UK Tax - Marriage Allowance Rebate

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

UK Tax - Marriage Allowance Rebate

Post by Big Boy »

I have been made aware that I am one of 2.4 million UK taxpayers who is entitled to a rebate. The online assessment confirms this. The accompanying bumf even states entitlement if living abroad. https://www.taxcredits.org.uk/

I have checked with relatives in the UK to be sure it is not a scam (sounded too good to be true), and they confirm they have claimed/received the benefit.

This all sounds very good, but when I get to the Postcode Box, it states, "Your postcode could not be found. Please type in your address." I can find no way of typing my address, so can't continue.

With there being 2.4 million of us, I'm hoping somebody has already come across this problem and has overcome it. If so, could you please share how you did it?

Failing this, I will phone them on Monday, and will advise in case there is anybody in the same situation.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: UK Tax - Marriage Allowance Rebate

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:39 am I have been made aware that I am one of 2.4 million UK taxpayers who is entitled to a rebate. The online assessment confirms this. The accompanying bumf even states entitlement if living abroad. https://www.taxcredits.org.uk/

I have checked with relatives in the UK to be sure it is not a scam (sounded too good to be true), and they confirm they have claimed/received the benefit.

This all sounds very good, but when I get to the Postcode Box, it states, "Your postcode could not be found. Please type in your address." I can find no way of typing my address, so can't continue.

With there being 2.4 million of us, I'm hoping somebody has already come across this problem and has overcome it. If so, could you please share how you did it?

Failing this, I will phone them on Monday, and will advise in case there is anybody in the same situation.
I completed the application form and used the address of my son in the UK and got a “successful application” notification - it said the application form would be posted to me, sign and return it and they’ll send me a Cheque!!

Obviously I won’t be able to sign the form yet, but if circumstances allow, I plan to travel to the UK later this year and will do the necessary then.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I tried putting my brother's post code in, which I use for banking, and could have continued, but thought they might think I was trying to do something untoward. If nobody else has a better solution, I will phone them on Monday and take it from there.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Interested to hear how you get on - if there’s a way to supplement our frozen state pensions, I’m all for it!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No problem, I'll update if I have to phone. Frozen state pension? I wish. Another 13 months and 3 days before I get mine - not that anybody is counting :laugh:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

WOW!!!

I was almost scammed. I have just made the phone call. It seems the web address I had is not a good organisation to work with. https://www.taxcredits.org.uk/ are agents, and if I'd provided my signature, I'd have probably received a part payment, but when I started looking for the rest, it would have been unlikely I'd have got my money. For some reason, despite the lady bad mouthing them, the government still works with these guys as unscrupulous agents.

The phone number I phoned today was +44 135 535 9022 (obtained from https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... X7ywWnj0Zo), and the lady was very helpful. She confirmed I was entitled to the money and it would be transferred within a couple of weeks by cheque to my brother in the UK.

Basically the only information I needed was for my wife and I:
  • NI Number
  • Names
  • Addresses (as well as my Thai address, I also had to provide a UK address (brother) + my last UK address)
  • Dates of Birth
The phone call lasted 15 minutes and I'd guess half of that was her explaining how lucky I had been phoning her, rather than using that link.

Anyway, I'm currently a happy chappie, and the 81.85฿ phone call was 15 minutes of my life well spent.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

So does this only apply if your wife has a NI number?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think so, but phone the number I gave, they're very helpful, and everything is done in that phone call. Give them a call - it cost me <82฿. I'm sure if you're not eligible, the call would be much faster.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:58 pm I think so, but phone the number I gave, they're very helpful, and everything is done in that phone call. Give them a call - it cost me <82฿. I'm sure if you're not eligible, the call would be much faster.
Ok it sounds like an investment of a couple of pounds is in order. :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve been doing some more reading on the subject and it looks as though we won’t qualify, amongst other wording it states the following
“ Please note you will need both you and your partner’s national insurance numbers and the person making the transfer will also need to prove their identity.”

My wife doesn’t have a UK NI number so we won’t qualify.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, the cheque has arrived. Not quite the 4 figures I was expecting, but pretty damned close, and close enough to make me smile.

It was so easy to get, but I am disappointed that it was not automatic. I had heard about the allowance in a budget, but assumed my tax code would change automatically. I'm sure if it had been the other way around they would have just taken the cash. Whatever, a happy ending is always nice, and a monthly pension increase from here on :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 20