Returning Expats & Dependents

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Returning Expats

Post by migrant »

caller wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:55 am
migrant wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:54 am Day 7 in quarantine at Grande Centere Point Sukhumvit 55.
Are you in the main almost brand new newly built hotel, or the longer established serviced apartments next door?
Not positive, I arrived at midnite, but think the new building. Everything is clean, and shiny.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

FarangJon wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:30 am Can you send me the name of the place in la you used for the rapid test? I am hoping to fly out on the 30th.
https://www.myconciergemd.com/

As I mentioned they are great on the covid test but didn't make the fit to fly.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
FarangJon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by FarangJon »

migrant wrote:
FarangJon wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:30 am Can you send me the name of the place in la you used for the rapid test? I am hoping to fly out on the 30th.
https://www.myconciergemd.com/

As I mentioned they are great on the covid test but didn't make the fit to fly.
Thanks!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Good news from my daughter, Migrant. The embassy contacted her today to tell her she'd been approved by immigration here. She will now be put on a list and expects to fly sometime next month (September). No date as yet, but even more good news is that she'll be flying from Houston which is just a 2 hour drive.
She's now looking for a testing site that will give rapid results. Being in Texas, I imagine the testing stations will have massive queues as we've seen on the news.
By the time she's done quarantine, she'll have been gone for 7 months but she does insist that she still remembers the kid's names!!!
FarangJon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by FarangJon »

HHTel wrote:Good news from my daughter, Migrant. The embassy contacted her today to tell her she'd been approved by immigration here. She will now be put on a list and expects to fly sometime next month (September). No date as yet, but even more good news is that she'll be flying from Houston which is just a 2 hour drive.
She's now looking for a testing site that will give rapid results. Being in Texas, I imagine the testing stations will have massive queues as we've seen on the news.
By the time she's done quarantine, she'll have been gone for 7 months but she does insist that she still remembers the kid's names!!!
Thais don’t need a covid test, only the fit 2 fly which you can do at an online doctor. She should get the official instructions from the embassy.

What flight is out of Houston? I looked at all the flights and there is nothing out of Texas.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

She was told by the Washington embassy that she needs a covid free certificate. However, I think you're right. Some Thai embassy info online says you need it and other sites say it's optional and only a 'fit to fly' certificate is required.
I'll get her to query it with the embassy.
Regarding Houston. I got it wrong. The embassy said she would need to fly from Houston to the 'airport of departure'. That could be Los Angeles, New York, Seattle or Chicago. She will be informed in due course.
FarangJon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by FarangJon »

As a reference, here are all the flights in August and how to book. She might still be able to get one of the late August flights

https://thaiembdc.org/th/2020/07/30/augrepatflight/
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

HHTel wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:12 am Good news from my daughter, Migrant. The embassy contacted her today to tell her she'd been approved by immigration here. She will now be put on a list and expects to fly sometime next month (September). No date as yet, but even more good news is that she'll be flying from Houston which is just a 2 hour drive.
That's great! I've no contacts there for covid tests but tell her to just keep calling different places. I'm not sure exactly how many I called, but a lot!

She, and you, probably know this but double check the ones that say they can get the results quickly. Quite a few testing places said, "Sure we can have the results to you same day". I asked if it was the PCR test and was told yes. The next day I called back and someone more knowledgeable told me it wasn't the PCR test.

So your babysitting days have an end in sight! I love my grandkids but after a few hours I'm exhausted.

Good Luck to her, let her know once she is on the plane it goes very smooth.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

FarangJon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:42 am As a reference, here are all the flights in August and how to book. She might still be able to get one of the late August flights

https://thaiembdc.org/th/2020/07/30/augrepatflight/
She doesn't get to choose. They tell her when and where she will fly from.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

migrant wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:34 am
HHTel wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:12 am Good news from my daughter, Migrant. The embassy contacted her today to tell her she'd been approved by immigration here. She will now be put on a list and expects to fly sometime next month (September). No date as yet, but even more good news is that she'll be flying from Houston which is just a 2 hour drive.
That's great! I've no contacts there for covid tests but tell her to just keep calling different places. I'm not sure exactly how many I called, but a lot!

She, and you, probably know this but double check the ones that say they can get the results quickly. Quite a few testing places said, "Sure we can have the results to you same day". I asked if it was the PCR test and was told yes. The next day I called back and someone more knowledgeable told me it wasn't the PCR test.

So your babysitting days have an end in sight! I love my grandkids but after a few hours I'm exhausted.

Good Luck to her, let her know once she is on the plane it goes very smooth.
On a 'heads up' from farangjon, I checked the embassy websites and as a Thai she doesn't need a covid test, just a 'fit to fly' which I think she can get online then signed by a doctor. That's contrary to what Washington told her but they've got lots of things wrong to date.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Could they be treating her differently because she didn't enter on a Thai passport?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I thought that, but checking with her, she says that she's not told the embassy that she's on a British passport. However, they may know anyway. She's going to get back to the embassy today for clarification.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You're 11 days in Migrant. Ration that Scotch and the cigars, not that much longer to go. I would say out by Wednesday morning?

I take it your tests have been negative or you would have said something.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Yes results of 2nd covid test came today, negative, although the nurse gave me a nose that bled for 3 hours!

Free of durance vile Tuesday at 6am!!
Plenty of cigars but scotch running low!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You going to have a hot looking chick in a short skirt, smoking a Winston, waiting outside the prison gate in a red GTO convertible to pick you up? :laugh:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source