UK Citizens Stuck In Thailand.

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
londongeorge

UK Citizens Stuck In Thailand.

Post by londongeorge »

Friend of mine living on Samui called me a couple of days ago with a problem and I was wondering if anyone can help. After having a business in Samui for over 10 years he decided to sell and have a few years just relaxing. He was planning to return to England about 6 months ago but due to COVID he has been unable to leave. His is now stuck in Thailand with his savings all but depleted and no idea when he will be able to leave. He is 63 years old with no living family and does not want to start borrowing money. Does anyone know if the UK Government has any way of helping people in this situation. Any info and/or contact details would be appreciated.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: UK Citizens Stuck In Thailand.

Post by Dannie Boy »

I doubt that the UK Government will help but if anybody knows otherwise I’m sure they’ll reply. Although it might not have been easy, I’m fairly certain there have been numerous UK citizens who have left Thailand during the last near 12 months, so not sure why your friend couldn’t leave earlier before his money ran out? Hope he can sort it out, as Thailand is not such a good place to be with no money.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Why has he been unable to leave? You can leave Thailand, it now requires a neg covid test certificate before travel I believe, and likely quarantine in UK.
Does not sound like this guy has managed his affairs well. It's not the UK governments job to bail him out if he used up all his funds.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

He can leave as stated above. Repatriation flights have been happening throughout. If he is short of funds needed for travel, I believe he can get a loan via The Embassy
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Why doesn't he contact the British Embassy and talk to them? It seems that he's going about it in a roundabout way.
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

londongeorge wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:02 pm no living family and does not want to start borrowing money.
www.freeflighthome.co.uk