Returning Expats & Dependents

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Returning Expats

Post by migrant »

Here I can only leave the room when they clean, they will start day 4 and clean every other day on. Some hotels have a restricted area where, after a week, or so, of clean tests you can go out for an hour. There is a set menu here with a dozen choices, not bad but limited. I can also order off the restaurants menu, extra charge of course. No food from outside sources except dry food delivered from relatives which will be inspected. No booze but they didn't check the luggage :cheers: . It really is an incarceration.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I copied your experience to my daughter. She wishes you well and glad that you got a good result. She is very jealous though. It's been weeks since she submitted her application. She spoke to the embassy in Washington today and they told her that they're still waiting for approval from immigration Thailand.

What I thought would be a speedy formality doesn't seem to be the case. She's a Thai citizen. She has a family in Thailand. It doesn't make sense. Originally she had a return flight back to BKK (for which she got $400 refund!) Prayut once said that he'd never leave a Thai stranded abroad.

She's becoming extremely 'pi**ed off as I am.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

HHTel,

I'm real sorry to hear of her troubles. Is it because she entered as a US citizen do you think? I'm not sure of the process to return for Thais.

The facebook page of falangs trying to return was a big help to me, perhaps there is a comparable page for Thais? I don't know how facebook works well enough to find one.

I wish her good luck!!

BTW you know your in quarantine when the high point of the day is catching a fly in the room!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

She's not a US citizen although she did enter the US on a British passport. That shouldn't have any effect as the Thai embassy don't know that. She's made a couple of Thai friends online who are in the same boat. I don't think it's about her specifically as there are others in similar circumstances.

OK. Now you have to set yourself a target. How many flies will I kill in 2 weeks? Could catch on as a 'quarantine challenge'.

Enjoy.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I thought this may have been of interest to some. OK, it's football related, but this is one of Ratchaburi's foreign returnees showing us his quarantine cell. It doesn't look too bad, although I guess it could get a bit claustrophobic after 15 days. How does it compare with your room migrant? I guess they are all much of a muchness.

Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

With the separate area with sofa/coffee table/desk, that would be tagged as a "junior suite" by most hotels.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

With the prices they are charging, that is what I'm expecting most returnees to get, which is why I asked migrant for a comparison. I think he said about 4.5K per night, so I'd expect a little more than a standard en-suite room. He should be getting something half decent for that. Didn't he also say cleaning was every 4 days? They can't be doing much for their money.

Points 51; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Migrant is enjoying his cigars as well, so thinking he has a balcony? They may throw him out early if he's lighting them up in the room. :laugh:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Those cigars will kill any virus.

Points 51; Position 21
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I keep trying to smoke them out but no luck!!

Big Boy the footballer room is much bigger than mine. My room is the standard hotel room as you can see. No balcony either. It is a smoking room and ventilation is good. Today was the first covid test. If negative I can go to a restricted area tomorrow while they clean my room for a half hour, or so. Cleaning will be every other day from now on so I should be able to do the same each time. Here are pics of my room and the european breakfast. All meals delivered to the chair outside my door, all plastic containers, utensils.
IMG_0242.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG (36.86 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
IMG_0238.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG (30.85 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG (42.91 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Didn't he also say cleaning was every 4 days?
No he said that cleaning starts on day 4 (Why?) then cleaned every other day.

4.5K per night included covid testing which accounted for 22K of the price.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ah, I must have misread it. I thought the 22K was extra. That knocks it down to about 2,700/night, so maybe not so nice.

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That breakfast looks very Thai, plastic sausage and chilled eggs :shock:

Yes the room does look fairly basic, but OK for a couple of nights. I'm not so sure about a couple of weeks.

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree. Having somewhere to sleep is one thing but having to spend all day 24/7 for a couple of weeks is a daunting task.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Yes, of the cost 22,000 went to the hospital which makes the daily rate here close to the hotels published rates.

The menu is pretty basic but there is also a Japanese menu that isn't too bad, a variety at least. Interesting that there is no beef at all on the menu. The room service has a hamburger if I do get beef withdrawals.

They have netflix in the room other than that a variety of world channels and local stuff, very little english though.

Gonna be a long 12 more days!!