(Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: (Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Post by HHTel »

Not at all surprising. That's the same in the US and the UK and probably most countries that have dropped the mandate. Private enterprises can make their own policy and that's always been the case whether mask wearing or other rules.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:04 pm Not at all surprising. That's the same in the US and the UK and probably most countries that have dropped the mandate. Private enterprises can make their own policy and that's always been the case whether mask wearing or other rules.
It will be interesting to see if there are as many mask anarchists here as in the West, and if the news will cover their rebellion, and the fight back by the other side. :popcorn:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I don't think masks have ever been a problem here. Many were wearing them before covid. Different culture and polution in the west.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:12 pm I don't think masks have ever been a problem here. Many were wearing them before covid. Different culture and polution in the west.
True, but if this mass influx of foreign tourists is going to take place there's going to be dirty looks and comments as they won't be wearing them as religiously as the Thais. Maybe they'll try to hand them out on the train platforms again. :shock: :duck:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Oh yeah. Anutin handing out masks from his dirty fingers to us dirty farangs.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I am in Bkk right now and where I went todaay, it was mask wearing as usual. That included a temple for a booster jab, Emquartier, a starbucks, 7/11 and people on the street. I am glad the BTS still require masks to be worn. In my limited experience, it still hasnt reached pre-covid usage, but at peak times, it's getting there.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Watched a video clip of Kao San Road on FB. Claimed to have been taken last night. Nobody wearing masks including the Thais.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

True story: I wore a mask at work today as I couldn't be arsed to shave off three days facial hair growth this morning.

Always appreciate having options.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:49 pm Watched a video clip of Kao San Road on FB. Claimed to have been taken last night. Nobody wearing masks including the Thais.
KSR isn't exactly normal though, is it. I was out and about again this morning and I was specifically looking for anyone, anywhere, not wearing a mask. Never spotted one. That included Thonglor, suk 55 to Phrom Phong, Emquartier again (forget to collect plants bought yesterday) and the back roads between Phrom Phong and Thonglor, which are very busy. Everyone masked up.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Me too. Around HH this morning and I was the only one without a mask. Almost like walking through a nudist camp. You're the only one wearing clothes and you're the only one feeling embarrassed.

I've also noticed this morning that many store websites have been updated stating "Masks required. All staff wear masks"
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My daughter tells me that all her friends believe the mask law isn't lifted until 1st July (that was the original announcement)
Let's see how many locals go mask free next week. Personally I think masks for locals will become the status quo.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:20 pm
HHTel wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:12 pm I don't think masks have ever been a problem here. Many were wearing them before covid. Different culture and polution in the west.
True, but if this mass influx of foreign tourists is going to take place there's going to be dirty looks and comments as they won't be wearing them as religiously as the Thais. Maybe they'll try to hand them out on the train platforms again. :shock: :duck:
The dirty looks are steered from something else than Covid -19 and mask or not mask.
hahuahin
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Hahuahin wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:03 pm The dirty looks are steered from something else than Covid -19 and mask or not mask.
hahuahin
That's material for a whole other thread. :wink: :D
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well, I drove back to Hua Hin earlier. In 5 full days in Bkk, I probably saw no more than a handful of farangs not wearing masks walking along the street, some had them around their chin. I only saw three Thais without masks, one crossing Thonglor had it in his hand, the other two were running (not jogging). Amazingly, one was running in the road the length of Suk soi 26, which is a narrow road. Must have had a death wish!

There is a brand new TOPS food hall in Sukhumvit 39 (albeit nearer Petchaburi Rd) and I saw two farangs in there - but not the supermarket - without masks, despite the store rules and in Bluport after my arrival in Hua Hin earlier, one farang female was mask-less in Gourmet Market, again, against store rules (I believe).

That was it.

I have to say, that along quiet stretches of road without many pedestrians, such as Sukhumvit between Thonglor and Phrom Phong, I would happily remove the mask, but in busy areas, I would put it back on.

It will be interesting, as said above, to see whether that changes anytime soon.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Stores/shops/private businesses can make their own rules as in other countries. However apart from edits to some store websites, policies within stores are not obvious (as yet). Should you walk into Bluport without a mask and you're challenged. It's quite fair to say "Show me your policy rules"

Personally, I will wear a mask in shopping centres and stores (like 7/11). But there's no clarity as yet.