Haggling and batering

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
pj2904
Amateur
Amateur

Haggling and batering

Post by pj2904 »

Hi,

Not want to offend any locals when I arrive, can someone please give me an idea of the range I can use when negoaiting a purchase in the local area.

Thanks.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

I haven't done any haggling or bartering for ages (I let the g/f do it as she always gets a better price!) but when I did I always used a general rule of thumb which was that you ask them how much, then if the figure quoted is much more than I expected to pay (and knowledge is key here) I would generally offer half of the quote (dependent on the item and price quoted) and then go from there. Another tactic is to say 'too expensive' (Pairng mak mak in Thai) and slowly start to move away - this will normally entice them to offer close to their 'best price'. However the best idea if you are here on holiday is to think how much the item would be at home, and if you can buy it cheaper than that, then you have a bargain! Even if you overpaid compared to the locals, who cares? You got what you want at a price you are happy with. :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Good advice above.
I'd also add that it really depends on what you're negotiating about. If it's house, you'll be hard. If it's a bunch of bananas,you'll probably be more relaxed.
Forget the rule of offering a third of the asking price and settling for half. That's guide book speak. I would reckon on about 20-30% off what you're discussing.
But it really depend on the situation. I must admit that I'm probably ripped off more than a tourist, simply because I can't be bothered to haggle. If the price "isn't right" the first time, I walk away and never go back.
BTW, haggle=negotiate. Barter means trading.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

I may be lazy, but I never haggle if I think a reasonable price is being charged. I've heard the old "it's expected" & "they enjoy it" cliches, but I think it's just cheap to try & get a few baht off if you already think the price is OK.
If I think they're trying it on, I laugh (nicely) and use the same approach as the Lomu & Wanderlust. It really does help if you speak enough Thai to say and understand numbers, say things like "pairng mak" (too expensive), mai ao (I don't want) etc. If it's still too expensive, walk. If you really want it, well, I guess you have to pay. :)
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Like Wanderlust, I leave all haggling to the girlfriend, as she is lethal. We were up in Nang Rong recently buying some furniture, first she spent twenty minutes reducing the price of a cabinet. Meanwhile I had spotted a chair I fancied so she spent another twenty minutes knocking that down. Then when the shop owner had come up with the bill, my girlfriend started haggling all over again with the total price. I can’t remember how much we saved, but I’m convinced it was the lowest price attainable.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

I was going to suggest exactly the same strategy as Wanderlust.
pj2904
Amateur
Amateur

Post by pj2904 »

Thanks for the tips guys.