General Health Tips and Discussion

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

General Health Tips and Discussion

Post by Spitfire »

I think a thread for this would be good for things that aren't worth starting a new thread over. If you come across a decent health tip that is relevant to folks out here, then post it and discuss it. There are obviously many but I think it would be good to have an index of them and thoughts on agreement or not on the forum for people to look up. Obviously nothing too medical but general tips that folks might not know about seems reasonable.

I'll start by saying I came across this detox drink for the morning (being a social drinker) and is pretty simply but I reckon I feel better for doing it for a while.

Warm water, Himalayan pink salt, honey and the juice of half a lemon stirred up in a glass and downed. All kinds of good things for you there including liver detox.

:cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: General Health Tips and Discussion

Post by HHTel »

I wouldn't need any medical advice providing I could find out in advance, just where I'll die.

I JUST WOULDN'T GO THERE!!!

Seriously though, I've discovered lately that weight that you've worked at getting off, is very easily put back on ++ in a fraction of the time it took to take it off. Before the lockdown, I was doing regular daily exercise, eating a Keto diet and I lost 17 kgs and was much fitter.
During lockdown, I've become a couch potato and discovered just a few days ago that all the weight I'd lost is back.
So back to my previous routine before I get too fat to walk. Exercise, healthy diet will overcome most things.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Nice one there HHTel for that ... certainly true on the exercise front and the healthy diet thing has much to bring up and talk about too.

Another thing I've rediscovered as an easy health addition with good benefits is cashew nuts ... awesome all round, packed full of stuff, especially with vitamin K and a few others as many folks don't get enough of them. An easy addition to your diet.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm almost an addict to almonds and go through a couple of bags every day. Must be good for something.
I do religiously take multivitamins every day (Centrum). There's lots of discussion about the effectiveness but 'cant do any harm' I suppose.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Although I’ve managed to keep my weight under control, I was conscious that I wasn’t getting enough exercise. I used to have a bike, but like me it was past it’s best so I gave it to a family member and bought myself a new one and try to get out on it at least every other day. Regular exercise together with a reasonably healthy diet should work - my normal weight is 80kg which I tend to keep +/- 2kg and drinking very little alcohol is a big benefit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I have started buying those whey protein drinks from the local mall and 7-11 to drink after doing a 4km walk etc. Seems like I can't go wrong for 40-50 baht a pop as this whey protein is well absorbed by your body.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Spitfire wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:56 pm I have started buying those whey protein drinks from the local mall and 7-11 to drink after doing a 4km walk etc. Seems like I can't go wrong for 40-50 baht a pop as this whey protein is well absorbed by your body.
The thing to watch with protein drinks is the amount of sugar (any word with an "ose" ending, is a sugar) in them.
Generally, unless working out, you can calculate 1/2 -1 gram of protein a day, per kilo of body weight. There are arguments pro & con about the amounts needed. A blood test for kidney function would be a good idea before packing on the protein.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've mentioned this before, but I regularly take milk thistle supplements as they're an elixir for your liver - which is good for those that like a bevvie now and then.

Also take magnesium daily which is turbo for your immune system - I very rarely get ill, haven't been to a doctor or clinic for years.

Work out at least three times a week also which helps to keep the metabolism up and weight stable and under 80kg, and have massively cut back on rice intake!

What hasn't been mentioned yet is sleep, which is very important for overall well being. May start to look into teas you can drink in the evening to help relaxation, any suggestions? Using the mobile before bed is a no-no due to the blue light effect on melatonin (though the mrs appears immune). A good book works though!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Funny you mention sleep as I've just bought a new mattress whilst the local mall was having a fire-sale and picked up a 40k baht mattress by Dunlopillo for 15k. The difference is unreal and should have done it ages ago but it's just not something that was a burning priority and has drastically improved sleep quality. Some very good deals to be found at the moment as most places are desperate to sell and clear stuff they have had sitting around for months.
Also take magnesium daily which is turbo for your immune system
Try taking your magnesium supplement in the evening as it aids in the process of going to sleep due to it relaxing muscles and does other relevant stuff too.

I too have given up white rice and bread and only have the brow stuff now as the cards in white stuff get broken down too fast thus releasing a sugar/glucose surge ... brown versions get broken down slower and don't stress your pancreas as much.

Would also recommend looking into a vitamin D supplement as the sunshine vitamin is often overlooked and many are deficient in it plus it's vital for the immune system. Oddly, I have read quite a few news reports about a large % of people who have died or had very serious cases of this covid-19 virus had very low vitamin D levels. OK, nothing proven yet but can't do any harm to cover that angle, I reckon.

Edit - Typos
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:42 am I've mentioned this before, but I regularly take milk thistle supplements as they're an elixir for your liver - which is good for those that like a bevvie now and then.

Also take magnesium daily which is turbo for your immune system - I very rarely get ill, haven't been to a doctor or clinic for years.

Work out at least three times a week also which helps to keep the metabolism up and weight stable and under 80kg, and have massively cut back on rice intake!

What hasn't been mentioned yet is sleep, which is very important for overall well being. May start to look into teas you can drink in the evening to help relaxation, any suggestions? Using the mobile before bed is a no-no due to the blue light effect on melatonin (though the mrs appears immune). A good book works though!
For sleep, Villa has Sleepytime tea. You can also use Valerian for tea or in capsule form and Lavender Essential Oil. Spray a few drops on your pillow. There's also Melatonin. Start with 3 mgs. a night for a few nights and if that doesn't do it, increase the dosage by 1mg. per night until it works. Some people experience vivid dreams with Melotonin.