(Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

(Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Post by Lost »

England is kicking off with the mask/no mask thing. You wear a mask you're 'a dumb gullible sheep bending over for the government'. You don't wear a mask you're 'a covidiot putting lives at risk'.

Me? Always wear one. I'm not particularly concerned by the virus but if it makes those that are feel safer around me then so be it. Not uncomfortable for me. Forget it's there. I'm also pretty ugly but have nice eyes, so it works out fine for me.

Just curious, are there any forum members that strongly oppose the wearing of masks? If so, why?

(sorry mods not 'news', delete or move if u want)

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
buksida

Re: (Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Post by buksida »

Personally, its yes in public places that are crowded (shops, stations, school, etc), but no at home, when I'm around familiar people, and all other times.

Thailand is claiming zero Covid - so effectively its like an isolated island here (in theory), more so in the remote places with lower populations. I think people here are starting to put some faith into that so we're seeing fewer masks outside of the big cities (where they're worn anyway due to the air pollution). Where we live in the sticks, its less than a third of people are wearing them now.

Naturally, the situation is very different in the UK and US.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I wear a mask in shops and public places. I don't wear a mask at home, in my car, driving my motorbike (helmet face visor).
According to stats, there hasn't been a local infection for 70 days in Thailand. Helped by mitigation but mainly from the closure of borders and strict quarantine procedures. Unless it is imported by 'illegals' (as in Vietnam) then the situation should continue.
If the virus is still alive here, it should be drawing a pension!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm the same. Yes in public places and no at home. I have a goatee type short trimmed beard and a mask tends to drive me nuts because of that. I also find myself with clogged sinus and weeping eyes if I should wear it for more than an hour or so without a break. All of that is probably because I haven't worn one long enough or regularly to become used to it and overcome the effects.

We have a few Thai Navy doctors as neighbors and they say they feel naked when not wearing one! :laugh:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

I only wear one I shops otherwise they won’t let you in. But it’s all pretty pointless.
Cloth masks despite any scientific evidence they prevent viral transmission, and unless you change them frequently are a breeding ground for bacteria.
Infrared temperature scanners that are so in accurate they are next to useless.
Signing in with fake names on a bit of paper.

When does it end?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Here in the UK I've bought a couple of these:

mask.jpg
mask.jpg (4.14 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
face mask.jpg
face mask.jpg (5.77 KiB) Viewed 2785 times

I know I'll forget those poxy little medical masks when I go shopping, so I slip one of these on before I go out and pull it up if I want to go into a shop. I have the added advantage of looking even cooler than normal rather than like a Casualty extra. 8) :rasta: :naughty:
Lost wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:20 am England is kicking off with the mask/no mask thing. You wear a mask you're 'a dumb gullible sheep bending over for the government'. You don't wear a mask you're 'a covidiot putting lives at risk'.
I can't say I've noticed anything "kicking off" here. I know it's an issue in parts of the US, with those people who want to carry a semi-automatic weapon but not wear a mask ("my constitutional rights" :roll: ), but I'm not aware of substantial numbers of people objecting here in the UK. Daily Mail readers, perhaps? :laugh:

I don't pull it up when I'm walking down the street, though many do, only when I go into a shop. My problem is remembering to wash my hands as soon as I get home.
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wear mine in public places. If doing my daily lake walk, I wear it on my chin, but pull it back into position if within about 50' of people i.e. I don't want to be fumbling with my mask as I'm in range of people.

Wearing a mask doesn't bother me at all.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

I wear a mask whenever I'm out and about but not at home. Every scientific study I've ever looked at finds that masks are at least partially effective in preventing the transmission of respiratory diseases. Some find that they are very effective.

One of the most comprehensive studies I've seen recently was from Oxford University where they had collected and aggregated data from all over the world regarding mask wearing. Their conclusion was that "face masks and coverings work" and should be worn.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08-ox ... -act-now
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Never at home - what's the point? Not when out walking either - certainly not encountering any crowds in our neck of the woods these days!

Realistically, only ever in shops (or GP/hospital visits...) - legally obliged to do so in England, but not at the moment in Wales.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:43 pm Here in the UK I've bought a couple of these:

Just a way of covering that double/triple chin then DM? :D :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%.

Conclusions

This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420971/

IMG_0160.JPG
(341.61 KiB) Downloaded 2370 times
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That was a study more than 5 years ago and was studying the efficacy of cloth masks against surgical masks in light of protection of health workers. It was not about the effective reduction of transmitting a disease.
The parameters of this study don't relate to the public wearing face coverings in mitigation for the spread of the disease, in this case Covid-19

The study was carried out exclusively in hospitals with quite a different objective.

The aim of the public wearing a mask is to protect others, not the wearer.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Many of those quotations cautioning against mask use are outdated, taken out of context or both. For instance the BMJ one hides the fact that it was a study comparing cloth masks to surgical masks in health care workers only. What its saying is that cloth masks are not as effective as surgical masks in a clinical setting. It is not applicable to the question of whether the general public should or should not wear masks.

There are plenty of studies showing that masks do have a beneficial effect, especially some of the more recent ones.

I would refer you again to the Oxford University study. After analyzing many different sources worldwide, it says that:
The evidence is clear that people should wear masks to reduce virus transmission and protect themselves
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I wear a mask only when robbing banks and 7-11's.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

HHTel wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:35 pm The aim of the public wearing a mask is to protect others, not the wearer.
That's why I wear one in public places. I would hate to infect someone. If I get it that's not great, but I will deal with it.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.