Fiber internet with 3BB Hua Hin

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: Fiber internet with 3bb Hua Hin

Post by buksida »

Not in Hua Hin - but we've just had 3BB fiber installed.

I've been having no end of problems with TOT which would cut out multiple times a day and run so slow it was impossible to stream anything. The average speed was about 8-9Mbps (when it was on), the package was supposed to deliver 50.

It was time to upgrade so for the same price (650 a month incl. VAT) I got 3BB fiber installed. The package was 1000/300 but I knew this was a theoretical maximum and we'd never get anywhere near it.

However, what a difference I'm already seeing - triple-digit download speeds of around 120Mbps when tested to servers in the U.S. using WiFi. It is a little slower when the VPN is connected, but still a LOT faster than TOT - ten times faster in fact for the same money.

Happy days - I can stream live TV again!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:clap:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think I’m going to become a 3BB customer soon!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

A few observations after a day of testing.

Speeds and latency are much better than TOT. Testing to local Thai servers gets around 300-400Mbps (TOT maxed out at about 25-30). Testing to international servers in the US/UK gets around 120Mbps (TOT never went above 8-10, though it did go higher using the VPN).

Streaming works flawlessly now and movie downloads are rapid. Stuff like Netflix on the TV comes up instantly and I haven't seen that annoying buffering circle once.

They provided a dual-band router so devices with older adaptors can use the 2.4GHz channel while the high-speed ones can jump onto the 5GHz channel. WiFi signal is also much stronger suggesting 3BB uses superior hardware to TOT.

What they didn't tell me (doubt they even knew themselves) was that hard-wired connections are limited by the CAT5 cable which can only process a maximum of 100Mbps. I've now ordered CAT6 cabling which should boost speeds even further on the desktop PC and any hard-wired devices on the LAN.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

Thanks for your useful update - it looks like we'll be following you to 3BB soon.

The days when we regularly connected at 71-80Mbps are no more... 30-40Mbps is our "new normal" speed.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes, it seems that TOT is not very proactive at upgrading their infrastructure which is why they are losing market share.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I guess this seems like a whole new world you've been missing out on, Buksi, especially the speed of which you can download movies. For example, I've just downloaded a dozen movies from YTS in well under half an hour.
Enjoy!
buksida

Post by buksida »

It is. To be honest, the download speed wasn't too bad before, a movie would take about 40 minutes. It just kept cutting out and wouldn't stream properly. Either way, this new connection is like lightning in comparison.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Boy with a new toy!! lol
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:18 pm Either way, this new connection is like lightning in comparison.
Lightning in comparison to the majority of the UK if you're getting speeds of 120 mbps!! My connection is classed as fast, but only reaches +/- 50 mbps :(

[EDIT] Still, fast enough to live stream sports etc.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:44 pm
buksida wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:18 pm Either way, this new connection is like lightning in comparison.
Lightning in comparison to the majority of the UK if you're getting speeds of 120 mbps!! My connection is classed as fast, but only reaches +/- 50 mbps :(

[EDIT] Still, fast enough to live stream sports etc.

Likewise, at around 60 mbps. But that seems more than adequate to meet my needs.
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just googled "what is the fastest wifi speed available in the UK"'

There are some incredible claims.
Hyperoptic up to 1 gbps (average 900 mbps) currently £45 pm.
Community Fibre - ridiculous at 3 gbps £99 pm.
Vodafone at 900 mbps £58
Virgin 516 mbps £89

Many more with various speeds and prices:

https://www.techadvisor.com/feature/bro ... k-3682120/
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:50 pm Just googled "what is the fastest wifi speed available in the UK"'

There are some incredible claims.
Hyperoptic up to 1 gbps (average 900 mbps) currently £45 pm.
Community Fibre - ridiculous at 3 gbps £99 pm.
Vodafone at 900 mbps £58
Virgin 516 mbps £89

Many more with various speeds and prices:

https://www.techadvisor.com/feature/bro ... k-3682120/
My Old Dear was quoted 900 Mbps - she gets 30 Mbps on average. I was quoted a very unrealistic 1 GBps and get +/- 50 Mbps - a friend on Virgin (as above) gets +/- 20 Mbps...... High time the UK sorts itself out.

What are the promises and guarantees in Thailand? For example in the UK, my contract states that I should "expect" 800 Mbps - 1 GBps (which sold me), but actually only guarantees 40 Mbps and this "over a period"!!

Daylight robbery here, how about elsewhere?

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm quite happy with 60 mbps at £24, thanks very much! :laugh:
I imagine those ultra-high speeds are only available in a few areas, probably major cities.

EDIT: Just checked at the link and I'm already getting the best speed available in my area.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:32 pm I'm quite happy with 60 mbps at £24, thanks very much! :laugh:
I imagine those ultra-high speeds are only available in a few areas, probably major cities.

EDIT: Just checked at the link and I'm already getting the best speed available in my area.
I agree - I've zero issues with my +/- 50 Mbps. I can watch live streams - BT Sports on the TV (HD), download movies quickly (have not checked the time), Netflix et al all OK.

I pay around the same (+/- £25) but then again in the UK we have to add the BT Phone Line rental fee! (pretty much the same per month :cuss: )! Do you guys in Thailand suffer the same?