British Food

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

British Food

Post by Jack_Batty »

A recent discussion in another post, regarding mushy peas with fish & chips, got me very curious about British food, or food in the UK in general. Growing up in the US, I had absolutely zero exposure to British food, other than hearing about Yorkshire pudding (I really did think it was a dessert), spotted dick (No idea, but it made me giggle), and the like. After that, I got exposed a little better by watching Gordon Ramsey (for whatever you think of him). My exposure has gone up tenfold since moving to Thailand, odd as it may seem to someone living elsewhere.

So I started doing some research on Google today. Wow, there’s a lot of differences between Northern and Southern regions. And then there’s a middle region? Is there an East and West region, where the cuisines vary even more? Since British food of all kinds seem to be readily available and somewhat affordable here in Thailand, what should I absolutely try? I’ve never had a Sunday roast, or tried pretty much anything else that would be considered common fare. I had to look up what the hell a butty was last week, but that is basically just a different name for something that is common in the US. I want to know of things distinctly British and if there are variations of them depending on the region. I really am sincere in my desire to try all of these things.
PeteC

Re: British Food

Post by PeteC »

Start with a full English breakfast with all the components. You may not want to eat until the next morning. :D
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

PeteC wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:47 pm Start with a full English breakfast with all the components. You may not want to eat until the next morning. :D

Definitely at the top of my list. But what the heck is up with the baked beans? So odd. I will try it with the baked beans though, because I want the full experience. Hell, it might even be an epiphany for me.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Jack_Batty wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:36 pm A recent discussion in another post, regarding mushy peas with fish & chips, got me very curious about British food, or food in the UK in general. Growing up in the US, I had absolutely zero exposure to British food, other than hearing about Yorkshire pudding (I really did think it was a dessert), spotted dick (No idea, but it made me giggle), and the like. After that, I got exposed a little better by watching Gordon Ramsey (for whatever you think of him). My exposure has gone up tenfold since moving to Thailand, odd as it may seem to someone living elsewhere.

So I started doing some research on Google today. Wow, there’s a lot of differences between Northern and Southern regions. And then there’s a middle region? Is there an East and West region, where the cuisines vary even more? Since British food of all kinds seem to be readily available and somewhat affordable here in Thailand, what should I absolutely try? I’ve never had a Sunday roast, or tried pretty much anything else that would be considered common fare. I had to look up what the hell a butty was last week, but that is basically just a different name for something that is common in the US. I want to know of things distinctly British and if there are variations of them depending on the region. I really am sincere in my desire to try all of these things.
Just picking up on one point that you mentioned - my grandmother originated from Yorkshire and made the best “Yorkies” I have ever tasted. She would only serve them with roast beef, no other meat, however she would always make extras that would be eaten cold with either Golden Syrup or jam, so they are eaten as desserts.

As for spotted dick - not had one for years but a light sponge with raisins normally eaten with custard - in Thailand it’s probably something very different!!
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

If you haven't tried Sunday Roast yet then that is your first step. You can choose between Beef, Lamb, Chicken and Pork. It is commonly available in Thailand. If you go to Nani's in Hua Hin it is fresh every Sunday around 12:00. If you go very late it will be reheated which does not taste as good. The other British things that are easy to get in Thailand are Bangers & Mash (well worth trying), Fish & Chips (of course), English Breakfast (completely different than the American version), liver & onions with mash and various pies (steak & kidney being the most famous). Somethings can be bought to prepare yourself (faggots, haggis, etc.). Some good English food is hardly ever seen here (I am thinking of Lancashire Hot Pot, Bubble & Squeak, Corned Beef Hash, Beef Stew, etc.). Two things tat are very regional in England are cheese and sausages. A cumberland sausage is completely different than a Lancashire pork sausage, they cannot be compared. All types are available in Thailand. This also goes for cheeses. Most of the people in England do not like rubbery cheese like Cheddar. Each area has its own favourite. My favourite English cheeses are Lancashire, Cheshire, Wensleydale and White Stilton. Most English cheeses are available in Thailand.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HarryVardon wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:03 pm If you haven't tried Sunday Roast yet then that is your first step. You can choose between Beef, Lamb, Chicken and Pork. It is commonly available in Thailand. If you go to Nani's in Hua Hin it is fresh every Sunday around 12:00. If you go very late it will be reheated which does not taste as good. The other British things that are easy to get in Thailand are Bangers & Mash (well worth trying), Fish & Chips (of course), English Breakfast (completely different than the American version), liver & onions with mash and various pies (steak & kidney being the most famous). Somethings can be bought to prepare yourself (faggots, haggis, etc.). Some good English food is hardly ever seen here (I am thinking of Lancashire Hot Pot, Bubble & Squeak, Corned Beef Hash, Beef Stew, etc.). Two things tat are very regional in England are cheese and sausages. A cumberland sausage is completely different than a Lancashire pork sausage, they cannot be compared. All types are available in Thailand. This also goes for cheeses. Most of the people in England do not like rubbery cheese like Cheddar. Each area has its own favourite. My favourite English cheeses are Lancashire, Cheshire, Wensleydale and White Stilton. Most English cheeses are available in Thailand.
Thanks for the input. This is great information. The Sunday roast looks unbelievably good. I will give it a go this week.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Jack_Batty wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:50 pm Definitely at the top of my list. But what the heck is up with the baked beans? So odd. I will try it with the baked beans though, because I want the full experience. Hell, it might even be an epiphany for me.
Make sure you find an establishment with quality ingredients. There are many pretenders out there, and definitely don't attempt a Thai version of an English breakfasts - plastic sausages, compressed ham and cold eggs - disgusting and served in many hotels all over Thailand.

When I say quality ingredients, there are plenty of variations. I have my favourites, and no doubt if you try a couple, you will make up your own mind, and have your favourites.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:16 pm
Jack_Batty wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:50 pm Definitely at the top of my list. But what the heck is up with the baked beans? So odd. I will try it with the baked beans though, because I want the full experience. Hell, it might even be an epiphany for me.
Make sure you find an establishment with quality ingredients. There are many pretenders out there, and definitely don't attempt a Thai version of an English breakfasts - plastic sausages, compressed ham and cold eggs - disgusting and served in many hotels all over Thailand.

When I say quality ingredients, there are plenty of variations. I have my favourites, and no doubt if you try a couple, you will make up your own mind, and have your favourites.
I’ve followed the thread on here regarding where to get the best full English breakfast, and I will let it be my guide.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HarryVardon wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:03 pm If you haven't tried Sunday Roast yet then that is your first step. You can choose between Beef, Lamb, Chicken and Pork. It is commonly available in Thailand. If you go to Nani's in Hua Hin it is fresh every Sunday around 12:00. If you go very late it will be reheated which does not taste as good. The other British things that are easy to get in Thailand are Bangers & Mash (well worth trying), Fish & Chips (of course), English Breakfast (completely different than the American version), liver & onions with mash and various pies (steak & kidney being the most famous). Somethings can be bought to prepare yourself (faggots, haggis, etc.). Some good English food is hardly ever seen here (I am thinking of Lancashire Hot Pot, Bubble & Squeak, Corned Beef Hash, Beef Stew, etc.). Two things tat are very regional in England are cheese and sausages. A cumberland sausage is completely different than a Lancashire pork sausage, they cannot be compared. All types are available in Thailand. This also goes for cheeses. Most of the people in England do not like rubbery cheese like Cheddar. Each area has its own favourite. My favourite English cheeses are Lancashire, Cheshire, Wensleydale and White Stilton. Most English cheeses are available in Thailand.
I have to disagree with just one issue - rubbery Cheddar i would agree is definitely a no no, but a quality mature Cheddar is one of my favourites, as well as Blue Stilton, often referred to as “The King of Cheeses”
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If you find a 'full English' anything like this, Jack, go for it!

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I really did think it was a dessert
You're partly right. It can be a starter, main course and dessert.

Spotted Dick is steamed suet pudding with raisins. (Light sponge? Quite the opposite)
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:36 pm If you find a 'full English' anything like this, Jack, go for it!

Haha, I’d have to call for backup! And somewhere nearby to sleep off my ensuing food coma! Look absolutely divine though. I’d give it a go for sure.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:40 pm
I really did think it was a dessert
You're partly right. It can be a starter, main course and dessert.

Spotted Dick is steamed suet pudding with raisins. (Light sponge? Quite the opposite)
Yeah, regarding Yorkshire pudding, I guess you could tweak it to any kind of taste. Just hearing “pudding” in the US, you only think of one thing. And I’ve only seen it on cooking shows, never in real life. They always seem to pour a thin gravy over it.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Was on a job at Drax Power Station near Selby, Yorkshire many moons ago and staying at a local pub. One of my favorite dishes served there was a Sunday Roast in a giant Yorkshire Pudding - that and a couple of pints certainly put paid to the day!! :thumb:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (60.36 KiB) Viewed 895 times
:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You used to be able to get your Sunday roast in a giant yorkshire in Takiep. Unfortunately, the guy retired so his 'pie shop' is no longer.

I'm from Hull, very close to Selby and as far as I know, the pubs still serve food in the giant yorkshire.