Thailand IT - Tail Wagging the Dog

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: The computer said "No"

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:47 am We went to a restaurant on 2nd Floor, Market Village yesterday. Our bill was exactly 700฿. Mrs BB handed over a 1,000฿, and we waited, and we waited and we waited for our 300฿ change. I was saying to Mrs BB, they're assuming it's a nice tip.

20 minutes later, Mrs BB called the girl over, and asked where her change was. She told us the computer had crashed, and they had to wait for it to come back online before they could calculate how much change. FFS 1,000 - 700 = 300 - these places employ cashiers. I wonder what the qualification to be a cashier is? We had to wait a full 35 minutes for our change, along with a lot of other disgruntled customers.

We have another thread going at the moment about AI. This sort of explains why AI is needed. Mental arithmetic is clearly off the curriculum these days.

Only in Thailand (I hope).
The last time I was in the UK, quite a few restaurants and bars have gone cashless so I can imagine that a computer crash in one of them isn't any better than one in Thailand.
At least in Hua Hin you can still find plenty of local places to eat that have a draw of money and a large button Casio calculator on the counter!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand IT - Tail Wagging the Dog

Post by HHTel »

They should default to the manual system and key in the 'paperwork' when the system is back up.
Buying alcohol from some 7/11s outside the legal hours is overcome by saving the transactions until it's in the legal time. Complete reliance on the system to take money and give change is ridiculous.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

When darts computers appeared in pubs it became obvious that mental arithmetic was on the wane. I can credit darts to speeding up my thinking immensely while increasing my alcohol tolerance.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thai IT at its best, no surprise that the biggest culprits are government websites ... guess they have better things to spend their budgets on than web security ...

Thousands of govt agencies failed to protect personal data
The Office of the Personal Data Protection Commission has found that 5,261 organisations failed to protect personal data and they included 4,886 government agencies.

The PDPC office said it detected the huge privacy failure from Nov 9 last year to Jan 12.

It occurred in the form of unnecessarily extensive revelations of personal data on websites and a lack of security measures to protect personal data.

The 4,886 government organisations found deficient in this area were in both central and local government, the office said. It had already informed and told them all to fix the loopholes.

The office also said that it closed 23 Facebook accounts that illegally traded in personal data, and its investigations led to the arrest of five traders.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... sonal-data
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Personal data of 2.2 million Thais leaked on dark web
Personal information concerning 2.2 million Thais, allegedly stolen from the Public Health Ministry’s IT system, has been found on sale on the dark web. The Minister denied that his Ministry was the source. Meanwhile, the Rural Doctor Society said cyber security is a major concern for hospitals, revealing that hospitals have been ordered to strengthen cyber security, but with no budget allocated for this.

The Rural Doctor Society (RDS) revealed the latest data leak on Monday, saying that personally identifiable information (PII) on 2.2 million Thais was on sale on the Breachforums site for US$10,000. The seller claimed the source of the data was the Ministry of Public Health (MOPH).

The Public Health Minister, Chonlanan Srikaew, responded that the leaked information was not from the Ministry since no evidence showed that data from the Ministry was traded. He also asserted that the Ministry has a safeguard system monitored by staff at all times, according to The Standard and Spring News.

https://prachataienglish.com/node/10867
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson