Thai national coming to visit farang at home (UK)

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Re: Thai national coming to visit farang at home (UK)

Post by Big Boy »

I thought it was quite reasonable. Having successfully done UK Visa Applications myself a few times over the years, I know it isn't easy. It must surely be worth something for the knowledge alone, and also to have somebody fighting your corner.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Absolutely agree, BB.
I remember long ago trying to get a visa for my soon to become wife. Her application was refused 3 times. I traveled back to Thailand to see what was going on.
A further interview with me outside and she was refused again. I was called into the booth and the reason this girl told me was that she hadn't any reason to return. "She has a child here" I replied. "Oh they leave them you know." she retorted.
I then demanded an 'audience' with the boss. "You can't see him. He's very busy". "I'm a British national in a foreign country and I can demand to see who I like. Go and sort it".
She eventually came back with a 9am appointment the following day. My wife was then interviewed by the 'boss' and his English speaking secretary.
The result was that they could find no reason not to grant her visa application which was put in her passport almost immediately.

The point I'm making is that 30K would have been a bargain if it avoided all that hassle.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Also, that 30K is not all profit. The cost includes:

- photocopying
- translations
- taking applicant to Bangkok
- pay for the application
- a lot of admin, which the agency will be paying for stationery and wages.

All that for just 10K. If the application fails, you pay no more. The fact the application has to succeed before you hand over the extra cash is a HUGE incentive to ensure success,

Even though I've never failed in my quests for UK visas, I had told my son it was a good deal, and recommended he go down the Key Visa route. The goal posts move regularly, and there is no way individuals will be able to keep on top of it.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

And in the current climate they could be looking for any small excuse to reject an application if the i’ are not dotted and the t’s not crossed!! The fact that you are not married makes the application more difficult than if you were. Even if you do decide to go down this route, there is still the unknown about travel restrictions, particularly on the return to Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:39 pm particularly on the return to Thailand.
Yes, I was wondering about that. The Embassy is normally paranoid about reason to return. In the current situation it is nigh on impossible to return. Are they actually issuing tourist visas? Again, a quick no obligation enquiry to Key Visa or direct to the Embassy might put you out of your misery before you start.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think the thread is about a Thai national going to the UK. The return doesn't need a visa as she is a returning Thai national. Just the hassle/hoops and expense.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, it is, but part of that process will be obtaining a visa. As the British Embassy is already paranoid about Thais having good reason to return, if flights etc are impossible, I suspect issuing of the necessary visa would be very difficult as the Thai could become a huge burden on the state if effectively trapped.

Usual funding requirements could become strained if the stay becomes unavoidably lengthened.

[Edit] Basically, how feasible is it obtaining a visa to visit the UK at the moment?

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:51 pm Yes, it is, but part of that process will be obtaining a visa. As the British Embassy is already paranoid about Thais having good reason to return, if flights etc are impossible, I suspect issuing of the necessary visa would be very difficult as the Thai could become a huge burden on the state if effectively trapped.

Usual funding requirements could become strained if the stay becomes unavoidably lengthened.

[Edit] Basically, how feasible is it obtaining a visa to visit the UK at the moment?
Especially when you are only the GF of your sponsor - I would have thought very difficult for the foreseeable future.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Have talked to Key and they seem pretty relaxed about it and say most of their business is this way at the moment

Also about the initial 10k.

The application fee itself is 4000

Also they transport return to bkk and hold gf hand

The 10k seems very reaonable with all the paperwork and advice

So another 20k for the guarantee which is ok

SIAM legal charge 20k no guarantees no assisted trips
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

There are plenty of reports elsewhere where UK visas have been issued but travel hasn't been possible and of Thais stuck in the UK still waiting to hear what happens once their visa expires as they can't get back. In the latter case I think they will be extended. In the former I think the money is lost.
Talk is cheap
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Incidentally she can show return from tripd to hk south africa and dubai which should help

Aling with running her beauty salon for 7 years so fingers crossed.

I will let you know how it goes with Key
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

caller wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:58 pm There are plenty of reports elsewhere where UK visas have been issued but travel hasn't been possible and of Thais stuck in the UK still waiting to hear what happens once their visa expires as they can't get back. In the latter case I think they will be extended. In the former I think the money is lost.
Hi can you point me in the direction of some of these reports please. I would be interested

Cheers
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I can only re-iterate my daughter's (Thai national) experience in trying to get back from the US. Her visa ran out almost 3 months ago. USCIS gives her an extension every month for a further 30 days. It's almost 3 months now since she applied for repatriation. Only this last week did she get notification of 'application approved' from Thai immigration. The Thai embassy has said she's now on the waiting list for a flight and should be on a flight next month (September). Cost involved is considerable. 400 USD refund for her return ticket. The repat flight is going to cost in the region of 2,000 to 2,500 USD for her repat ticket. Then of course two weeks in quarantine when she arrives.
Regardless of whether she can get a visa from the British embassy or not, the return I would have thought would make it a non-starter.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

ahandpatsy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:04 pm
Hi can you point me in the direction of some of these reports please. I would be interested

Cheers
Thailand-UK forum. Easy to google
Talk is cheap
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

caller wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:11 pm
ahandpatsy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:04 pm

Cheers
Thailand-UK forum. Easy to google
Yes easy to google if you know what to google, but thanks for the information :cheers:

I think the people that got caught out, from what I can see about 6 couples, obviously submitted their applications and received VISA's just as this thing blew up. That was just plain unlucky and I feel sorry for them.

Hopefully leaving it a while longer may make things clearer and less risky. But I guess a second wave could scupper anything.