WARNING - Brainless Idiots at Work

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

WARNING - Brainless Idiots at Work

Post by Big Boy »

Since I started taking root in my armchair at the start of Covid restrictions, I gave myself a boot up the backside, and walk around the lake at Khao Tao most days. It was getting me out of the house, I was encountering only a few people and was always socially distanced and I was getting a daily fix of exercise whist enjoying nature.

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed long lengths of fishing line tied at one end to the perimeter fence, but blowing in the wind. I've looked and wondered what it has been for several times. It has appeared harmless enough, and I guessed it was meaningful to Thais, so I just walked on.

This morning, I found out the hard way what it was. As I drove to Khao Tao I started on the edge of a very black rain cloud, which was clearing Southwards as I drove. When I arrived, the rain had stopped, but you could see Khao Tao had been the victim of a deluge. Normally, there are quite a few early morning runners and walkers around the lake. Because of the rain, I would be the first today.

I was walking quite quickly, when suddenly there was a loud crack, and I felt pain in my foot. I stopped looked down, and I had fishing line wrapped around my foot and leg - there must have been quite a recoil for it to have wrapped itself around me like that.
DSC02015.jpg
DSC02015.jpg (77.96 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
The fishing line had been tied between the fence and an adjacent lamppost, and could have had one purpose - to trip/hurt somebody. Fortunately, the breaking strain was not big enough to stop this giant of a man, but I do have an incision on my right foot (anybody who knows me, knows that due to an ongoing medical problem, a foot injury like this could hospitalise me - fortunately, I know how to treat it).

I dread to think what injury that could have caused to a runner at speed.

Any other lake walkers, please take care - I've seen evidence that this is not a one off prank.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Re: WARNING - Brainless Idiots at Work

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:29 am The fishing line had been tied between the fence and an adjacent lamppost, and could have had one purpose - to trip/hurt somebody.
Maybe not ... being lazy fishermen, they often set traps for fish at the end of the line using weighted plastic bottles. They're after 'pla chon' (snakehead). I've pulled a load of these contraptions out of our local lake on occasion.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've seen those traps around the lake quite often - this was different.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What are your other walking options? There must be other scenic places nearby or within a 15 minute drive that you could try out. Not just for safety, but for an occasional change of scenery.

Edit: My thought is that if some brainless idiots have it in their heads that the lake is "their place", they won't stop even if it is used by their fellow countrymen and not just foreigners for exercise. They probably blame you people for the drop in fish catches! :banghead:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There are a few options around, but I really like the lake. It is a perfect length to walk, clean, and I feel totally with nature as I walk. There is always something different to see. Car parking at Khao Tao is easy, and there's a nice little cafe where I can sit Mrs BB while I walk, and join her for a drink afterwards. Yes, I do vary it occasionally, but always end up back at the lake. I'm actually off to the other lake with the dogs in a few minutes, just to see where the raft is parked today :D

Regarding today's incident, there are idiots everywhere. I'm aware of the problem now, and will be extra vigilant.

Points 48; Position 20
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I find it frustrating when the titles of threads on the forum don’t give an accurate indication of what the topic of the thread is. Are there rules or guidelines that address how a thread title should be constructed ?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

As with news stories. The headline is designed to pull you in to reading the content.
Frustrating or not, it appears to work doesn't it as you have demonstrated.

If it was entitled "I had fishing line wrapped around my leg", would you have clicked on it?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Scout wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:04 pm I find it frustrating when the titles of threads on the forum don’t give an accurate indication of what the topic of the thread is. Are there rules or guidelines that address how a thread title should be constructed ?
This act was designed to injure or maim somebody. One of the responses on my facebook page actually recollects somebody literally losing their head when hitting a similar trap on their motorcycle. I needed medical treatment. I was fortunate a higher breaking strain was not used, because my injury would have been much worse.

Please suggest a more suitable title to describe such blatant mindless stupidity.

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Please suggest a more suitable title to describe such blatant mindless stupidity.

I like Blatant Mindless Stupidity, has a nice ring to it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As a bye the bye, my wife came around the lake with me this morning, and we found another trip trap. Of course, we were looking out for it and removed it immediately. I would estimate about 200Mtrs from where I nearly came a cropper yesterday.

Points 48; Position 20
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:49 am Please suggest a more suitable title to describe such blatant mindless stupidity.
How about something like “Warning - dangerous tripwires found on trail around the lake at Khao Tao !” ?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hmmm................. doesn't have the same dramatic effect :laugh:. However, if one of my moderator colleagues agrees, I won't object to it being changed.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Why not " Warning - Danger around the lake"
As it could apply to several other lakes where this practice is done
???
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Why not leave it as it is and stop this inane bickering.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There was no evidence of any trip traps this morning, although Saturdays are usually busy any how. I've marked the danger area in red on the aerial photo:
lake.jpg
lake.jpg (73.49 KiB) Viewed 573 times

Points 48; Position 20