Cycling - Dog Attacks

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Gabe H Coud

Cycling - Dog Attacks

Post by Gabe H Coud »

Had a look on here and saw two brief mentions in other non specific threads about dog issues

Want to ask advice from hard core 2 wheelers about dog attacks for cyclists, or even just the regular threat of it(as is my case right now)

Do I ignore them? or do I try and scare them off? do I try to make friends with them?!!

Help please! :D
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Cycling - Dog Attacks

Post by handdrummer »

Carry a can of any kind of spray but nothing that tastes good.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I used to carry a metre length of bamboo cane - normally the site of the cane was enough to deter, only once did I need to put it to use and that worked
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Most dogs are fairly harmless and will just chase but it can be unnerving. Dannie Boy's cane is very effective but can be awkward to wield. The biggest threat are dogs who have a 'home' but run free, again most will just chase and trying to speed away does not help. If I stop they will back off and in general slowing down seems to be less fun for them so they are less bother. The problem is identifying the one who is a threat, a different growl, signs that are not easy to recognise. An excellent deterrent albeit one that might get you into trouble is the taser type devices, the noise of the sparks frightens even the bravest of them.
Another option is a spray bottle with vinegar, just spray it in their general direction and their sensitive noses dislike it.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Gregjam wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:58 am Most dogs are fairly harmless and will just chase but it can be unnerving. Dannie Boy's cane is very effective but can be awkward to wield. The biggest threat are dogs who have a 'home' but run free, again most will just chase and trying to speed away does not help. If I stop they will back off and in general slowing down seems to be less fun for them so they are less bother. The problem is identifying the one who is a threat, a different growl, signs that are not easy to recognise. An excellent deterrent albeit one that might get you into trouble is the taser type devices, the noise of the sparks frightens even the bravest of them.
Another option is a spray bottle with vinegar, just spray it in their general direction and their sensitive noses dislike it.
Hmm.... where to get a "Taser" in Thailand :idea: :wink:
hahuahin
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

A Taser, like prostitution, is illegal in Thailand..... Both offer electrifying effects and with a bit of imagination are readily available.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Gregjam wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:18 am A Taser, like prostitution, is illegal in Thailand..... Both offer electrifying effects and with a bit of imagination are readily available.
:D :D Well a prostitute is maybe readily available.......but I was thinking more on this line.....
https://buy.taser.com/collections/taser ... t-pet-pack
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

For any troublesome packs, I found bringing a few bags of chicken bone/scraps once in a while helprd. For me, it stopped a certain group snapping at my heels. And it got rid of some food waste. 2 birds...
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Lost wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:15 pm For any troublesome packs, I found bringing a few bags of chicken bone/scraps once in a while helprd. For me, it stopped a certain group snapping at my heels. And it got rid of some food waste. 2 birds...
YOU ARE FEEDING THE PROBLEM!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:agree: :thumb:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

PET wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:35 pm
Lost wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:15 pm For any troublesome packs, I found bringing a few bags of chicken bone/scraps once in a while helprd. For me, it stopped a certain group snapping at my heels. And it got rid of some food waste. 2 birds...
YOU ARE FEEDING THE PROBLEM!
They gonna get food anyway. I'd rather be the westerner seen plopping some chicken bones on the floor to quell some snapping doggies than the westerner seen with stick in one hand, tazer in the other wildly swinging and zapping like some loony bin roboknob.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

We had a couple of 'kind' farangs feeding the dogs. One in particular was turning up every day with food. Over time that caused an increase in the dogs, around double. I've counted almost 20 hanging around. I've had a few arguments with this gentleman who doesn't understand the problem he's causing. Two people that I know of have been bitten, one from my own family, both who needed hospital treatment.
The general advice from the authorities is NOT TO FEED THEM.

Fortunately, when the diggers and heavy machinery moved in to build our new roads, the dogs vanished and so far (fingers crossed) they've not returned. We are currently dog free and the kids are safe once again.

As an added note, if you pester the Tessabahn enough, they will come and remove the dogs. What happens to them is anybody's guess.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Lost wrote
They gonna get food anyway. I'd rather be the westerner seen plopping some chicken bones on the floor to quell some snapping doggies than the westerner seen with stick in one hand, tazer in the other wildly swinging and zapping like some loony bin roboknob.
You are right there Lost. Not sure about feeding chicken they can smell that from a mile away. Ihave however have this vision of the westerner loony.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Gabe H Coud

Post by Gabe H Coud »

thanks for the tips guys. this dog continues to hassle me, and he hides for extra stealth shock effect too!! maybe I just need to get used to it before I spray him with WD 40 or wield a cane in his direction! haha....ps I should add I love dogs I really do just not ones that try and knock me off my bike!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gabe H Coud wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:02 am thanks for the tips guys. this dog continues to hassle me, and he hides for extra stealth shock effect too!! maybe I just need to get used to it before I spray him with WD 40 or wield a cane in his direction! haha....ps I should add I love dogs I really do just not ones that try and knock me off my bike!
I’d still recommend trying the cane first - not too difficult to fix along the crossbar and still get quick access - you’ve probably already got one but if not cheap as chips (in fact cheaper these days)!