Drought leaves parts of Prachaup Khiri Khan 'dangerously low' on water

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
PeteC

Drought leaves parts of Prachaup Khiri Khan 'dangerously low' on water

Post by PeteC »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... w-on-water

The effects of drought are expected to severely hit parts of Prachaup Khiri Khan after the water at the major Pran Buri reservoir in the province recently dropped to a dangerously low level.

The Pran Buri reservoir, the provinces biggest supplier for vast farming areas and communities, currently has about 100 million cubic metres of water left or about 25%.

Many districts in the province are already being affected by a water shortage. Not enough has filled the reservoir.

Pimol Sakuldit, director of the Pran Buri Maintenance and Water Supply Project, said the authorities had anticipated that 124 million cubic metres of rainwater would fill the reservoir from the beginning of the year. However, only 28 million cubic metres of rainwater has been collected, or 77% below the estimate. Mr Pimol said the dry spell has hit many farming areas, adding some crops were only recently planted by farmers who had hoped plenty of rainwater would fall.

He said members of his water project will hold a meeting with related agencies at the end of this month to identify which farmland should be prioritised to receive water from the reservoir. He said farmers will be told to plant other types of crops for the next season to prevent damage from the drought.

Mr Pimol said about 25,000 rai of seasonal rice might have to rely on rainwater to preserve what supply is left at the reservoir for human consumption and the ecology.

Seksan Sonpan, head of the irrigation office in Prachuap Khiri Khan, said even though the rainy season began in May, dams are not being filled.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Re: Drought leaves parts of Prachaup Khiri Khan 'dangerously low' on water

Post by buksida »

Its not pretty. I rode up to a reservior in Thap Sakae a couple of weeks ago and it was so low you could walk across it.

For "rainy season" we've had very little wet stuff this year.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Hopefully the deluge I’m experiencing now in Hin Lek Fai can do something to ameliorate the issue. I’m afraid it’s literally just a drop in the bucket though.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

can do something to ameliorate the issue.
Thanks for that, Jack. Always willing to learn a new word and that was one I'd never heard before.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Water levels must have been really low. I thought the rainy season had set in very early this year in HH. We've had quite a lot of rain since Songkran and rainfall seems more like September/October levels.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

hhinner wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:50 pm Water levels must have been really low. I thought the rainy season had set in very early this year in HH. We've had quite a lot of rain since Songkran and rainfall seems more like September/October levels.
Depends on where you live. In Smorprong, yesterday was the first time it rained and that was very light and short, in a couple of weeks.