What would you do?? Over charging farangs

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: What would you do??

Post by handdrummer »

dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:58 pm
handdrummer wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:47 pm ...next to the clinic is an animal clinic. The phone number is 092 814 6238. The Drs. name is, Chaiyasit. In case you need it, he's also a Pediatrician. :shock:
... and a vet... :wink: :laugh:
And sells pencils, paper and waits on tables. At 150 baht a pop, you gotta do what you gotta do. :roll: :oops:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I'd walk away as well. It would wind me up, so best find somewhere else for peace of mind.
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

In this case, yes - I'd go elsewhere. Whilst this kind of shite happens throughout the world, sometimes you have no alternative.

For this, it seems you have many - b*ll*cks to him and spread the word.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

One poster said you can't change Thai's. I'm not trying to change him, he made his decision, and I made mine, not to support him.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I would walk away as well. But at least (assuming what I read in the original post is correct) he is being up front with it and has posted a sign (in English?) saying so.
I dislike when double pricing is applied subjectively and that the attitude of ripping off non-locals is totally acceptable. I probably pay more taxes than 90% of the local population.
วินเชนท์
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I just consider it like an add-on sales tax. Or another way of thinking of it, Thais get a discount. In Canada this year we are cutting our own hair as the barbers are shut down. Be thankful that your shops of all kinds are open.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

VincentD wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:13 am I would walk away as well. But at least (assuming what I read in the original post is correct) he is being up front with it and has posted a sign (in English?) saying so.
I dislike when double pricing is applied subjectively and that the attitude of ripping off non-locals is totally acceptable. I probably pay more taxes than 90% of the local population.
The sign was in Thai, but some english. I managed to figure it out and confirmed it with my wife. You're correct at least he was upfront about it
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Storekeeper
Novice
Novice

Post by Storekeeper »

Sounds like the barber was blatantly obvious he could care less about foreign customers. I’d move on and find another place. I might make it a point once or twice to go past the place going to and coming from my next haircut in the hopes he’d notice.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’s probably a fact that most barbers know that in their home country, foreigners would be paying 3/4/5 times the cost of a haircut back home so charge a (relatively) small premium for a haircut. I can’t believe that so many people get so excited over 20 Baht when there’s so many other things to worry about, and please don’t lecture me about the principle. We live in a world of double standards, but that’s life - why do Apple charge $400 for a device in the US and £400 ($550) in the UK - why do car manufacturers charge $30,000 for a car in the US and £30,000 ($41,000) in the UK - because they can.
buksida

Re: What would you do?? Over charging farangs

Post by buksida »

Vote with your feet mate, there is no justification for over-charging foreigners no matter what country it is.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:11 am It’s probably a fact that most barbers know that in their home country, foreigners would be paying 3/4/5 times the cost of a haircut back home so charge a (relatively) small premium for a haircut. I can’t believe that so many people get so excited over 20 Baht when there’s so many other things to worry about, and please don’t lecture me about the principle. We live in a world of double standards, but that’s life - why do Apple charge $400 for a device in the US and £400 ($550) in the UK - why do car manufacturers charge $30,000 for a car in the US and £30,000 ($41,000) in the UK - because they can.
You can't compare the above with double pricing within any single country. Much of what you point out is because of different tax rules. One of the differences between the US and Europe, for example, is that the listed prices have already had VAT etc added which can raise the price by 20%, whereas in the US, sales tax is added at the check-out.

Just one example.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:09 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:11 am It’s probably a fact that most barbers know that in their home country, foreigners would be paying 3/4/5 times the cost of a haircut back home so charge a (relatively) small premium for a haircut. I can’t believe that so many people get so excited over 20 Baht when there’s so many other things to worry about, and please don’t lecture me about the principle. We live in a world of double standards, but that’s life - why do Apple charge $400 for a device in the US and £400 ($550) in the UK - why do car manufacturers charge $30,000 for a car in the US and £30,000 ($41,000) in the UK - because they can.
You can't compare the above with double pricing within any single country. Much of what you point out is because of different tax rules. One of the differences between the US and Europe, for example, is that the listed prices have already had VAT etc added which can raise the price by 20%, whereas in the US, sales tax is added at the check-out.

Just one example.
I’m sure you’re correct (in fact are you ever wrong?), but regarding the original issue, it’s down to the individual whether they are happy to pay a small premium or not - as far as I’m concerned, providing the service was to my standard I’d pay it, but for those that are not happy, then do as Buks suggests and vote with your feet.
PGS

Post by PGS »

I would have asked if its true he charges farangs 20% extra, and why. Just to make him aware that it is noticed and not aprreciated. I would not go there again. It is not over 20 bath, but overthe principle.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

PGS wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:49 pm I would have asked if its true he charges farangs 20% extra, and why. Just to make him aware that it is noticed and not aprreciated. I would not go there again. It is not over 20 bath, but overthe principle.
:laugh: And he would have said yes, smiled pleasantly, and then remained blissfully unaware of your absence.

I get the principle thing, really I do, but I regularly have a good chuckle when I see yet another establishment added to Big Boy's 'Never Again' list. They just don't care, guys!! :)

Stand by your guns, by all means, but don't expect anything to change. :cheers:
This is the way
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:30 pm
PGS wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:49 pm I would have asked if its true he charges farangs 20% extra, and why. Just to make him aware that it is noticed and not aprreciated. I would not go there again. It is not over 20 bath, but overthe principle.
:laugh: And he would have said yes, smiled pleasantly, and then remained blissfully unaware of your absence.

I get the principle thing, really I do, but I regularly have a good chuckle when I see yet another establishment added to Big Boy's 'Never Again' list. They just don't care, guys!! :)

Stand by your guns, by all means, but don't expect anything to change. :cheers:
I don't think any of us expect anything to change here, we just like a good wank.