Christmas & New Year's Eve 2020

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Christmas & New Year's Eve 2020

Post by Big Boy »

I was driving past Bluport earlier, and noticed their Christmas display at the front of the building :shock: I'll probably post some photos nearer the day (if somebody doesn't post them first), but I don't feel too enthusiastic.

My initial reaction was. "Wow, they're early." Then I look at the date, and Christmas is only 6 weeks away.

If ever there was a year when Christmas should be cancelled, it must be 2020. This year has been complete non-event. Of course there will be the usual offerings around town, but I don't think we'll be doing too much by way of celebration this year.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Christmas 2020

Post by europtimiste »

At VM I was disturbed with the song Jingle Bell, nothing to do in Thailand.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve heard some people say the complete opposite - as this year has been so affected by COVID, Christmas will give them the opportunity to focus on enjoying themselves rather than the pessimism that most of 2020 has provided. We never make a big issue of it, but will do much as we always do - some form of roast dinner and probably put the Xmas tree up early December and that’s about it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I said the same thing. The wife came home with some Christmas cookies/muffins from Starbucks last weekend and I said "Already?!" It simply doesn't seem that close, and in no way am I in the proper spirit this year. :(
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:56 am We never make a big issue of it, but will do much as we always do - some form of roast dinner and probably put the Xmas tree up early December and that’s about it.
We're usually about the same. However, Mrs BB does usually go overboard decorating the outside of the house (a tradition carried over from 20+ years of life in the UK with a Christmas Tree in the centre of the garden that she used decorate each year). I'm sure she'll do the same this year, which will result in a spike in the electric bill, again :shock: .

In the beginning I tried to replicate A UK Christmas here in Thailand for the grand kids, but that became an expensive hobby, and had very little to do with Christmas. Then again, neither does decorating the outside of the house.

BAH HUMBUG!!!

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Last year I worked over Christmas so did absolutely nothing, just about everything closes for two days here in Luxembourg so if you're alone, it's the most boring holiday you can imagine.
This year I'm stuck here because of Covid, so exactly the same but more closed than last year!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Actually, we have never celebrated Christmas on Christmas day since moving here because my son has always worked on the 25th. This year will be the first time we can celebrate on the 25th for 9 years. We've always celebrated on the 26th in Thailand.

Points 48; Position 20
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

europtimiste wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:54 am At VM I was disturbed with the song Jingle Bell, nothing to do in Thailand.
I was shopping there last night and kinda liked listening to the songs.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Jack_Batty wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:54 pm I was shopping there last night and kinda liked listening to the songs.
I wonder if you'll still be saying that in 6 weeks time. :laugh:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Well, one thing we should try to do is make this holiday as festive and as happy as we can on the forum. No bickering, no Covid, no trump, no China, no lack of tourists, or any of that BS on this thread.

Nice stories and experiences, photos, videos or whatever to bring a smile and some relaxation.

We all want to see your lake walk in your Santa suit BB. Let us know when. :D :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Sorry Pete Christmas is something in our house we do not celebrate, I cannot stand the the thought of stuffing myself self with food, all the flashing decorations outside, stuff hanging from ceilings, it has no meaning the days. I hate the falseness of it all. A normal day for us nothing special.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A few years ago, when I was teaching at the Uni, I had classes on the 25th. The first question I asked my students was "What day is today?" After several wrong answers, Easter being one of them, they settled on their final answer - "My Birthday". When I told them it was Christmas Day, I got blank expressions!
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:02 pm
Jack_Batty wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:54 pm I was shopping there last night and kinda liked listening to the songs.
I wonder if you'll still be saying that in 6 weeks time. :laugh:
Nope
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

I expect that for both Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday) and Christmas (this one I don't care much about) that I will be having me dinner at home by myself. Social isolation continues to be a good idea. I'm not bothered as there will be other holidays and ALL of us need to live through this one.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I just realised I have a bi-monthly hospital check up on Christmas Day. I will be changing that in the next few days.
Talk is cheap