'Thais-only' policy is racism, pure and simple

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Big Boy

Re: 'Thais-only' policy is racism, pure and simple

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:05 am Thiti Sompee, the park’s chief, could not be reached for comments as of press time. He was said to be out of office for an official business.
Well, Thiti Sompee has his 5 minutes of fame. :shock:

I've said it before and I'll probably say it again. Thailand now has a military mindset. I worked with the military all of my working life. Postings lasted 2 years, and every new officer had to leave his mark, whether for better or worse. Whatever they did during their post stamped their mark on that post. Good or bad, they didn't care, so long as they were remembered for what they had done. We had to pick up the pieces.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I would think that most of us who 'live' in Thailand are very aware that like many other countries in Asia it is racist and discriminatory. Although aware of this most disagree but accept it as part of the deal. I cannot see this changing much internally nor externally as reciprocity is not something the cash driven west is willing to adopt. As one of many who cannot return 'home' because I am not Thai I will be forced at the end of my current contract to take my money elsewhere just providing sufficient for my wife to await the time when I can return.
When the BLM kicked off I could not help but think that the 'Blacks' (forgive my political incorrectness, I am never sure if coloured, non-white or whatever is the in vogue word) do not have the Monopoly on racism or discrimination although they have suffered a large amount of it over the years.
I wonder how many of those who call Thailand 'home' are having second thoughts. I prefer to say that I 'live' in Thailand when not at work but until I have the similar access (not subject to dual pricing, property ownership etc) or a PR visa it is just that and home will be in the UK where I have to go shortly because the doors to Thailand are still closed.
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

This might work

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

To be honest, I really like Thailand's style.

They're not afraid to keep their culture their own. To make foreigners jump through hoops to stay there. Openly and vocally discriminatory towards those who aren't born there. Making sure that, as guests in their country, we follow the rules and know where we stand.

I applaud those in power. They got balls and I can't wait to return and immerse myself into their culture once more. Hopefully next year.

I prefer it there. The lifestyle. The weather. The people. With this in mind, I'm fully prepared to be just a 'foreigner' in order to enjoy their way of life.

England sucks balls. Currently being force fed propaganda every which way you look. Being bent over and shafted by every culture, custom and country BUT our own.

Viva Las Thailand! 🇹🇭

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Lost wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:57 pm I applaud those in power. They got balls and I can't wait to return and immerse myself into their culture once more. Hopefully next year.
Good luck with that, by the time you get here you won't be allowed in temples, national parks, historic sites, or any place not on the alien approved travel bubble list created by 'them with balls'.

The grass is always greener ... enjoy the culture!

:lach:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

buksida wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:16 pm
Lost wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:57 pm I applaud those in power. They got balls and I can't wait to return and immerse myself into their culture once more. Hopefully next year.
Good luck with that, by the time you get here you won't be allowed in temples, national parks, historic sites, or any place not on the alien approved travel bubble list created by 'them with balls'.

I don't do temples, national parks or historic sites. Once is enough.

I'll be sitting in the local hut sipping Ya Dong with the jungle folk. Eating whatever they found in the bush while discussing important topics like Carabou and Pla Rah. May consider going full native. Get me one of those bamboo back tats done by the local witch doctor. I'll be sure to use a bit more Issan dialect to cement my place as the resident pet farang.

That's the kinda culture I'm up for.

:thumb:

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Lost wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:52 pm
buksida wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:16 pm

I don't do temples, national parks or historic sites. Once is enough.

I'll be sitting in the local hut sipping Ya Dong with the jungle folk. Eating whatever they found in the bush while discussing important topics like Carabou and Pla Rah. May consider going full native. Get me one of those bamboo back tats done by the local witch doctor. I'll be sure to use a bit more Issan dialect to cement my place as the resident pet farang.

That's the kinda culture I'm up for.

:thumb:

If they let you back in, if not, there's always Borneo.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

I suspect a Chinese influence of misinformation to get other countries like Thailand to smear westerners as a payback for blaming China for the Wuhan outbreak. No need to wear a sign 'unclean' as don't look Thai:' its just assumed so.
buksida

Post by buksida »

NATIONAL PARK LIFTS CONTROVERSIAL BAN ON FOREIGNERS
A national park in Kanchanaburi province on Wednesday said both Thais and foreigners can now visit its scenic waterfalls, lifting its controversial ban that caused much stir in the expat community.

The announcement was made by an official who picked up the phone at Srinakarin Dam National Park said everyone can enter. National parks across the country also opened its doors to tourists for the first time today since they were closed down in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Srinakarin Dam National Park had previously announced the ban on its Facebook page two weeks ago, saying it would “open to Thais only” regardless of the foreigners’ residence status in Thailand. The words were later removed in a revised version of the poster.

Chief of the national parks department Thanya Netithamkul also said there is no policy to refuse foreigner’s entry to the parks.

Everyone, both Thais and foreigners, must register online before visiting and comply with hygiene measures during their trips, Thanya said.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri ... oreigners/

The dickhead got his five minutes of fame and name in the paper then ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Jimbob wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:55 am I suspect a Chinese influence of misinformation to get other countries like Thailand to smear westerners as a payback for blaming China for the Wuhan outbreak. No need to wear a sign 'unclean' as don't look Thai:' its just assumed so.
Chinese influence over the Coronavirus/Westerners blaming the outbreak on China/Wuhan? Chinese influence, I suspect so - but Chinese (not all) are up there with the most racist people I have ever come across. Have worked with and dealt with them in business for many years. So IMHO the influence/misinformation has been there for many years prior to Covid-19.

[EDIT] I will add this is down to the Chinese government and the Communist Party rather than Joe Public - although many are quite frankly brainwashed.

The UK, US, Australia and others will no doubt suffer due to ongoing political issues and I am sure this will extend to other countries such as Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam etc. who have close links with those countries mainly due to tourism.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The fact is, no one wants foreigners in their country, other than for a short stay and to spend money. The ideal situation would be to send money and stay home.
It's the same way within countries. In the US, the Southerners don't want to Northerners to encroach on their territory, the Parisians don't want the country people in town, every country, except, maybe, Australia, yahoos aside, wants to keep their regional areas free from "foreigners." We live in a polarized world and it's not getting better. In most cases, the xenophobia is promoted by the nation's leaders and it trickles down to the hoi poloi. It's the cult of I & mine which is the basis of all the problems in the world.
buksida

Post by buksida »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:14 am In most cases, the xenophobia is promoted by the nation's leaders and it trickles down to the hoi poloi. It's the cult of I & mine which is the basis of all the problems in the world.
:agree: well said that man.

Doesn't bode well for those wanting to remain in Thailand for the rest of their days.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

buksida wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:37 am
handdrummer wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:14 am In most cases, the xenophobia is promoted by the nation's leaders and it trickles down to the hoi poloi. It's the cult of I & mine which is the basis of all the problems in the world.

Doesn't bode well for those wanting to remain in Thailand for the rest of their days.
And if you're English, by the time you do decide to pack up and go home, there won't be much of home left.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Lost wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:24 pm
buksida wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:37 am

And if you're English, by the time you do decide to pack up and go home, there won't be much of home left.
Ditto the US.