Changing Non Im O-A to Retirement Visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Hi Guys, I'm seeking some advice.
I lived in Thailand on a Non Immigrant O-A visa with yearly extensions for 12 years. I was overseas when the Pandemic hit and I could not return, eventually my visa expired and it is not renewable. No problem as I can apply for a new one here and then subject to other constraints I can travel to Thailand.

My question is the new Non Imm O-A valid for one year before I apply for an extension of stay or do I have do something immediately.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Re: Changing Non Im O-A to Retirement Visa

Post by Thailightzone »

StevePIraq wrote:Hi Guys, I'm seeking some advice.
I lived in Thailand on a Non Immigrant O-A visa with yearly extensions for 12 years. I was overseas when the Pandemic hit and I could not return, eventually my visa expired and it is not renewable. No problem as I can apply for a new one here and then subject to other constraints I can travel to Thailand.

My question is the new Non Imm O-A valid for one year before I apply for an extension of stay or do I have do something immediately.
I'm not sure what you mean by the 'new' visa, but when you are issued with a Non O-A Visa you are stamped for 12 months stay upon entry into the country. Remember you must use your Visa within a certain period after it is issued. The only new requirements are that you must have health insurance. Here are the immigration approved health insurance providers

https://longstay.tgia.org

https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

I am not familiar with the certificate of travel or any covid-19 requirements.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

You wan an "O" visa as no health insurance requirements. Health Insurance must be for 400,000 thb which is prohibitly expensive for that benefit. I don't understand the health insurance requirement at all since you already show 800,000 thb in bank (I do). I got stuck with this on last O-A renewal for the first time in 13 years and finally had to pay a bribe to get it taken care of. No health ins. plan covers anyone beyond 75 except only one and it's yearly cost is almost half the cost of the plan payout.
Have now made arrangements with an agent in BKK who can renew my visa with far less paperwork, no 3 hour travel to immigration, and more reasonable fee.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

brianks wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:37 am You wan an "O" visa as no health insurance requirements. Health Insurance must be for 400,000 thb which is prohibitly expensive for that benefit. I don't understand the health insurance requirement at all since you already show 800,000 thb in bank (I do). I got stuck with this on last O-A renewal for the first time in 13 years and finally had to pay a bribe to get it taken care of. No health ins. plan covers anyone beyond 75 except only one and it's yearly cost is almost half the cost of the plan payout.
Have now made arrangements with an agent in BKK who can renew my visa with far less paperwork, no 3 hour travel to immigration, and more reasonable fee.
Hi brianks,
Not sure why you say an "O" visa as I do not qualify (see below). I need an O-A Long stay visa
Non-Immigrant Visa Type “O” may be granted to applicants who meet one of the following requirements:
1. Applicants who are lawfully married to a Thai citizen
2. Dependents of a foreigner currently working or studying full-time in Thailand
3. Volunteers or applicants who work for a non-governmental organization (NGO)
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Hi Steve, I had my eyes opened to this via another thread here.

When in Thailand, there is an option to change an OA visa to an O visa based on retirement. Those that arrive with an OA obtained from a Thai Embassy needn't have bothered about this until they introduced insurance requirements for OA visa holders only. But cheap 'insurance' is now available to cover that.

Edit to say any visa can be changed as far as I know, which gives options with what you come to Thailand with in the 1st place!
Talk is cheap
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Hi Guys,
If as Thailightzone stated that my O-A will be valid for 12 months I don't think I have a problem. All of the other requirements are on the govt web site

I am Jakarta, Indonesia and this makes matters worse as the Thai Embassy staff are scared to even open the gate to let people in. Last time there making inquires I had to do it through the gate to an Indonesian security who continually ran inside to get answers to my questions, needless to say 99% got lost in translation. The embassy does not answer phone calls or emails.

Following receiving my Visa I then have to apply on-line for the Certificate of Entry, with all kinds of supporting documents.

As always Thais love paperwork, I wonder where it all goes.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

StevePIraq wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:33 pm Hi Guys,
If as Thailightzone stated that my O-A will be valid for 12 months I don't think I have a problem. All of the other requirements are on the govt web site

I am Jakarta, Indonesia and this makes matters worse as the Thai Embassy staff are scared to even open the gate to let people in. Last time there making inquires I had to do it through the gate to an Indonesian security who continually ran inside to get answers to my questions, needless to say 99% got lost in translation. The embassy does not answer phone calls or emails.

Following receiving my Visa I then have to apply on-line for the Certificate of Entry, with all kinds of supporting documents.

As always Thais love paperwork, I wonder where it all goes.
It all goes to the companies making toilet paper.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

StevePIraq wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:17 pm
brianks wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:37 am You wan an "O" visa as no health insurance requirements. Health Insurance must be for 400,000 thb which is prohibitly expensive for that benefit. I don't understand the health insurance requirement at all since you already show 800,000 thb in bank (I do). I got stuck with this on last O-A renewal for the first time in 13 years and finally had to pay a bribe to get it taken care of. No health ins. plan covers anyone beyond 75 except only one and it's yearly cost is almost half the cost of the plan payout.
Hi brianks,
Not sure why you say an "O" visa as I do not qualify (see below). I need an O-A Long stay visa
Non-Immigrant Visa Type “O” may be granted to applicants who meet one of the following requirements:
1. Applicants who are lawfully married to a Thai citizen
2. Dependents of a foreigner currently working or studying full-time in Thailand
3. Volunteers or applicants who work for a non-governmental organization (NGO)
The requirements for obtaining a Non-Immigrant O visa (obtained once you are in Thailand) are exactly the same as the Non-Immigrant O-A (obtained prior to traveling to Thailand), except with the Non-Immigrant O visa you don’t needed medical, insurance or criminal background checks. I’ve helped several people enter the country on a visa exempt tourist status, then apply for Non-Immigrant O visa (based on retirement) as soon as they arrive in Thailand. The Non-Immigrant O visa is issued for 90 days, but can then be renewed for 12 months (exactly the same as with an O-A visa but does not require health insurance). For the record, I’m personally on an O-A visa (based on retirement) and must maintain the 400,000 / 40,000 health insurance. Annual cost of this insurance is right around 7,500 baht. Shortly after the time my O-A insurance requirements kicked in the whole Covid lockdown situation occurred, otherwise I would have killed my O-A visa with a short trip out of country (without a re-entry permit), then obtained a Non-Immigrant O visa after returning. Because of the quarantine requirements and costs I’ll stick with my O-A visa and pay the annual insurance premium, at least until some future time when I can do a day trip out of the country and come back in on a tourist status without quarantine requirements. Regardless of the 3 “requirements” listed above, if you can qualify for an O-A visa, you’d also qualify for an O visa. If it was me, I’d come into Thailand on a tourist visa exempt status, quarantine, then obtain the Non-Immigrant O visa after I was in country.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

My only word of caution would be to check that you can still obtain an O visa after returning to Thailand, as when I spoke to Immigration at Tha Yang last year, although she didn’t say no, the normally friendly and helpful woman who sits on the desk by the door, was anything but and couldn’t/wouldn’t give me any advice about transferring to an O Visa.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I will stick with the O-A which I had for 12 years. I was verbally told by the Thai Embassy in Jakarta, via the security guard that I DO NOT qualify for an O Visa, I qualify for an O-A.

As for paying for insurance I don't see that as a big deal, I realize it costs but we all should have insurance, which I used to have.

By the way guys a big thank you for your input, I very much appreciate every comment/opinion posted.
swoods4211
Novice
Novice

Post by swoods4211 »

Unless you are Indonesian, I don’t think you a get an O-A other than in your home country. You can enter on a visa exempt entry and convert to A 90 day O visa and then to yearly extensions though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

swoods4211 wrote:Unless you are Indonesian, I don’t think you a get an O-A other than in your home country. You can enter on a visa exempt entry and convert to A 90 day O visa and then to yearly extensions though.

If you have a valid visa for staying in Indonesia (or any country as far as I’m aware) you can apply for an O-A visa from the Thai Embassy of that country. Back in 2011 I was working and living in Abu Dhabi with all the correct work and residency permits and that’s where I got my O-A visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swoods4211
Novice
Novice

Post by swoods4211 »

Dannie Boy wrote:
swoods4211 wrote:Unless you are Indonesian, I don’t think you a get an O-A other than in your home country. You can enter on a visa exempt entry and convert to A 90 day O visa and then to yearly extensions though.

If you have a valid visa for staying in Indonesia (or any country as far as I’m aware) you can apply for an O-A visa from the Thai Embassy of that country. Back in 2011 I was working and living in Abu Dhabi with all the correct work and residency permits and that’s where I got my O-A visa.

I Australia you need citizenship or Permanent Residency. I think in most countries too.

From Jakarta Embassy websit,

Non-immigrant visa “O-A” (Long stay)

Non-Immigrant Visa Type “O-A” (Long Stay) may be granted to applicants aged 50 and above who wish to retire in Thailand. Applicants for this type of visa must be Indonesian citizens or have Temporary Resident Permit (KITAS) or Permanent Resident Permit (KITAP). The visa is valid for 1 year from the date of issue.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

swoods4211 wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:

I Australia you need citizenship or Permanent Residency. I think in most countries too.

From Jakarta Embassy websit,

Non-immigrant visa “O-A” (Long stay)

Non-Immigrant Visa Type “O-A” (Long Stay) may be granted to applicants aged 50 and above who wish to retire in Thailand. Applicants for this type of visa must be Indonesian citizens or have Temporary Resident Permit (KITAS) or Permanent Resident Permit (KITAP). The visa is valid for 1 year from the date of issue.

As you’ve mentioned above - Temporary Residence - if you have a work permit this normally provides temporary residency

StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I have a KITAS which is a work permit and a residence permit so this gets me the O-A visa. So it should all be fine.

Hopefully I will be back in Ting Tong Land by end of April, 10 days quarantine then Freedom after 15 months of virtual quarantine here.

Jakarta gets a 4/10 from me. Near daily smog which really irritates the eyes and mouth, Traffic, well if you thought Bangkok was bad try here, but no one ever uses a horn. 35C and extreme humidity every day.

Don't think Jakarta is anything like Bali.