Wheelchair Access

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Big Boy

Wheelchair Access

Post by Big Boy »

Mrs BB suffers ill health from time to time, and sometimes needs a wheelchair to get about. I am the wheelchair chauffeur. I've always known what a nightmare Thailand can be when pushing somebody on 4 wheels from when my son was in a pushchair. Almost 30 years on, I'm reliving the experience, but with a much heavier payload on board.

I'm starting to realise what a nightmare Thailand still is. I've decided to photograph my frustrations, and name and shame. There will also be a few positive stories from time to time.

Fly Now - not a shop I use very often, but I'd heard they might have what I want. I drove into the car park, and was confronted by an Everest of steps. No disabled access to be seen. I asked the guard, and he directed me around the back to the disabled ramp.

Excellent, I parked up, and headed towards the ramp (which was a bit steep, but this old man managed it). As I got to the ramp, they had built what I can only describe as a wheelchair trap. A drain grate that was wider than the wheelchair wheelbase. I somehow got across it on my way to the shop, but very embarrassingly dropped a wheel down the grate on the way out. Nice ramp Fly Now, but I failed your initiative test on the way out.
20200828_112336.jpg
20200828_112336.jpg (123.43 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
Tesco, Market Village - is generally wheelchair friendly, although the fruit and veg area can be a challenge. They have thoughtfully allocated 3 tills to the disabled, pregnant and elderly. However, whilst the sentiment is spot on, zero thought has gone into the design. Please remember, wheelchairs have to access these tills, and there is a regular till opposite in the same aisle. The chosen aisle is the narrowest of all aisles. When it is busy, the disabled tills are virtually inaccessible by wheelchair because the till opposite is blocking the way,
20200829_113641.jpg
20200829_113641.jpg (157.51 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
Even when it is quiet, I am often amazed how many women in Hua Hin must be pregnant. They clearly aren't disabled and they aren't elderly. My humour is totally lost on them when I enquire when the baby is due.

Koncept - a big shout for going that extra mile. We were looking for a new sofa. I parked outside, and strapped Mrs BB in her chair. I walked up and down the frontage - no ramp, and 4 steps. A member of staff spotted us, and and called 4 strong men to accompany us to carry Mrs BB up and down steps - she loved it. So no disabled facilities, but it was not a problem.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Wheelchair Access

Post by Lost »

Almost 30 years on, I'm reliving the experience, but with a much heavier payload on board
If your wife reads this you may have much more to worry about than wheelchair access. :laugh:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

BB not only in Thailand, although the UK has laws about disabilty dangerous pavements, people parking on pavements, shops no space the list is endless, I believe the problem is world wide, not just Thailand. I spoke to my wife about this and she said, the Thais take care of their disabled and the do not need to go out, which I thought is very wrong.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Disabled people in Thailand are put in a virtual prison by their family. They're not expected to go out.
One thing I've noticed in MV, along with other shopping centres, is that they alternate the direction of the escalators on a daily basis. That wouldn't happen in the UK as it would cause a problem for blind people. (They're allowed out on their own in the UK!)
Basically, disabled persons are not so much ignored as not expected to be out and about.
The biggest change I've found in the years here is that disabled toilets are now available in almost every service station. 20 years ago, that was unheard of.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Have you ever seen a Downs Syndrome sufferer in Thailand - almost certainly not, as they’re locked away from society
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've seen a few around Hua Hin. There's a 'Special' school on the bypass which was sponsored by the old king that have several Downs Syndrome people in attendance. I've been there several times and because they're so happy and so very pleased to see us, it makes you wonder sometimes whether their world is better than ours.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I must say,, I am very surprised to hear the 'locked-up' thing. I was not aware, in fact have been noticing more and more people in a similar position. I wonder if its the cost of mobility equipment, and it's transport that is the problem.

It has only been in recent weeks that I have appreciated the true benefits of a disabled parking bay. Having a large car and a wheelchair, it is very difficult to manage in a regular parking bay. I really struggle in regular bays. One of the New Normals is to restrict the number of accesses to shopping malls. I find it very strange when a mall provides disabled parking bays, but then chooses the adjacent entrance/exit as the on to close.

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I found it sad that, in Bang Saphan, at the Tesco the handicapped spaces were always used for promotions. Usually a trailer of clothes or autos covering both spots.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That has just reminded me of the new(ish) Tessebahn Car Park. A disabled space on every floor, but until you get to about floor 5 they are used as motorcycle parking.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Then there are the car parks with plenty of disabled parking, but you have to get out of your vehicle to physically remove a barrier before driving into it e.g. Makro.

Points 48; Position 20
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:22 am Have you ever seen a Downs Syndrome sufferer in Thailand - almost certainly not, as they’re locked away from society
That's not fair. Some of 'em they stick on the telly to laugh a̶t̶ ̶ with.

Sayan-Doksadao.jpg
Sayan-Doksadao.jpg (24.68 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That's a cheap shot, Lost.
Downs Syndrome people have become successful actors, singers, artists, even athletes and university graduates. Many have won international awards.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

HHTel wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:29 am That's a cheap shot, Lost.
Downs Syndrome people have become successful actors, singers, artists, even athletes and university graduates. Many have won international awards.
I apologise. Of course you're correct. I wouldn't really say they get 'locked away from society' as such.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:33 am I wouldn't really say they get 'locked away from society' as such.
They don't mate - only when society makes it so. The LHG works for Mencap in the UK and I've met many of the "care members". Great, great people who just need a bit of help/friendship - and this lock-down has hurt them more than most.

Anyway, sorry - :offtopic:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Basement Food Court, Market Village

A multiple own goal here by MV, which sort of falls in line with HHTel's comments above, and sort of discourages wheelchair users.

- Yes, the is a wheelchair/disabled area, which is very well marked.
- The wheelchair/disabled area is as far away from the food vendors as is possible.
- They have slotted in a row of tables making the wheelchair/disabled area inaccessible to wheelchairs without calling in the furniture removal men, and disturbing patrons eating their meal.
- In the unlikely event of squeezing a wheelchair into the space, there isn;t facility to pull the chair up to the table.

So, Mr Food Court Designer, Brownie points for thinking of a disabled area, but when described in a single word is USELESS.
20200909_123913.jpg
20200909_123913.jpg (71.64 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
20200909_123914.jpg
20200909_123914.jpg (75.37 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

Points 48; Position 20