Pizza in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Pizza in Hua Hin

Post by Dannie Boy »

Jack_Batty wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:58 pm First time I’ve heard a pizza called a pie, but that aside, both look very substantial and at least two meals worth in each pizza (pie)!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, that’s probably another one of those Americanisms. We call ‘em pies.
I’m not trying to be funny but do you call pies - pies?

Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:02 pm
Jack_Batty wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:58 pm First time I’ve heard a pizza called a pie, but that aside, both look very substantial and at least two meals worth in each pizza (pie)!!

Yeah, that’s probably another one of those Americanisms. We call ‘em pies.
I’m not trying to be funny but do you call pies - pies?

Like the dessert pies? Cherry, apple, pumpkin? Yeah, those are pies. I don’t really know why pizzas are called pies. I think that is what the early Italian immigrants in New York were calling them when they were serving them up. I guess it stuck. “When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that’s amoré!”
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

In the pics of the pizza from Rolling Stone above, in the first pic, it looks like all the ingredients were incorporated into the pizza, in the 2nd pic, it looks like most of the ingredients have just been plonked on top. Or are they the same pizza?

Anyway, your experience is helpful. A friend who bought pizza from there told me to avoid!
Talk is cheap
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Had a very good pizza at "Volare" yesterday evening, thoroughly enjoyed it, best so far in the area.
Thanks Jack_Batty for the tip
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

joelle wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:36 am Had a very good pizza at "Volare" yesterday evening, thoroughly enjoyed it, best so far in the area.
Thanks Jack_Batty for the tip
Very happy to hear that you enjoyed the pizza. I love that place!
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

caller wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:30 pm In the pics of the pizza from Rolling Stone above, in the first pic, it looks like all the ingredients were incorporated into the pizza, in the 2nd pic, it looks like most of the ingredients have just been plonked on top. Or are they the same pizza?

Anyway, your experience is helpful. A friend who bought pizza from there told me to avoid!
Two different pizzas from one week apart. The second pizza was a disappointment. It tasted much better the next day, heated in a skillet with mozzarella from 7-Eleven added.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a restaurant called Carlo, down that street headed towards the Hilton from Chocolate Factory. I don’t know the name of that street. Carlo is a really great Italian restaurant. I’ve eaten there many times, and finally decided to give their pizza a shot at the title.

Not really a pizza, per se. In the US, we would call this a ‘flatbread appetizer’! Haha. Anyways, you know what? Good pizza. Solid. Nice crust with a really good, salty flavor. The ingredients were top-notch, and the cheese, while kinda meager, was evident in the taste. I did enjoy this ‘pizza’, even though there was nothing left to take home and crisp in the skillet the next day. I recommend it.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Damn ... this and the fish n chips thread have me drooling, can't get anything like that out here in the boonies unless we cook it ourselves.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

buksida wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:01 am Damn ... this and the fish n chips thread have me drooling, can't get anything like that out here in the boonies unless we cook it ourselves.
I would be tempted, should I live out in the sticks, to have a brick pizza oven constructed. I would try, and try again, to make the perfect pizza. I cannot live without pizza. It is my favorite food of all time, and I try to eat it once a week.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Being carb-conscious, I reckon I eat pizza 3-4 times a year so it's not a biggie.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

buksida wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:06 am Being carb-conscious, I reckon I eat pizza 3-4 times a year so it's not a biggie.
Yeah, pizza definitely does not figure into a a carb-conscious diet. I used to do that. Good diet. The 20:4 intermittent fasting works way better for me. Mainly because I don’t want to restrict what I eat and crave. I just limit when I can eat it….which kinda sucks too. But I don’t wanna be fat and I don’t wanna die early, so I do it.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Jack_Batty wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:55 am
There is a restaurant called Carlo, down that street headed towards the Hilton from Chocolate Factory. I don’t know the name of that street. Carlo is a really great Italian restaurant. I’ve eaten there many times, and finally decided to give their pizza a shot at the title.
Well, it might not be a pizza in the US, but to the rest of us, it most definitely is. That looks spot on to me. But hard to gauge the size, was it big enough? I would definitely like to give that a go.
Talk is cheap
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

It was big enough…for one meal. It was very good, but smaller than a normal pizza.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It also looked good to me - very much homemade style - and more than enough to satisfy my appetite!!
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:34 pm It also looked good to me - very much homemade style - and more than enough to satisfy my appetite!!
Sorry, everyone. My last post was about a restaurant called a La Mer, which is next door to Carlo. I ate at each place on successive nights, so I got confused. My pizza review for Carlo is forthcoming, but that last pizza was from a la Mer.