Spam and corned beef, sales of canned meat are booming

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
PeteC

Spam and corned beef, sales of canned meat are booming

Post by PeteC »

As the world changes, we could very well see Thai recipes using these products. :shock:

Canned meat is having a moment.

Demand is booming across the globe. In the U.S., sales surged more than 70% in the 15 weeks ended June 13. In the U.K., consumption of canned corned beef has taken off. Even in South Korea, where Spam is an old favorite, sales are expanding at the fastest pace in years.

At first, people were loading up on pantry staples with a long shelf life during lockdown conditions. Then, shortages of some fresh meat supplies, especially in the U.S., also helped to drive sales. Now, the economic downturn is underpinning demand...... Full story at link: https://www.nationthailand.com/Food/30390027
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Spam and corned beef, sales of canned meat are booming

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:49 am As the world changes, we could very well see Thai recipes using these products. :shock:
I think a major re-think on price in Thailand would have to take place - have you seen the price? You could probably buy 5 Thai meals for the price of 1 tin. If corned beef and spam are the future, I think many Thais will starve.

Price aside, my daughter-in-law cooks a killer spam fritter, but spam availability at Tesco prices is zero. I'm not prepared to get a mortgage to have a spam fritter. Spam disappeared off the shelves of Thai shops about a year ago (stil get it at AP Interfoods). You can still get the Plumrose version, but the only resemblance to Spam is the shape of the tin.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I remember having Spam fritters as a child (we used eat healthy back then) and it was a cheap meal - not any more it seems!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I remember having corned beef and spam towards the end of the week (usually the day before payday) because my folks couldn't afford anything else. How times have changed.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh: Definitely not healthy, but great comfort food for a treat :wink:

It's funny, cheap food in one country becomes a treat in another. I remember my wife used to get a take-away portion of Lat Nah Talay in the UK for £10. Theres a place at the bottom of our road where she gets the same for 35฿ (eat in).
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Buying a tin of spam is taking nostalgia a bit too far.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Anybody seen where I could get a can of corned beef hash? Seen plenty of corned beef, but never any hash. It would be nice to have some.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Jack_Batty wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:47 pm Anybody seen where I could get a can of corned beef hash? Seen plenty of corned beef, but never any hash. It would be nice to have some.
Is this what you mean:

http://sausagekingone.com/meats.html
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Nereus wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:50 pm
Jack_Batty wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:47 pm Anybody seen where I could get a can of corned beef hash? Seen plenty of corned beef, but never any hash. It would be nice to have some.
Is this what you mean:

No, hash is corned beef mixed with potatoes that are finely diced. There are variations that have roughly chopped potatoes and sometimes bell peppers and onions. But the kind I’m fond of is just corned beef and finely diced potatoes in a can. Preferably Libby’s or Hormel brand. Haven’t seen it anywhere and I would love to have some.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Jack_Batty wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:07 pm
Nereus wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:50 pm
Is this what you mean:

No, hash is corned beef mixed with potatoes that are finely diced. There are variations that have roughly chopped potatoes and sometimes bell peppers and onions. But the kind I’m fond of is just corned beef and finely diced potatoes in a can. Preferably Libby’s or Hormel brand. Haven’t seen it anywhere and I would love to have some.
Can't say I've ever seen "Tinned" Corned Beef Hash anywhere.... My "Mam" used to make a great dish (Corned Beef, potatoes, onions etc.) - superb with a bit of HP Sauce! :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I believe I saw once at Villa at a ridiculous price. I just make my own.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've never seen corned beef hash in a tin EVER! Easy enough to make and you can put your own spin on it. Basically, corned beef and potatoes plus pluss.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Neither have I but it does exist
download (8).jpg
download (8).jpg (12.42 KiB) Viewed 450 times
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HHTel wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:34 pm I've never seen corned beef hash in a tin EVER! Easy enough to make and you can put your own spin on it. Basically, corned beef and potatoes plus pluss.
Whenever I try to make something to replicate what I like, it just is never what I’m expecting and needing. I love Libby’s and Hormel’s hash in a can and nothing else tastes as good with some sloppy eggs and sourdough toast with a couple dashes of Tabasco. I will check Villa.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Jack_Batty wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:38 pm Whenever I try to make something to replicate what I like, it just is never what I’m expecting and needing. I love Libby’s and Hormel’s hash in a can and nothing else tastes as good with some sloppy eggs and sourdough toast with a couple dashes of Tabasco. I will check Villa.
Interesting - I've always found pretty much the opposite. Every time I try to recreate a commercially made product using all fresh ingredients that I've bought myself, with the seasoning and ingredients in the proportions I choose, it comes out much better than the manufactured version. It also doesn't have all the salt, sugar and preservatives that canned or packet goods have.