'Thais-only' policy is racism, pure and simple

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
buksida

Re: 'Thais-only' policy is racism, pure and simple

Post by buksida »

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The reason given for making the Midnight Marathon in Bangkok is the biggest load of tosh I've seen yet.
117384140_4785586898121806_321679269383498124_o.jpg
117384140_4785586898121806_321679269383498124_o.jpg (67.95 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
A step to ensure people with travel history do not mix with the ones who did not travel.
Excuse me Thailand, how many foreigners have been allowed to enter Thailand since Covid restrictions? How many Thais have been repatriated since Covid restrictions? Only today there were another 15 Thais repatriated who have tested positive for Covid. On the face of it, the reason sounds good, but analyse what they say -pure racism.

If travel is such an issue, will Thais have their passports checked?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Stepping back to the racist Thai policies for a minute.

If today's definition of the term 'racist' can be taken seriously, then Thais are inherently racist in every form. We all know that.

But I think there's a blurred line between nationalism and racism that's formed. A country has the right to keep their culture theirs and theirs alone. And take specific measures to keep such protocol.

Thais aren't racist. They don't go about their day to day hating foreigners. They are nationalistic though. Oh boy are they! And they will keep Thailand, its lands and its culture their own.

I kinda wish we had such pride of our country in the UK. WelI, I suppose we'll always have the far right to keep our flag flying high? Ooof.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Lost wrote:
A country has the right to keep their culture theirs and theirs alone.
How do you define any given country's culture?
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:39 pm Lost wrote:
A country has the right to keep their culture theirs and theirs alone.
How do you define any given country's culture?
I really couldn't say. Just a culture that has been ongoing for hundreds of years in Thailand's case.

Were Thailand to let up the borders and land buying like the UK - - it'd be Spain 2.0 in a week.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I really couldn't say. Just a culture that has been ongoing for hundreds of years in Thailand's case.
As with any other country in the world, Thailand is a mix of different cultures. It has absorbed things from Khmer, Burmese, Indian, Chinese and other cultures. Not to mention that Laotian, Lanna, Mon and other cultures have also strongly influenced what is now Thailand and how its people behave and what they consider as Thai culture. IMHO, there is no such thing as culture that belongs to only to defined borders of any given country.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:09 pm
As with any other country in the world, Thailand is a mix of different cultures. It has absorbed things from Khmer, Burmese, Indian, Chinese and other cultures. Not to mention that Laotian, Lanna, Mon and other cultures have also strongly influenced what is now Thailand and how its people behave and what they consider as Thai culture. IMHO, there is no such thing as culture that belongs to only to defined borders of any given country.
Blah blah blah got bored pretty quick. We're talking about real world stuff. The present.

Were talking about positive change.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

We're talking about real world stuff. The present.
Sorry, I lost you there (pun intended). If you don't know history, you can't understand present.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 pm
Bamboo Grove wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:09 pm
Blah blah blah got bored pretty quick. We're talking about real world stuff. The present.

Were talking about positive change.
Not much point in giving an intelligent, considered response to a Lost post apparently, as he "gets bored pretty quick"... :roll:
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

Here is the article on it: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/ ... foreigners

Pure racism plain and simple and anyone trying to justify it on cultural grounds has head squarely up rectum. WTF has a marathon got to do with culture?

Sadly, becuase the junta and its massively misinformed ministers are sanctioning these practices, they're only going to get more numerous. Welcome to Thailand's 'new normal'

As was quoted by the outlet;
Anyone who has lived in Thailand for any length of time should not be surprised by the institutionalised xenophobia. It’s not the fault of the average Thai, just the idiocy from above.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I see they've done a complete 180 degree turn - Farangs can run.

Points 51; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A Chiang Mai marathon org has just gone and done the exact same thing! :banghead: https://bangkokherald.com/sports/chiang ... acks-down/

There's more to this IMO than what meets the eye. Foreigners (especially African runners) usually win these things and perhaps a push that just for once, a Thai will win?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:22 am A Chiang Mai marathon org has just gone and done the exact same thing! :banghead: https://bangkokherald.com/sports/chiang ... acks-down/

There's more to this IMO than what meets the eye. Foreigners (especially African runners) usually win these things and perhaps a push that just for once, a Thai will win?
This is now being declared as Fake News. The announcement was apparently on the organiser's own web page, so the originator should be easy enough to track down. Or is the Fake News Fake? It is becoming impossible to believe anything at the moment.
117363942_4801163573230805_2310770684093770330_o.jpg
117363942_4801163573230805_2310770684093770330_o.jpg (94.22 KiB) Viewed 773 times
[Edit] I've copied the organiser's web page in case it changes (how does this accidentally say 'No Farangs'?)
CM.jpg
CM.jpg (69.66 KiB) Viewed 746 times
www.chiangmaimarathon.com/

[Edit2] From reading the page, and then copying it a couple of minutes later they've added a line saying applications will be accepted.

Points 51; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ New article confirming just today. I have no idea what the truth is.

https://bangkokherald.com/sports/chiang ... criticism/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Although he's not in government, like many who are (Health Minister), he's not fit for the job.
Stupidity runs amok in the decision makers here.