New police chief halts roadside drink-driving testing

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

New police chief halts roadside drink-driving testing

Post by buksida »

The new national police chief has ordered the suspension of drink-driving checkpoints until police can ensure the transparency of the tests.

Pol Gen Suwat Jangyodsuk laid down the order at a meeting with 496 senior police officers, commanders and higher, at the Royal Thai Police Sports Club on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road on Friday.

Pol Gen Suwat, who started in his new position on Thursday, said there must be no drink-driving checkpoints until police can ensure transparency in the process.

“There must not be roadside examination. It must be done at a hospital, so that people can have confidence that they will not be cheated. Until we can do that, we will set them at zero for now,” the national police chief said.

Pol Gen Suwat also said there must be no big gambling dens, online gambling or buying of police positions.

He wanted officers at all levels to be well trained in both the law and tactical operations.

He ordered that police install 5,000 surveillance cameras in Bangkok in four months, saying detectives could no longer make excuses about the lack of cameras.

Pol Gen Suwat promised to listen to his subordinates.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ng-testing

Wow, did I read that right? An honest cop in Thailand?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: New police chief halts roadside drink-driving testing

Post by migrant »

It sounds like a good start, but... No BIG gambling dens??
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The new national police chief has ordered the suspension of drink-driving checkpoints until police can ensure the transparency of the tests.
I'll drive anyone home for free if they buy me drinks all night..... lol
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Lets look back at this in 6 - 12 months and see what sticks. Will be surprising if any sticks. Lure of the Baht is just too much to turn a blind eye to for them.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

There are honest cops in Thailand. But they stay poor, low rank, and don't get to be chief of police.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Increase their salaries to a decent wage and prosecute those caught taking bribes, etc.

Watched the new Chief in a news conference yesterday, he seems like a no BS guy. We'll see.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

handdrummer wrote:Increase their salaries to a decent wage and prosecute those caught taking bribes, etc.

Watched the new Chief in a news conference yesterday, he seems like a no BS guy. We'll see.
Call it PR or call it BS, it's the same. He can't change the system he used to get to the top, because those below won't allow it.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Fine as long as this doesn't lead to more drunken driver's on the road. I have no problem with large fines for people driving with too much drink and don't really care if they go in the pocket of the local policeman or in the state koffers. Drunk driving has to be stopped at all costs! Too many have already been killed and there will be many, many more. Most of those killed have not been drinking, they are victims of the criminals.