5034.

Aedes aegypti mosquitoes are known to spread deadly diseases to humans such dengue, Zika, chikungunya and yellow fever.

Only female mosquitoes bite humans because they need blood to produce eggs. So the plan is to release the male, modified mosquitoes who will then hopefully breed with wild female mosquitoes.

However the males carry a protein that will kill off any female offspring before they reach mature biting age. Males, which only feed on nectar, will survive and pass on the genes.

Over time, the aim is to reduce the population of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes in the area and thereby reduce the spread of disease to humans."
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dengue fever sucks balls. Big time.

Had it once. Knocked me for twenty. I'd say I'm a fairly athletic, healthy chap for the most part. Couldn't function. Laid with my head in a bucket of ice in the garden. Admitted myself to hospital eventually.

Was completely jolly rogered by it. Nasty little bastard.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.