Returning Expats & Dependents

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Big Boy

Re: Returning Expats

Post by Big Boy »

Just out of pure curiosity, a question that our experts who are trying or have succeeded to come back to Thailand might know the answer to. What happens if travelling as a family or couple? Does quarantine have to be in individual rooms, or can people share?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My daughter who is trying to return as a Thai returnee has been told that in state quarantine they are billeted as 2 to a room. She's a little worried about that as she won't know the person she's sharing with and of course if the other person has covid then no doubt she will contract it also.
I shouldn't think that would be the same for expats as they have paid and booked into a hotel. Common sense tells me that 'close family' would be quarantined together. But hey, TIT.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

There are family rooms available, but not sure how many. HHTel can your daughter request one of the private rooms? For a charge I am sure
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Linked to this thread I guess? It seems the UK Thai Embassy discovered multiple applications from some individuals trying to jump the queue of registered Thais and others waiting for flights, so it appears they have scrapped it and it's now a free for all for everyone.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm confused. What have they scrapped, and what is a free for all? Can you expand please?

Points 51; Position 21
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

The UK Thai Embassy registration for non-Thai’s appeared to crash yesterday and it now looks like the flights are full. No surprise there. It is not easy working from an iPhone and iPad rather than a PC.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 am I'm confused. What have they scrapped, and what is a free for all? Can you expand please?
Thai's had to register with the Embassy to say they were seeking a repatriation flight. There was some order of control as a result. It has been reported elsewhere that they discovered a number of duplicate applications or more trying to circumnavigate however they were deciding who got a flight or not. As such, they appear to have scrapped the scheme. Info via emails received by Thai's from the Embassy.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hmmm........ I'd have thought the punishment should have been to everybody attempting to cheat the system i.e. put them to the back of any queue, not punishing those who have been doing it properly. I'd be well peeved if I was nearing the top of the list, and a few cheats spoiled it for me. Only the cheats prosper from this crazy action - they now have a legitimate chance of going to the top of the list.

Organisational skills of a 2 year old, but hey, if there's no legitimate queue, getting to the head will probably depend upon who hands over the fattest brown envelope. :banghead: :tsk: :tsk:

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry, I don't get any of the above.
My daughter registered with the Thai embassy in Washington. They e-mailed her confirmation that they had received it. That application is then sent to immigration here in Thailand for verification and approval. Only when it's been approved by Thailand do you get onto any list.
My daughter contacts the Thai embassy regularly. Their response - "Still waiting for confirmation from Thailand".
I don't see how submitting multiple applications helps your case.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Apparently they opened a new registration scheme this morning which promptly crashed with the demand before coming up again and one guy's wife from the forum I follow got onto a flight on the 16th. This is one of three Thai airways flights in August to repatriate Thais and qualifying others. It really seems from what I read that it was a free for all.
Talk is cheap
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

For anyone interested, or may need to go through it.

Day 7 in quarantine at Grande Centere Point Sukhumvit 55. When I first arrived my floor was full at meal times with the plastic bags outside most every door. Now only about 3-4 doors have the bags. Not sure if that means vacancies available but for what it's worth. The rooms have no balcony but are nicely done with a hot pot and cooler. No microwave or refrigerator though. There is an ice bucket but since we can't leave the rooms not sure why. Quite a few menu choices, especially Japanese style meals. Food has been quite good and you can also order off the room service menu for a discounted price. Not a huge menu but some items such as pizza and hamburgers not on the quarantine menu. I had my covid test day 3 with results given day 4. Now I can, with a reservation, go out to the deck area around the pool. They said 30-45 minutes a day . Cleaning of the rooms also started day four and they come every other day. We can leave the room, again for the pool area, while they clean, maybe 20-30 minutes so you can actually get fresh air twice on cleaning days. Pool area is big enough to walk some laps if desired and plenty of chairs, and lounges, smoking is allowed.
Meals arrive in a plastic bag, plastic utensils and plastic containers, outside your room. They ring your doorbell to let you know.
I had some laundry done yesterday, one day turnaround.
There have been some families when I get my yard time each day so those quarantining with families it is available. Haven't seen any pets.
There was no mention about being able to go outside after the covid test results so if you test negative just ask them.
Communications is mainly over line and response time has been very good. The room has some international channels and netflix. I was having problems with netflix, called, and someone was up very quickly to fix it.
There are smoking rooms but, again, no balconies and can not open the windows.
The pool, and gym, are offlimits.
No family in the area but if you have some (or friends I imagine) they can bring you dried food snacks. Inspection of all items is to be done. There is a bench placed by a window that I have noticed people talking through. Probably to friends/relatives that we can not visit face to face.
Internet is good and, so far, reliable
All in all if you have to be quarantined it's a decent place
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Thanks for the update Migrant,
much appreciated by many others as well, im sure.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

migrant wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:54 am For anyone interested, or may need to go through it.

Day 7 in quarantine at Grande Centere Point Sukhumvit 55. When I first arrived my floor was full at meal times with the plastic bags outside most every door. Now only about 3-4 doors have the bags. Not sure if that means vacancies available but for what it's worth. The rooms have no balcony but are nicely done with a hot pot and cooler. No microwave or refrigerator though. There is an ice bucket but since we can't leave the rooms not sure why. Quite a few menu choices, especially Japanese style meals. Food has been quite good and you can also order off the room service menu for a discounted price. Not a huge menu but some items such as pizza and hamburgers not on the quarantine menu. I had my covid test day 3 with results given day 4. Now I can, with a reservation, go out to the deck area around the pool. They said 30-45 minutes a day . Cleaning of the rooms also started day four and they come every other day. We can leave the room, again for the pool area, while they clean, maybe 20-30 minutes so you can actually get fresh air twice on cleaning days. Pool area is big enough to walk some laps if desired and plenty of chairs, and lounges, smoking is allowed.
Meals arrive in a plastic bag, plastic utensils and plastic containers, outside your room. They ring your doorbell to let you know.
I had some laundry done yesterday, one day turnaround.
There have been some families when I get my yard time each day so those quarantining with families it is available. Haven't seen any pets.
There was no mention about being able to go outside after the covid test results so if you test negative just ask them.
Communications is mainly over line and response time has been very good. The room has some international channels and netflix. I was having problems with netflix, called, and someone was up very quickly to fix it.
There are smoking rooms but, again, no balconies and can not open the windows.
The pool, and gym, are offlimits.
No family in the area but if you have some (or friends I imagine) they can bring you dried food snacks. Inspection of all items is to be done. There is a bench placed by a window that I have noticed people talking through. Probably to friends/relatives that we can not visit face to face.
Internet is good and, so far, reliable
All in all if you have to be quarantined it's a decent place
Thanks for sharing, interesting information to know, have a pleasant day
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

migrant wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:54 am Day 7 in quarantine at Grande Centere Point Sukhumvit 55.
Are you in the main almost brand new newly built hotel, or the longer established serviced apartments next door?
Talk is cheap
FarangJon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by FarangJon »

Can you send me the name of the place in la you used for the rapid test? I am hoping to fly out on the 30th.