Wheelchair Access

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
lomuamart

Re: Wheelchair Access

Post by lomuamart »

So ask the eaters if they'd mind moving?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It shouldn't be necessary IMHO. If you build a wheelchair/disabled area, you make sure it can be accessed. Building it as far from the food vendors as possible is just another hint about how serious they take this area, and the fact they are only paying lip service to the need Just a tick in the PC box.

Incidentally, the wheelchair/disabled area used to be good - it has been shoved out of the way over time.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:09 pm Tesco, Market Village - is generally wheelchair friendly, although the fruit and veg area can be a challenge. They have thoughtfully allocated 3 tills to the disabled, pregnant and elderly. However, whilst the sentiment is spot on, zero thought has gone into the design. Please remember, wheelchairs have to access these tills, and there is a regular till opposite in the same aisle. The chosen aisle is the narrowest of all aisles. When it is busy, the disabled tills are virtually inaccessible by wheelchair because the till opposite is blocking the way,
Well done to Tesco, Market Village. The disable access problem has gone away. They have taken down all of the disabled, pregnant and elderly signage :laugh:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Driving a larger car (necessary when carrying a wheelchair), oversized Disabled Bays are essential when loading/unloading a wheelchair (unless you want to scrape the car parked beside you). Market Village has 2 such spaces on its ground floor car park. There are actually 4, but 2 are useless to a larger car if you need to drop the tailgate/unload anything.

I was incensed today when 50% of the available spaces were taken up by a bank vehicle, servicing ATMs. There is a guard (often 2) permanently stationed directly opposite the disabled bays. One wonders what function they serve in their smart uniforms. OK, there was a disabled space on an upper floor, but why do these ignorant gits get away with this abuse?
20201019_103221.jpg
20201019_103221.jpg (100.34 KiB) Viewed 1501 times

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

but why do these ignorant gits get away with this abuse?
Because they can!!

I know just how you feel, BB. When my mother's here, which was 3 months every year (until 2020), I had to carry a wheelchair and those bays in MV are used by anyone.

The other gripe I have is with Makro. They had disabled bays right outside the entrance/exit and I was always able to use them as they are barriered off so not so easy for the casual driver. However they've now created a bank of disabled bays with the main parking. Further away of course and requires navigation across 'the road' to get to the entrance.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

And just to add to to the indignation, what were the disabled bays, have been barricaded off for months so nobody can use them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I've noticed that too at Makro, but Makro is not such a strain on Mrs BB, so she can manage to walk with her stick so I park in regular spaces. I don't believe in taking the space if we can manage without.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:35 am Driving a larger car (necessary when carrying a wheelchair), oversized Disabled Bays are essential when loading/unloading a wheelchair (unless you want to scrape the car parked beside you). Market Village has 2 such spaces on its ground floor car park. There are actually 4, but 2 are useless to a larger car if you need to drop the tailgate/unload anything.

I was incensed today when 50% of the available spaces were taken up by a bank vehicle, servicing ATMs. There is a guard (often 2) permanently stationed directly opposite the disabled bays. One wonders what function they serve in their smart uniforms. OK, there was a disabled space on an upper floor, but why do these ignorant gits get away with this abuse?
I did complain directly to Market Village, and I wasn't too pleased with their response, but we have to remember, it was a Thai responding in English. I can imagine how bad my response would be if I attempted Thai.

Anyway, they obviously listened. As I reversed into a disabled spot today, there was a guard on us immediately checking my wife's eligibility to use the space. So well done Market Village :thumb:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:rant:
I haven't posted here for a while, basically because everything has fine, until this morning.

This morning was my 3 monthly check-up at Hua Hin Hospital. The check-up included a fasting blood test as usual, so no food and drink since 8pm the night before.

I use the Premium Clinic, so no hanging about. Straight in, have my blood test and down for breakfast. At least, that was before New Normal.

Today everything was going to plan, blood test taken, and Mrs BB and I headed down to Amazon for breakfast. Amazon is less than a year old, and built with accessibility in mind. OK, if you have a wheelchair, you need to walk about 5 yards more to use the ramps, but it is a wheelchair friendly design,

So why am I moaning? We went the extra 5 yards this morning, got to the door, and was greeted with this:
146011820_2875468262742136_7751007963266497883_n.jpg
(226.11 KiB) Downloaded 1054 times
From where we were, there is a path to the other door, but I'd guess it is 18" wide with a 3' drop on one side, so totally unsuitable for wheelchairs. The entrance that was open has steps leading up to it.

I was fuming. Of all of the areas I'd expect to be wheelchair friendly, it would have been a hospital.

If they have to close a door to keep Covid out, why not close the one that has restricted access. No, TIT, the ones with legs would have to walk a little further. Lock the door that everybody can use, and we'll have more time to play on our phones.
:rant:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Did you go inside to remonstrate with them?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You've obviously never been in there, else you would have realised how pointless protesting would have been. No, I would have got myself into trouble. Better to just walk away.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I'd have knocked on that door. They must have a key.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:35 am Driving a larger car (necessary when carrying a wheelchair), oversized Disabled Bays are essential when loading/unloading a wheelchair (unless you want to scrape the car parked beside you). Market Village has 2 such spaces on its ground floor car park. There are actually 4, but 2 are useless to a larger car if you need to drop the tailgate/unload anything.

20201019_103221.jpg
Good! You should post & shame these selfish and/or ignorant people everywhere.
Pinoydave
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pinoydave »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:38 pm Basement Food Court, Market Village

Great post and on my travels around Thailand, admittedly I always have my break on my own, but I always look at disabled access and how easy it would be to bring my wife....... I’ve always thought Hua Hin was the easiest place I’d seen

But I struggle pushing her in the UK..... so dread how difficult it will be in that sort of humidity
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Now you've brought the subject of wheelchair access up again :D, I took my wife to Wat Tham Khao Tao a few days ago. Yes, they have installed wheelchair ramps, but getting up and down them is like an Iron Man Challenge. I needed assistance. I would say nigh on impossible without ropes if it rains.

10/10 for the thought. 2/10 for partibility.

Points 48; Position 20