Fifa 2022 World Cup Qatar

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: Fifa 2022 World Cup Qatar

Post by pharvey »

OK, penalty ruled out by the ref VAR, but comments at halftime say that if the penalty is ruled out, they can't come back for the foul (under VAR rules).. WTF?!

Wendyball is totally bizarre!! :roll: :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Link works fine for me. Clear penalty.

Another plodding start by England. Do you think Soutgate has told Maguire to go long? Please play to our strengths in the w2nd half and not play with fear.
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Link been disabled now anywho on copyright breach.

1-1 COME ON LADS!!!
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

This referee is an absolute fking joke. Absolute agenda here.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I couldn't help but think when Giroud scored, that isn't it nice to have a centre forward playing where he should be. Unlike Kane. Whose last 4 England goals, have I believe, all come from penalties, and then he messes that up!
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Ho hum. Same old story.

France lucky in my book, thought we were the better team.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Oh well, they're coming home.

I actually thought the better team lost, but having said that, you can see why France are World Champions. I really enjoyed the game, and no complaints with any England player - even Captain H. A good tournament guys.

The best bit - no more silly o'clock :dance:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:02 am France lucky in my book, thought we were the better team.
Maybe in the 2nd half, certainly not the first. The ref will no doubt be blamed along with Kane - Oh Harry, Harry (should that be another thread?). BB was right - he is shite (lost me £5)....

Should have at least gone to extra time IMHO but there you go.....

:cheers: :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

You’d normally put your house on Harry Kane with a penalty but 2 in a game was obviously a step too far. Other than that the boys did ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pharvey wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:06 am
Lost wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:02 am France lucky in my book, thought we were the better team.
Maybe in the 2nd half, certainly not the first. The ref will no doubt be blamed along with Kane - Oh Harry, Harry (should that be another thread?). BB was right - he is shite (lost me £5)....

Should have at least gone to extra time IMHO but there you go.....

:cheers: :cheers:
Unbelievable - one of the best games I've seen Captain Harry have. I obviously need to change my TV to make sure I see the same game you guys are watching.

You can't take it away from France, they are good defending champions.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Thank God for Caerdydd - at least the Welsh can stuff France!! Full-time: Cardiff 41-0 Brive!! :wink:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Thought Saka was outstanding today. Along with him (21), Foden (22) and Bellingham (19) our future is bright. Harry's style of play means he's easily got another Euros and World cup in him. Most of the others, too.

Anywho, we gave the world champions a run for their money and deserved more out of the game. A far cry from the England of yesteryear who were getting dumped by Iceland.

:cheers:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just back home when I thought I'd be watching extra time.

Words fail me. My 13 year old grandson could have done better than Kane with that penalty. I'm sure he'll get no sleep tonight.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

Ah well even Messi misses penalities
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I dont see it as a glorious defeat. I see it as failure.

We started at walking pace, not sure if that was meant to take the sting out of France for the first 10 minutes, but it was crap. Maguires long balls were crap. Playing Henderson and Rice together meant we were on the back foot in midfield. The French goal was deserved. Rice is great, Henderson less so. Where was either of them closing down the midfield for the first goal?

Saka was our best player and scared the French silly, was in form and dangerous, so naturally he had to be substituted. Maybe Southgate was saving him for the next game?

Maguire again. Sigh. Time to go Harry. Keeping his exerience, which Southgate values so much, cost. Giroud must have been laughing.

Substitutes. Why Gareth, why? Why take off Saka? Why Sterling, why not Grealish who is in real form? Experience again, eh? Mount should have played from the start and not Henderson. Plodding wins. But let's face it Gareth, you can't do subs well. as Italy and Croatia proved. Where was your valued experience when it was needed most, from you? You change like for like, not adding anything new.

So, despite my criticism, a pretty good performance, the yoof are in, but the experienced ultimately let us down. So another vainglorious defeat, that we are all told to be pumped up about. We played as well as we could do, but ultimately it's another failure.

If Southgate wants to stay on, he will. But I just don't think he can turn all of his own experience into success. The FA should retain him as a sort of general spokesman, so he can continue to do what he does so well, as the FA's spokesperson on all the non football issues - woke this, HR that. Leaving the new manager to just worry about the football.
Talk is cheap