My owner wants me out! Security of tenure

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: My owner wants me out! Security of tenure

Post by thecolonel »

The rental market has dropped quite a bit in the last 4 months

And secondly I'm offering my owner a much greater financial commitment for the longer term.

A the moment my committment to him is 1 months rent. I'm now offering him 14 months, 6 of which are paid upfront. Why would I do that AND pay him MORE rent in a falling market. He should be delighted to get a much more secure longer term rental

It's often gets back to this point in my opinion .... There's a rent for 1 month and there s a rent for 6 months and there's a rent for 12 months.

The longer the committment the lower the rental should be.

I too am an owner and I know I'd accept a lower rent for a longer committment. It stands to reason as there will inevitably be less void rental rental days/weeks

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The business mentality in Thailand does not follow logic. That's evidenced by the general decision to raise prices if sales drop. Most other places would reduce prices to promote sales.

T.I.T.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

thecolonel wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:29 am The rental market has dropped quite a bit in the last 4 months

And secondly I'm offering my owner a much greater financial commitment for the longer term.

A the moment my committment to him is 1 months rent. I'm now offering him 14 months, 6 of which are paid upfront. Why would I do that AND pay him MORE rent in a falling market. He should be delighted to get a much more secure longer term rental

It's often gets back to this point in my opinion .... There's a rent for 1 month and there s a rent for 6 months and there's a rent for 12 months.

The longer the committment the lower the rental should be.

I too am an owner and I know I'd accept a lower rent for a longer committment. It stands to reason as there will inevitably be less void rental rental days/weeks
Yes and no.

Yes, you make perfect sense. Your logic is faultless.

No, this is one case where TIT applies. Your logic is completely useless in Thailand as it simply is not the way most Thais think.

Around 10 years ago I was in a lovely little house in a quiet development in soi 136 [?] near Kao Tao. 10k per month, community pool. Nice area, nice place, nice garden, nice neighbours, nice old landlady in Bangkok who left us to get on with things. We'd been there for 3-4 years and would have remained there for the foreseeable future, when she suddenly announced she wanted to refurbish the house and up the rent to 15k. We moved, she redecorated (basic stuff, nothing more), increased the rent as stated, and the place was empty for at least the next 2 years.

That's the logic you're dealing with. It makes no sense to you or me or anyone else on this forum, but this is the reality of living in Thailand. You have to accept that or you'll go mad.

You also have to accept that usually, it doesn't matter a jot what your rights are. A Thai landlord with a grudge could make life extremely difficult for you.
The rental market has dropped quite a bit in the last 4 months
If so, that's the first time in at least the last 20 years, but I'll take your word for it. The obvious solution is to look around for somewhere better and cheaper than your current rental, then move and enjoy it.
This is the way
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

look for a gentle stress free life. If you stay where you are you will not get it. MOVE, you are a renter, that is yuor ace in the hole, not an owner dealing with the developer,.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:56 pm look for a gentle stress free life. If you stay where you are you will not get it. MOVE, you are a renter, that is yuor ace in the hole, not an owner dealing with the developer,.
This is 100% the way to think about this. 1 month of hassle finding new place v 8 months of fighting and stress. Move on its their loss