Spam and corned beef, sales of canned meat are booming

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Re: Spam and corned beef, sales of canned meat are booming

Post by Jack_Batty »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:52 am
Jack_Batty wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:38 pm Whenever I try to make something to replicate what I like, it just is never what I’m expecting and needing. I love Libby’s and Hormel’s hash in a can and nothing else tastes as good with some sloppy eggs and sourdough toast with a couple dashes of Tabasco. I will check Villa.
Interesting - I've always found pretty much the opposite. Every time I try to recreate a commercially made product using all fresh ingredients that I've bought myself, with the seasoning and ingredients in the proportions I choose, it comes out much better than the manufactured version. It also doesn't have all the salt, sugar and preservatives that canned or packet goods have.
Good for you. Well, Libby’s and Hormel’s canned hash is perfect. It’s what I grew up with, and it’s what I want. I think a bit of nostalgia is intertwined in the equation, and that goes a pretty long way.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My corned beef hash is different every time I make it. Spontaneous decisions on what to put in it. All good though. But trying to make the exact same thing twice, I find challenging.

I was surprised just how many varieties of Spam Hormel make. I counted 22:

https://www.spam.com/varieties
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:43 pm My corned beef hash is different every time I make it. Spontaneous decisions on what to put in it. All good though. But trying to make the exact same thing twice, I find challenging.

I was surprised just how many varieties of Spam Hormel make. I counted 22:

https://www.spam.com/varieties
The supermarket shelves in the US offer a dizzying amount of options. Probably all 22 or close to it. I tried a majority of them just for variety, but I always came back to the old tried and true original. I would most often cube it up for macaroni & cheese, or make spam musubi, which is, I believe, a Hawaiian spin of the Japanese snack.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If they developed a Thai spicy version it would be a huge hit here, if the price was right. It's a nice diversion once in a while, but a steady diet of it will clog every artery you have. :shock:

Spam sales hit record high for seventh year in a row

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59603921

Sales of the canned cooked meat Spam have hit a record high for the seventh year in a row, despite pandemic-related challenges.

That helped Hormel, the company that makes the iconic brand, deliver record sales of $3.5bn (£2.65bn) in the three months to the end of October.

The firm's boss said it will start work on expanding its range of Spam products next year.

Hormel's shares rose by almost 6% in New York on Thursday.

"The Spam brand delivered its seventh consecutive year of record growth," Hormel's chief executive Jim Snee said on a conference call with investors.

"We are also beginning work on another expansion for the Spam family of products scheduled to be operational in 2023," he added.

Hormel, which completed its takeover of the Planters peanut brand in June, saw sales rise by 19% to $11.4bn for the year as a whole.

That came even as the company was faced with supply chain issues during the coronavirus pandemic.

To help limit the impact of supply issues in the future Hormel said it has signed a new five-year contract for supplies of pork, the main ingredient in Spam.

Asia popularity

Outside the US, Spam has a large international market, especially in the Asia-Pacific region.

It has been a household name in Hawaii since it was introduced in 1937.

It can be found on menus across the islands, as Spam musubi - a sushi-like dish - Spam fried rice, and the popular breakfast - Spam, eggs, and rice.

In South Korea, it was introduced by the US army during the Korean War, when food was scarce.

Today, Spam is so much a part of South Korean culture, that it is the staple ingredient in one of the country's favourite dishes: budae jjigae, or army stew.

Tins of Spam are even given as presents for the Lunar New Year, sometimes presented in gift-boxes as part of special promotion for the holiday.

Hormel is based in the US state of Minnesota and operates in more than 80 countries worldwide.

As well as Spam and Planters, its brands include natural Choice and Applegate meat products and Skippy peanut butter.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Damn, I thought they'd hit record levels here. I was thinking there must be a new outlet, selling at sensible prices. My daughter-in-law's Spam fritters are fantastic. Unfortunately you need a mortgage to buy a tin of it these days - Spam is a luxury food in Thailand.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

And to think, when I was a kid we had it weekly, especially the day before payday. Why? Because it was all my mum could afford!!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I ate Spam in the Army. Once was enough, never again.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

According to google, it was invented in the US during the depression. The object being to produce something the poor could afford! SPiced hAM
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I just bought a can of the below yesterday. Had it cold on a sandwich with spicy mustard for breakfast. Honestly, it's more challenging than SPAM to me. Made in Brazil, but a British product. Tomorrow I'm going to try to fry it up before putting on a sandwich. It may bring out a better flavour? (..and suck out a lot of the fat :shock: ) I've heard on my BBC Podcasts that this corned beef used to be a staple for British school primary lunches?

phpHst94DAM.jpg
phpHst94DAM.jpg (44.97 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Fried corned beef - a new one on me. I'd imagine it would break up.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:28 pm Fried corned beef - a new one on me. I'd imagine it would break up.
I don't know, I'll try it tomorrow. It came out of the refrigerated can and I sliced it into portions. No idea what will happen in the fry pan? Mad scientist time! :shock:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Spam fritters - so healthy but that’s what we ate when mum was short of cash. I’ve had corned beef hash which is fried up with potatoes and often with baked beans - here’s a recipe
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/corned-beef-hash
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:28 pm Fried corned beef - a new one on me. I'd imagine it would break up.
We used to eat it years ago fried in batter. In the distant past I seem to recall fish and chip shops selling it in the UK
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Corned beef hash is real popular in the states. My wife has developed a liking to it so we bring back a bunch of canned hash. Mediocre, but better than nothing. Good with poached eggs. When I cook prime rib roast any leftovers I'll make a hash out of also.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My version of corned beef hash (not the traditional recipe):

Pot of mashed potatoes. Mash the corned beef into the potatoes with plenty of butter. Into a roasting tin then cover with grated cheese. Bake it for a while and turn the grill on for the last few mins to brown the cheese topping.

Goes down a treat with all the family (Thais) to the point that I'm pestered for it quite regularly.

I've always bought Prince's corned beef from Nany's.