Fiber internet with 3BB Hua Hin

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Re: Fiber internet with 3bb Hua Hin

Post by Hahuahin »

Thanks for informative replies. After some investigation it seems there are the property developer (Condo) "putting down the foot" and then not much I can do with that except moving to another place :|
Regarding speed and fiber I have previously in another condo been up to 150 with 3bb's cheapest package and stable around 100.
hahuahin
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

PJG wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:03 pm Reading this thread decided to test my speeds. Am in Khao Takiep and use True Fibre getting 63.3 download and 47.25 upload, is that good or bad or about average?
I'd say that's bad. I get download at around 300 download and around 250 upload.

What do you pay? I pay a little over 900 baht monthly.
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

HHTel

The speeds you get is that with Lan cable or WiFi from router?

The speeds I recorded are on my phone wifi from router.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

What speed you see depends on what equipment you're measuring it on. Consider the flavor of WiFi you're using, 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps Ethernet, old or new PC, tablet, phone, processor inside, etc.

I have 3bb 1000/200 package. My laptop uses WiFi 802.11n (WiFi 4) and speedtest.net shows upload and download speeds of approx 50 Mbps. Whereas my phone, using 802.11ac (WiFi 5) can measure over 200 Mbps up/down.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Also with WiFi the speed will vary depending on distance from the access point (router), how many walls between, radio interference from other devices, etc.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

PJG wrote:Reading this thread decided to test my speeds. Am in Khao Takiep and use True Fibre getting 63.3 download and 47.25 upload, is that good or bad or about average?
I'd say this is pretty reasonable if using 2.4 GHz WiFi (802.11n, WiFi 4).
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

hhinner wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:56 am What speed you see depends on what equipment you're measuring it on. Consider the flavor of WiFi you're using, 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps Ethernet, old or new PC, tablet, phone, processor inside, etc.

I have 3bb 1000/200 package. My laptop uses WiFi 802.11n (WiFi 4) and speedtest.net shows upload and download speeds of approx 50 Mbps. Whereas my phone, using 802.11ac (WiFi 5) can measure over 200 Mbps up/down.
Not 3BB related for me but really interesting. Am using True max up/down 200 @799 per month.

Have just tested PC & phone side by side.
PC 25down/26up
Phone 57down/31up

Think it is time for a new PC

:cry:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

hhinner wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:00 am
PJG wrote:Reading this thread decided to test my speeds. Am in Khao Takiep and use True Fibre getting 63.3 download and 47.25 upload, is that good or bad or about average?
I'm using exactly that. (2.4G, Wifi 4, 802.11) and I get around 300 mbps download!! I wouldn't call 63 mpbs reasonable.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Someone mentioned distance from the router being a problem. That's true. My family were complaining about signal strength on their phones when upstairs. Problem was solved by installing a wifi booster. Very easy setup and just plugs into an electrical socket. Phones etc, automatically switch to the booster when going upstairs.

The download speed in my case is all about downloading movies which I do a lot. A 2 hour movie of around 2 gig downloads in under 5 mins which I'm very happy with. 4K movies take longer but the quality is worth the extra wait.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know we're talking 3BB, and I use AIS, but I will share a recent problem I had, My son was teaching internationally using Zoom. His sessions were falling out because there wasn't enough bandwidth. He got his wife to call AIS to explain the problem, but because she didn't understand bandwidth, and it was a long time before she passed that on to them.

Almost immediately they came back and asked if we were using 5G. I told her we didn't have 5G.

A bit more looking............ Ah, you do have 5G (hard wired into Playbox),but its never been enabled for other devices. They did something, and I now had an option for 4G and 5G. The 5G speeds were incredible.

So, why am I sharing this? I'm wondering if HHTel has the 5G version, and others might be chugging along on 4G. At the end of the day, 4G is fine unless you're some kind of nerd. The only real advantage is I can now download a movie in 30 seconds instead of 2 minutes.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Don't confuse WiFi 5g and telephony 5g - they are different things. There is no 4G WiFi. For WiFi the g in 5g refers to the wireless frequency band in use - 5 gigahertz (5GHz) . In telephony the g in 5g refers to generation, i.e. 5th generation.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:
hhinner wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:00 am
I'm using exactly that. (2.4G, Wifi 4, 802.11) and I get around 300 mbps download!! I wouldn't call 63 mpbs reasonable.
Getting half the theoretical maximum for 802.11n is extremely good. You must have a very good router and PC.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:39 am Don't confuse WiFi 5g and telephony 5g - they are different things. There is no 4G WiFi. For WiFi the g in 5g refers to the wireless frequency band in use - 5 gigahertz (5GHz) . In telephony the g in 5g refers to generation, i.e. 5th generation.
I have 2 options these days, my surname followed by 4G and my surname followed by 5G. The latter is 4x faster. I don't care what its called, I loved the crazy speed increase - I was delighted before, but a quick fiddle at the other end, and I now simply click the line that says 5G.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Below is what I have from TOT. Ignore "Hansson3" as that's my neighbor's house. What's coming to the house from TOT is the top and bottom listing. The first being the normal, 2.4G connection, and the last what they call the 5G connection. That is the one to use for any video streaming. It's faster, but the distance via wi-fi is much less than the 2.4G normal connection. I think this is what BB is talking about on his AIS system, as I too have to switch between the two on my various wi-fi connected devices. I would think all the ISP's here offer the same switching options.

phps7Vj3APM.jpg
phps7Vj3APM.jpg (19.65 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that looks similar.

What I'm saying is we had to request the faster 5G connection (no extra cost).

Points 48; Position 20