Hobby shop/Model makers suppliers.

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Hobby shop/Model makers suppliers.

Post by Green Nomad »

Hi All,

I have been searching the net for any good model boat material suppliers anywhere in Thailand. There are a few locals who are into radio controlled boats etc in HH area. But as I am not in the country at the moment I am unable to ask anyone..I am researching possibilities for when I retire.

I construct scratch build model boats (not using plastic kits) I draw my own plans and use materials like plywood and balsa wood to build them. I need to find a supplier I can use preferably in Thailand to bypass the need to order from overseas.

Any help appreciated, if anyone is in Thaiwatsadu anytime could they please have a look if they have sheets of plywood 2-3mm thickness.

Thanks again GN.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Hobby shop/Model makers suppliers.

Post by HHTel »

You must be a really interesting person. Note to myself not to invite you for a drink.

Only joking! Seriously though, I'm quite jealous of your skill.

I'm often in Thaiwasadu so I will have a look the next time I'm there.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Ahh,,but then you will never know, will you!
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

Have you thought about investing in a 3d printer?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

wenshidi wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:02 pm Have you thought about investing in a 3d printer?
Plastic Resin and not wood... God forbid!! :shock: 3D Printing doesn't exactly compare to "Model Making".

Wish I had Green Nomad's skill, but unfortunately I'm more geared to lump hammers, spanners and welding sets..... :oops: :roll:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I spent 2 years at CSE Level woodwork trying and failing to make a salt and pepper pot so I must ask what are these alien things called lump hammers, spanners and welding sets. :laugh:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

sateeb wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:27 pm I spent 2 years at CSE Level woodwork trying and failing to make a salt and pepper pot so I must ask what are these alien things called lump hammers, spanners and welding sets. :laugh:
I'm afraid I'm with you on this, sateeb. My father spent most of his working life, from 1920 to the 60s, as a shoe maker and repairer. In the days when you could keep a car running with a stocking and a piece of string, he could turn his hand to anything. Unfortunately, all I inherited from him was his charm... :oops: :laugh:

[EDIT: Though I did once make a very effective toasting fork in the manual school's forge! 8) ]
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

sateeb wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:27 pm I spent 2 years at CSE Level woodwork trying and failing to make a salt and pepper pot so I must ask what are these alien things called lump hammers, spanners and welding sets. :laugh:
Not a lot to do with wood!!

That said, I did make a pencil box in woodwork many moons ago which I was quite proud of..... No Lump Hammer, Spanner or Welding kit required... :D
dtaai-maai wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:06 pmMy father spent most of his working life, from 1920 to the 60s, as a shoe maker and repairer. In the days when you could keep a car running with a stocking and a piece of string, he could turn his hand to anything.
Fair play to the man - sounds like my father, his brother and their father before them (well, you know, fathers. uncles and grandfathers!). They would however be terrified at some of the technology these days!!

..... And nothing wrong with a Lump Hammer! :thumb: :D
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

pharvey wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:44 am
Not a lot to do with wood!!

That said, I did make a pencil box in woodwork many moons ago which I was quite proud of..... No Lump Hammer, Spanner or Welding kit required... :D
dtaai-maai wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:06 pmMy father spent most of his working life, from 1920 to the 60s, as a shoe maker and repairer. In the days when you could keep a car running with a stocking and a piece of string, he could turn his hand to anything.
Fair play to the man - sounds like my father, his brother and their father before them (well, you know, fathers. uncles and grandfathers!). They would however be terrified at some of the technology these days!!

..... And nothing wrong with a Lump Hammer! :thumb: :D
Not the correct name for a lump hammer, it is called an Irish screwdriver. :D
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:15 amNot the correct name for a lump hammer, it is called an Irish screwdriver. :D
:D

I was being diplomatic - don't ask for the Welsh translation.... But you could try "taro'r bugger"[/b

:cheers: :cheers:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

pharvey wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:58 pm
wenshidi wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:02 pm Have you thought about investing in a 3d printer?
Plastic Resin and not wood... God forbid!! :shock: 3D Printing doesn't exactly compare to "Model Making".

Wish I had Green Nomad's skill, but unfortunately I'm more geared to lump hammers, spanners and welding sets..... :oops: :roll:
No wonder my woodworking was never good. I used the US version of Pharveys lump hammers, spanners and welding sets to shape it.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Is the hobby shop on the top floor of Market Village still open, not sure if they sell balsa wood. Other than that Lazada might be worth checking out as you don't even need to be in Thailand to have a look through there.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

The larger B2S shops (one at MV) have a limited wood hobby section. Though never been in the HH branch. If there this week & remember, I'll take a peek.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

KhunLA wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:37 am The larger B2S shops (one at MV) have a limited wood hobby section. Though never been in the HH branch. If there this week & remember, I'll take a peek.
That’ll be a lot more helpful to the OP than looking for lump hammers :duck:
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

pharvey wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:43 am
lindosfan1 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:15 amNot the correct name for a lump hammer, it is called an Irish screwdriver. :D
:D

I was being diplomatic - don't ask for the Welsh translation.... But you could try "taro'r bugger"[/b

:cheers: :cheers:

:) Now I know where the term "buggar it" came from. :D :cheers:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.