The Humble Beans on Toast

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

The Humble Beans on Toast

Post by Lost »

I remember having places in Hua Hin that I'd prefer for a quick beans on toast. Better bread (not sweet). Better beans. More beans etc. So maybe folk can mention the better places here. I used to like oasis. But that was a while ago. Aside from that, if knocking it up at home...

I've recently been experimenting with how I do my beans. I'm not a chef, but am willing to play about with my beans a bit.

After loads of trial and error, I've got a really good bean recipe down:

* 1 tin Branston baked beans.
* Small teaspoon of Thai chilli paste
* A generous glugging of cayenne hot sauce
* Teaspoon of sugar
* Sprinkling of chilli flakes

Really love this! Think a Thai palate would, too.

So, where are the best places for beans on toast in Hua Hin? Does anyone else play about with their beans at home? If so, let us know how so we can all try to play about with them, too.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Humble Beans on Toast

Post by Khundon1975 »

A61B4539-171C-458F-BBD1-EEA21FED1722.jpeg
A61B4539-171C-458F-BBD1-EEA21FED1722.jpeg (65.25 KiB) Viewed 676 times
My kid loves these Beans. We make our own bread and he adds chilli flakes. Wolfs them down. :D
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've been a lifetime lover of Heinz beans until a year or so ago. On a visit to Nany's, the only beans they had were Branston's. After scoffing the first tin, I was hooked.

They are far better than Heinz in my opinion.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

When in Villa and want to try something different, see if they have the below. :cheers:

phpHoyolOPM.jpg
phpHoyolOPM.jpg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Regarding Heinz beans, they definitely have more than one recipe - when I was working in the Middle East, they were not the same as those bought in the UK.

One of my fondest memories of eating beans on toast was coming home after spending all night at the maternity hospital at the birth of my first son (More than 40 years ago) and having beans on toast for breakfast - sheer bliss!!
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

When I was at University the student union organized a questionaire for all students. One of the questions on the list was "If you could go into a supermarket and get one item free for the rest of your life, what would that item be?" Baked Beans won by a country mile.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son and I have both gone native - we prefer Thai Baked Beans. I used to pay stupid money for English beans, but we both found we weren't enjoying them as much.

If out for breakfast, we look for quality sausage, quality bacon and Thai beans. If the establishment fails on any if the 3, we just don't go back.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

HarryVardon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:49 am When I was at University the student union organized a questionaire for all students. One of the questions on the list was "If you could go into a supermarket and get one item free for the rest of your life, what would that item be?" Baked Beans won by a country mile.
Wow! my university would have definitely chosen beer!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Now I know what I missed by not going to a university.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:59 am ... If the establishment fails on any if the 3, we just don't go back.
:laugh: :laugh: You don't say... I'm amazed you've got anywhere left to go shopping! :laugh: :laugh:

This is exactly the sort of thread I hate. I've been more than happy with my Beanz Meanz Heinz all my life - it's one of the few items where I won't buy the cheaper own-brand version - but now it looks like I'm going to have to try Branston's... <sigh>

https://www.scotsman.com/news/uk-news/b ... on-1736755
A total of 12 varieties, including Heinz, supermarket own brands and economy lines were tested. Tasters were asked to give marks for several categories, including appearance, aroma and texture.

Baked beans made by Branston came top with 73 per cent, with Heinz taking joint fourth position, behind Asda's and Morrisons' own brands.

Which? said the results were unexpected, adding: "While the very cheapest beans are best avoided, Morrisons' value baked beans bucked the trend – they tasted just as good as Heinz and were less than half the price."

Talking about the Asda and Morrisons brands, a spokeswoman for Which? said: "Although they didn't score as highly as Branston, the beans were still tasty and were rated highly by our testers for appearance, aroma and texture."

She added: "Branston were the only beans to get four out of five stars for taste – our other best buys all got three stars. Our panel of bean eaters liked the 'tasty sauce' and were impressed with its thickness and colour."
Mind you, this fellow might not agree... :laugh: :laugh:
ABSOLUTELY VILE. WOULD NEVER EAT A SINGLE BEAN

Branston Beans are rank. They not only deprive people of the far superior Heinz beans, but they have the audacity to call themselves beans. More like mushy pellets. Wouldn't feed them to my rabbit. 0/10. Wouldn't recommend.
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

ABSOLUTELY VILE. WOULD NEVER EAT A SINGLE BEAN

Branston Beans are rank. They not only deprive people of the far superior Heinz beans, but they have the audacity to call themselves beans. More like mushy pellets. Wouldn't feed them to my rabbit. 0/10. Wouldn't recommend.

Sounds like an employee of Heinz!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:lach: :lach: Definitely a Heinz employee!

I switched to Branston's after a lifetime with Heinz. Recommended them to family and friends in the UK and without exception, they've all agreed that Branston's is better.
Baked beans made by Branston came top with 73 per cent, with Heinz taking joint fourth position, behind Asda's and Morrisons' own brands.

Branston were the only beans to get four out of five stars for taste
Agreed.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:34 am :laugh: :laugh: You don't say... I'm amazed you've got anywhere left to go shopping! :laugh: :laugh:
This is breakfast, not shopping, and I won't pay the premium cost for something I dislike. Yes, there are a lot of breakfast places I won't eat at, but still enough left where standards acceptable to me are maintained.

From what you have said, I would guess similarly, you would avoid any establishment not serving Heinz beans. We all have differing tastes.
dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:34 am This is exactly the sort of thread I hate. I've been more than happy with my Beanz Meanz Heinz all my life - it's one of the few items where I won't buy the cheaper own-brand version - but now it looks like I'm going to have to try Branston's... <sigh>
This is exactly the sort of thread that has the biggest response on the forum. Most members seem to love them.

As for Branston's beans, that is what started the downward trend for me with beans in Thailand. I guess you'll love them.

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

C'mon BB, you see all those laughy icon thingies and <sigh>s? I was just kidding, honest. (Actually we used to buy Campbell's pork 'n beans when I was in HH.) And any suggestion that I was implying that you are the fussiest most selective shopper in HH is absolutely outrageous! :D
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, there are many places I just will never step foot in again, either through bad service, or selling what I don't like. Sometimes I'm shooting myself in the foot, I know. However, there is plenty of choice.

More importantly, I know its all just banter (I hope) :D

Points 48; Position 20